#017 Inspiration

zombiejoe

Sep 2, 2009
DrownedAmmet said:
Alleged_Alec said:
Davroth said:
Suicide jokes. And I thought this webcomic couldn't become any more classy.
Aww, poor little thing. You didn't see them coming? I mean, it's not like the FUCKING GODDAMN TITLE indicates that suicide is going to be a subject. Furthermore, how is this a fucking suicide joke? It's Erin killing her fucking in-game character because she's sick of capture the flag.

Are you one of those people who read the original Rape Wolf comics and thought it was a joke about rape?
I didn't think the joke here was bad.
But what "Rape Wolf" joke are you talking about, and how was it not about rape?

It's more a joke about quest requirements, the dickwolf thing is just for exaggerated comedy. Some people didn't care for the comic.

DrownedAmmet

Apr 13, 2015
zombiejoe said:
DrownedAmmet said:
Alleged_Alec said:
Davroth said:
Aww, poor little thing. You didn't see them coming? I mean, it's not like the FUCKING GODDAMN TITLE indicates that suicide is going to be a subject. Furthermore, how is this a fucking suicide joke? It's Erin killing her fucking in-game character because she's sick of capture the flag.

Are you one of those people who read the original Rape Wolf comics and thought it was a joke about rape?
I didn't think the joke here was bad.
But what "Rape Wolf" joke are you talking about, and how was it not about rape?
It's more a joke about quest requirements, the dickwolf thing is just for exaggerated comedy. Some people didn't care for the comic.
That's what I thought you meant. There really is no comparison here, though, that debacle was a million times worse, the PA guys really could have handled it better.
So yeah, this joke was fine for me here because it's all in her head, whereas I had a problem more with how PA reacted than the actual joke itself

ArcaneGamer

Dec 21, 2014
Alleged_Alec said:
Davroth said:

I concur, lighten the Heck up. Besides, the joke was funny. ...And now for the appropriate quote: "You magnificent bastard, I READ YOUR BOOK!" =D

Demagogue

Sperm Alien
Mar 26, 2009
zombiejoe said:

Oh man... I've never seen that one. That was priceless... maybe I'll start reading PA again. I can't count how many times I've done something along the same vein... "Oh sorry NPC #6 I only needed 5 of you... have fun being tortured or whatever... I'm sure someone will be by eventually!"

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
inu-kun said:
Again, pointing to a trope =/= actual joke.
I think the real joke was the silly way in which the characters managed to justify the trope. Who has ever put that much thought into why space soldiers are running back and forth capturing each other's flags?

BX3

Mar 7, 2011
Create a running gag where Erin repeatedly tries to kill herself all throughout the comic, giving more credence to the name and giving the reader the impression that it could quite possibly end at any given moment.

I said do it!

Davroth said:
zombiejoe said:
The hilarious part to me is that I never really commented on the quality of the joke. But yeah, rape and suicide jokes are just so damn classy. In fact, they are the pinnacle of comedy. Just ask the aristocrats.

(The comic isn't all that funny because it makes fun of stuff that has been made fun of for years by now. Talk about beating a dead horse.)
Or Hannah & Barbara!

Also, I personally find it kinda offensive that you're trivializing the very real slaughter and abuse of horses with that last bit.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
I see two things being satirized in today's strip. 1) Why games like these still have a Capture-the-flag mode, and
2) Modern FPS's narratives injecting some forced ethical uncertainty.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
I'm just waiting for Erin to begin relentlessly spawn killing Rad until he gets annoyed enough to put in another game.

Davroth

The shadow remains cast!
Apr 27, 2011
BX3 said:
Also, I personally find it kinda offensive that you're trivializing the very real slaughter and abuse of horses with that last bit.
I'm not the one beating the proverbial dead horse, friend. I'm just pointing out that someone is.

SKBPinkie

Oct 6, 2013
I know it's a joke and all, but sometimes I get the feeling that people who cover games don't really care for gameplay.

Story / characters / setting seem to be of prime importance. That in itself is fine, but no mention of or discussion about mechanics, controls, core gameplay, but fawning over stuff that has even semi-decent writing (let's face it - games are not good in that area) just makes no sense when you're covering games. Gameplay should be supreme, but it almost never gets the spotlight, and even if it does - people barely discuss it in detail.

Is it because gameplay doesn't always lend itself to good discussion when compared to narrative elements? Or could it be because people who are in this business are usually good writers and are more interested in issues that pertain to writing?

That wasn't strictly aimed at the comic, btw. Sorry if this seems a bit off-topic.

Demagogue

Sperm Alien
Mar 26, 2009
Fappy said:
I'm just waiting for Erin to begin relentlessly spawn killing Rad until he gets annoyed enough to put in another game.
I'm strangely okay with this...

hittite

Nov 9, 2009
sageoftruth said:
inu-kun said:
Again, pointing to a trope =/= actual joke.
I think the real joke was the silly way in which the characters managed to justify the trope. Who has ever put that much thought into why space soldiers are running back and forth capturing each other's flags?
Red vs Blue?

Alleged_Alec

Sep 2, 2008
Davroth said:
zombiejoe said:
Davroth said:
Alleged_Alec said:
Davroth said:

Damn, seems like I hit a nerve there. There, there. I'll get you some blankets and some hot cacao. It'll be alright, pumpkin. Everything will be alright.
Man, everyone is just so sassy on these forums.
The hilarious part to me is that I never really commented on the quality of the joke. But yeah, rape and suicide jokes are just so damn classy. In fact, they are the pinnacle of comedy. Just ask the aristocrats.
Tell me, where did I say anything about the quality of the joke?

BX3

Mar 7, 2011
Davroth said:
BX3 said:
I'm not the one beating the proverbial dead horse, friend. I'm just pointing out that someone is.
Irrelevant! The use of the phrase in the first place is what promotes your thoughtlessness. How'm I supposed to laugh at overdone suicide jokes when you're over here using animal abuse as a turn of phrase appropriate for voicing your displeasure? How?!