#006: Hard Work

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
SupahGamuh said:
We'll ever see the modern iteration of Rad Panda?, if so, I want Rad Panda Generations.
Now there's the real scary thought. xD

Forget the "Oh modern games are too easy! D:" thing.
How about wondering how the modern Rad Panda games are doing?

Will this "New" Rad Panda try to kill the "old" Rad Panda?
Like what happened with new Sonic and classic Sonic over in the Critical Miss universe? <.<

DementedSheep

Jan 8, 2010
Caramel Frappe said:
Now this i'm really interested in ... seeing her play modern games. This comic is really showing potential and I look forward to the next one guys :) ... well now that I think about it, does Erin die at the end? Because the series is called Erin Dies Alone ....

...... That would be a sucker punch man.
Plot twist! She's already dead.

Piorn

Dec 26, 2007
I still don't get this series.
It's nice, I guess? It's about games, kinda?!

I don't know, I just don't get the tone. Is it supposed to be sad or funny? Maybe it just needs a bit of time to get going, and for the plot to happen.

Darklupus

Mar 13, 2010
"I still don't get this series.
It's nice, I guess? It's about games, kinda?!
I don't know, I just don't get the tone. Is it supposed to be sad or funny? Maybe it just needs a bit of time to get going, and for the plot to happen."
It's about why Erin is the way she is and her "rehabilitation" through the use of video games.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Imp Emissary said:
SupahGamuh said:
We'll ever see the modern iteration of Rad Panda?, if so, I want Rad Panda Generations.

Like what happened with new Sonic and classic Sonic over in the Critical Miss universe? <.<
Maybe they made him "edgy", broody and maybe had a noir antihero story where he wields guns to rescue a hyper realistic girl.

Imp_Emissary

Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
SupahGamuh said:
Imp Emissary said:
SupahGamuh said:

Maybe they made him "edgy", broody and maybe had a noir antihero story where he wields guns to rescue a hiper realistic girl.
Hehehe. I can see it now. xD

Shade the Panda.

Then Rad Panda and all his friends fight against a new villain. An alligator in a robot suit named, Libretto. ;p

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Imp Emissary said:
SupahGamuh said:
Imp Emissary said:
SupahGamuh said:

Maybe they made him "edgy", broody and maybe had a noir antihero story where he wields guns to rescue a hiper realistic girl.

Shade the Panda.

Then Rad Panda and all his friends fight against a new villain. An alligator in a robot suit named, Libretto. ;p
Just so you guys don't accuse me of stealing this down the line, there is an arc planned called "Bad Panda."

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Well, I think aging has a lot to do with it as well, as does a lot of older folks playing games, oftentimes having grown up with them. To be brutally honest my hands are not what they used to be, but even before that I noticed my reflexes and reaction times being a lot slower than when I was a kid playing NES and SNES games. I very much doubt I could do a lot of the games I used to play and beat back when I was a kid the same way.

The problem with games nowadays is that making them challenging for all audiences is very difficult, and gaming companies find the idea of creating games that are not for the broadest audience possible to be an anathema, so as a result every game must be objectively easy by even the lowest end gamers.

At the end of the day though being a good gamer has very little value as well because of it. See, nowadays putting in a lot of effort, frustration, or simply time to see things that anyone who invests the same amount of time and effort can see lacks value. You dump say 40 hours into a game you might see a basic story carefully crafted not to offend anyone, and which anyone who put 40 hours into the game can see. Compared to say older school games where only a few would have the persistence to see the end. In old school MMOs like "Everquest" only a tiny handful of people would see the original plane of sky as well, and thus doing so had value. When the only value in gaming comes from being able to do and see things very few other people who want to ever will, and then you give everyone the same experience, one has to wonder what the point is after a while. At the end of the day one of the barriers I think gaming is running into is making the experience valuable, as much as interaction can be cool, even games that tell a story oftentimes run into the problems that there are other mediums which can tell a story as well, or better, than a game can. In short I think games require a feeling of accomplishment to be good, and frankly that can't just come from pointless achievements, or telling a story which likely could have been told a number of different ways. With all do respect for David Cage, I have yet to see any real evidence where a video game is creating more emotion than a movie doing largely the same thing. Pushing X for the character to brush their teeth or whatever doesn't make me empathize with them more... maybe even less if it becomes annoying.

Imp_Emissary

Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
SupahGamuh said:
*being totally innocent*
[https://imageshack.com/i/j68lk4j]
Yes. It was a trap, and yes. She can see you. xD

The Wooster said:
Imp Emissary said:
SupahGamuh said:
Imp Emissary said:
SupahGamuh said:

Shade the Panda.

Just so you guys don't accuse me of stealing this down the line, there is an arc planned called "Bad Panda."
"Good artists copy great artists steal", right? xD

No worries, I've got no copyrights on any of that (and Cory can draw WAY better than I can ;p).
I look forward to seeing how that arc goes. You both have done very well so far. :D

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
eww ... modern games ...

make her tough it out, there isn't nearly enough good games coming out anymore to justify moving to modern games.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Imp Emissary said:
*in hushed whispers* Hey. SupahGamuh. Grey and Cory are on to our plan. It won't work now so just destroy these legal documents so no one finds out.

At least now we know what to expect down the line :3

Spyre2k

Apr 9, 2013
Modern games seem easier due in large part to the frequency of saving. A lot of the older games were based on the arcade model of every time you sit down to play you start from the beginning. This means that you have to get every move along the way as perfect as possible or you start over.

Take Super Mario Brothers for example. The first ones you had to complete the entire game in a single run with limited lives. But then they went to a world map which you progress on so instead of having to clear multiple levels and multiple bosses on a set number of lives you were given a set number of lives per level.

Since you are not repeating the same content over and over, trying to get that that tiny bit of new content the game finishes in less time thus giving the appearance of it being easier and shorter. This constant repetitive nature though also led to a lot of practicing which is why people became really good, though since the levels were always the same it was more memorization of what was coming next.

People don't have the patients to sit there and repeat the same task over and over hoping to get that one perfect run and beat the game. They want a challenge but once they beat it they want to go onto the next challenge, not repeat that challenge 100 times to prove they have mastered it just for the privilege of doing the next challenge every once in a while.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
When I'm 110, I'm still going to outgame my relatives. I ain't been gamin' for a century just to be beaten by whippersnappers!