#022 Negative Reinforcement

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
The plot. It thickens.

I already liked this comic from the beginning but I have to say that it gets better and better wich each issue. Can't wait to see the next one in a few days! :D

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Gunny knows what's up. The aliens are throwing everything they have at Erin, who isn't anywhere near the human's flag anyway, while Gunny, Rad, and the others go get the aliens' flag.
Besides, she kind of wants to die anyway. She tried to blow her own brains out a few strips ago!

Bindal

May 14, 2012
Ukomba said:
Pft, she's the player character in the first level of a scifi shooter. She should be practically unkillable. Shepard would be holding back the evasion single handed with nothing but a pistol. ;)
Depends. It might be scripted that she loses.

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
008Zulu said:
If she goes in to the fetal position and plays dead, she'll be fine.
NOOOOO! That's how you deal with bears, not aliens! D:

Quick Erin! Cough of them! Kill them with human cooties!
Happyninja42 said:
Oh no, a person who doesn't give a shit about anything or anyone, and constantly shit talks those around her is reaping the results of her behavior. Boo hoo, I'm supposed to feel bad for her at this point? Oh, wait, no, no I don't. Let her die so she can stop bothering everyone in the world.

The one thing I can say about this comic line is that it seems to have isolated Erin's shit behavior into it's own strip, so that the CM stuff can actually go back to just talking about games and stuff. Instead of it being a platform for this emotional little freak bag.

Yes, you are correct, I don't like Erin at all.
xD Wow. You're pretty salty there ninja.

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
RJ 17 said:
OOOOOOO! On the off-chance that Erin actually does fight back, let her get a headshot and have confetti spray out! :D

Grunt Birthday was one of the few things I genuinely enjoyed about the Halo games. :3
<.< Grunt Birthday? When does this happen in a halo game?
inu-kun said:
The walls of text reminds me of CAD, *insert abortion miscarriage joke*
Slight mistake. All is fixed.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Imp Emissary said:
Happyninja42 said:
Oh no, a person who doesn't give a shit about anything or anyone, and constantly shit talks those around her is reaping the results of her behavior. Boo hoo, I'm supposed to feel bad for her at this point? Oh, wait, no, no I don't. Let her die so she can stop bothering everyone in the world.

The one thing I can say about this comic line is that it seems to have isolated Erin's shit behavior into it's own strip, so that the CM stuff can actually go back to just talking about games and stuff. Instead of it being a platform for this emotional little freak bag.

I don't like Erin, I've never liked Erin. I think she's a pretty deplorable person the way they portray her over the years, and the fact that they try to justify her shitty behavior with "oh she's got mental issues" doesn't hold any water with me at all. I don't care what your mental damage is, it's not justification to be a fucking asshole to the people around you. And Erin is a total shit. So yeah, I don't like her, and I enjoy seeing her suffer in these comics. Though I know it won't happen, I'd like to see it where she actually does die, and they write her out of their continuity, and just let the other characters do stuff. It won't happen, but I can dream.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Imp Emissary said:
RJ 17 said:
OOOOOOO! On the off-chance that Erin actually does fight back, let her get a headshot and have confetti spray out! :D
Grunt Birthday was one of the few things I genuinely enjoyed about the Halo games. :3
It's been around for quite a while, it's one of the skulls you can find/unlock. Some are challenges that make the game harder (no checkpoints, etc), some are cheat-modes that make it easier (infinite ammo, etc), and others are just for fun...such as Grunt Birthday Party. With this activated, every time you head-shot a Grunt, the head pops and sprays confetti all over the place, accompanied by a group of children crying "Yaaaaaaaay!"

For your reference:

Win32error

Jul 18, 2011
Happyninja42 said:
Imp Emissary said:
Happyninja42 said:

I don't like Erin, I've never liked Erin. I think she's a pretty deplorable person the way they portray her over the years, and the fact that they try to justify her shitty behavior with "oh she's got mental issues" doesn't hold any water with me at all. I don't care what your mental damage is, it's not justification to be a fucking asshole to the people around you. And Erin is a total shit. So yeah, I don't like her, and I enjoy seeing her suffer in these comics. Though I know it won't happen, I'd like to see it where she actually does die, and they write her out of their continuity, and just let the other characters do stuff. It won't happen, but I can dream.
You know, you're free to dislike what you want, but do you really expect fictional characters to show normal behaviour? Especially webcomic protagonists, don't they usually act like assholes judged by real life standards? I'd rather not do that, or else you end up like the seinfeld finale.

