#019: Faint Praise

Megalodon

May 14, 2010
Xsjadoblayde said:
Ok that is a logical deduction definately. There are much larger downsides to such a choice though. Not only it being highly addictive, the euphoria lasts on average 5 mins, compared to 3 - 4 hours.
Crack brings Loss of appetite, sleep, sexual functions/desires. While the mjuana has General societal acceptance and ease of access to such a thing...crack being a stimulant as opposed to an opiate would be very likely to increase unwanted thought processes. The dogma attached to everything not legal imposes definitions on those who do not choose to study. (Which is of course no fault of their own, only that of the society that raises and teaches.)
While I don't dispute the rationale behind your answer to 'why not crack?', weed is not an opiate, it is a cannbinoid. While both types of drug do have sedative affects, they're completely different molecules, acting on different receptors in the brain.

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
Kopikatsu said:
Imp Emissary said:
uncanny474 said:
Imp Emissary said:
As for the pot thing, that's one of the few good arguments against pot that I've heard.

Not enough to say it should be illegal while we can still go ape on shit like alcohol and cigarettes (so long as you're old enough), but that's a whole other thing.
I mean, the usual mind-blank of choice for most shut-ins I know is booze, not pot. You black out instead of just getting high, it's legal to anyone 21 or over, so it's easy to get a hold of, and as far as I know, it's easier to maintain drunkenness than a high.
What I meant was more that pot is used as a tool to help people avoid things (such as thinking about their problems or more importantly, facing them). Being used by shut-ins or not, that is bad.

I brought up alcohol and cigarettes because these are also used to avoid/alleviate stress (a lot of the time to the point of abuse), but are honestly more harmful to you than pot, yet still legal.

To sum it up, abusing pot to escape your problems is bad, but it is comparably less damaging than using other more legal substances.
They tried to made alcohol illegal in the US. It lead to the government poisoning industrial alcohol in a failed attempt to stop people from drinking it and people killing each other in the streets.

Alcohol is only legal because people will literally murder each other if it isn't.
Indeed. Bootlegging really helped to build the foundation of organized crime in the U.S.

Pot being illegal didn't go much better.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Megalodon said:
Xsjadoblayde said:
Ok that is a logical deduction definately. There are much larger downsides to such a choice though. Not only it being highly addictive, the euphoria lasts on average 5 mins, compared to 3 - 4 hours.
Crack brings Loss of appetite, sleep, sexual functions/desires. While the mjuana has General societal acceptance and ease of access to such a thing...crack being a stimulant as opposed to an opiate would be very likely to increase unwanted thought processes. The dogma attached to everything not legal imposes definitions on those who do not choose to study. (Which is of course no fault of their own, only that of the society that raises and teaches.)
While I don't dispute the rationale behind your answer to 'why not crack?', weed is not an opiate, it is a cannbinoid. While both types of drug do have sedative affects, they're completely different molecules, acting on different receptors in the brain.
Oh dear, my mistake. Sorry there! I believe drinking much wine and hurridly phone typing makes brain not think the most logical of thoughts and proof think the thoughts so they think like a thought should think.