#015: Checkmate

Rowan93

Aug 25, 2011
BX3 said:
Rowan93 said:
I don't like this joke, in its many iterations. It basically relies on a weird dumb misconception - that there are or were people who actually believed putting a flag somewhere made that place yours. Raising a flag on a territory is just an official symbolic way of announcing "we own this place now".

Inb4 "it's a joke", dumb jokes are not made immune from criticism by the simple fact that they are jokes, at least respond in a more substantive way than that.
*looks around*
But... no one...responded? Who're you talking to?
"Inb4" is short for "in before", and means that I'm calling in advance a likely way people are going to respond. I'm talking to those hypothetical readers of my post who would respond that way.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Well, in Halo the humans are refugees stranded on a ring planet, fleeing from a murderous and over zealously religious group of aliens who worship the ring as some form of divine artefact, but meh, close enough.

canadamus_prime said:
I claim this planet in the name of Mars.
Flag or it never happened.

BX3

Mar 7, 2011
Rowan93 said:
BX3 said:
Rowan93 said:
I don't like this joke, in its many iterations. It basically relies on a weird dumb misconception - that there are or were people who actually believed putting a flag somewhere made that place yours. Raising a flag on a territory is just an official symbolic way of announcing "we own this place now".

Inb4 "it's a joke", dumb jokes are not made immune from criticism by the simple fact that they are jokes, at least respond in a more substantive way than that.
*looks around*
But... no one...responded? Who're you talking to?
"Inb4" is short for "in before", and means that I'm calling in advance a likely way people are going to respond. I'm talking to those hypothetical readers of my post who would respond that way.
Ah yeah, I know the terminology. My joke was poking at the fact that the way you worded the post made ya look kiiinda crazy, like you were riling yourself up at an enemy who hadn't bothered to exist yet.

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
Andy Shandy said:
In that case, I claim this thread in the name of Scotland.

Alba gu bràth and all that jazz. You can collect your complimentary kilts, Irn Bru and Tunnock's teacake on the way out.
Eh. I wear a tartan skirt most of the time anyway... Not much of a leap...
Besides, I was supposedly conceived in scotland. (yes, I know. TMI. XD)
But Irn Bru?

Do I have to? >_>

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
CrystalShadow said:
Andy Shandy said:

Alba gu bràth and all that jazz. You can collect your complimentary kilts, Irn Bru and Tunnock's teacake on the way out.
But Irn Bru?

Do I have to? >_>
But that's the most important part! We'll have to replace it somehow.

You shall have to learn one of the songs of our people.

Either 500 Miles by The Proclaimers

Or Why Does It Always Rain On Me? by Travis.

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
Andy Shandy said:
CrystalShadow said:
Andy Shandy said:

But Irn Bru?

Do I have to? >_>
But that's the most important part! We'll have to replace it somehow.

You shall have to learn one of the songs of our people.

Either 500 Miles by The Proclaimers

Or Why Does It Always Rain On Me? by Travis.

... I can live with that.

It shall be done! XD