That being said, I find Erin annoying, just in the sympathetic way.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Win32error said:
You know, you're free to dislike what you want, but do you really expect fictional characters to show normal behaviour? Especially webcomic protagonists, don't they usually act like assholes judged by real life standards? I'd rather not do that, or else you end up like the seinfeld finale.

That being said, I find Erin annoying, just in the sympathetic way.[/quote]

No, I don't expect them to always behave in a normal manner. But when everything she does is some form of self absorbed, self destructive, self possessed piece of crap, that does nothing but annoy/anger/abuse/hurt her friends (read as "the people who put up with her shit"), I have zero sympathy for any of her problems. They have intentionally made her a fairly despicable person to those around her, which is probably why she's "alone" in E.D.A. Or at least that's my theory anyway. And considering that her behavior is pretty close to reality, in the way she is unstable, and abuses the people around her, then yes I'm going to judge her based on reality. I've known people who act like her in real life, and they were fucking shitbags, so I'm going to view her accordingly.

If they want to give her some kind of turning around storyline, where she stops being a little shit, and becomes a decent person, fine, good for her. I doubt they will, because they've basically invested too much work into her as being the annoying crazy girl trope. But even if they do eventually turn her around personality wise, it doesn't change the fact that right now, she's an unlikeable person who pushes everyone she knows away, because of her ego and other issues. And I have zero sympathy for someone like that.

dragonswarrior

Also a Social Justice Warrior
Feb 13, 2012
Add another "Your earnest sexism is endearing private Raccoon, but tactically unsound" being one of the greatest lines ever posts.

Demonjazz

Sexually identifies as Tiefling
Sep 13, 2008
No, I don't expect them to always behave in a normal manner. But when everything she does is some form of self absorbed, self destructive, self possessed piece of crap, that does nothing but annoy/anger/abuse/hurt her friends (read as "the people who put up with her shit"), I have zero sympathy for any of her problems. They have intentionally made her a fairly despicable person to those around her, which is probably why she's "alone" in E.D.A. Or at least that's my theory anyway. And considering that her behavior is pretty close to reality, in the way she is unstable, and abuses the people around her, then yes I'm going to judge her based on reality. I've known people who act like her in real life, and they were fucking shitbags, so I'm going to view her accordingly.

If they want to give her some kind of turning around storyline, where she stops being a little shit, and becomes a decent person, fine, good for her. I doubt they will, because they've basically invested too much work into her as being the annoying crazy girl trope. But even if they do eventually turn her around personality wise, it doesn't change the fact that right now, she's an unlikeable person who pushes everyone she knows away, because of her ego and other issues. And I have zero sympathy for someone like that.
You've appear to have been reading long before this comic started, and you seem to know that you don't like her personality, and you knew this comic would be a drama story arc like the ones you hated from CM... So why the hell are you still reading? If you don't like something it's not like there's some obligation to consume all the media about it. And if you're reading this to see Erin suffer, why post a comment about it when you know that the people reading this are reading it because they like Erin's character? There's a difference between watching an episode of a show and not liking it, and watching the entire season of a show you didn't like from the start and continue to complain about it, and then watch the spin-off series that stars your least favorite character, and then complain some more.

Skatologist

Choke On Your Nazi Cookies
Jan 25, 2014
Woo, 5 years guys for content on this site (5 year anniversary of CM). How does it feel?
TallanKhan said:
I like EDA but I rather feel that Critical Miss is suffering since Grey and Cory started this. I mean, we haven't had a new CM since the 7th, and EDA was meant to be their side project wasn't it?

Although that "Your earnest sexism is endearing, private Raccoon" line might be one of the best lines to ever come out of a Webcomic.
Grey said on twitter he's found it difficult to write for CM and feels a bit less motivated to do so, while EDA is becoming easier. This might be a bit troubling

[tweet t=https://twitter.com/GreyTheTick/status/598903729966845952]

JagerBombastic

Mar 3, 2014
This is a true hidden gem I love reading this series so much.

My favourite part was the line about how Erin try,s to avoid thinking. Great stuff!

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Win32error said:

That being said, I find Erin annoying, just in the sympathetic way.
Ignore him, and maybe he'll go away...

talker

Nov 18, 2011
Rad's face in this comic is like he just made the Virmire choice in Mass Effect.