1/7000000000000 or 50/50

Lukeje

Feb 6, 2008
The probability is effectively zero. I don't really understand the logic that would lead to a probability of 0.5 in this instance.

Also
UNKNOWNINCOGNITO said:
1/7000000000000 or 50/50
You mean 1/(7 x 10[sup]9[/sup]), right?

Xanadu84

Apr 9, 2008
It is not either him or not him. It is either him or Frank or Steve or Muhummad or Bill or...you get the point. No one is favored. If no one is favored, how would your friend be killed half the time?

Lesd3vil

Oct 11, 2010
The actual probability is one in seven billion. However, if you take into account the first law of Sod, the probability drastically increases to something like 99.8% that it would be your best friend >>

Xanadu84

Apr 9, 2008
HerbertTheHamster said:
UNKNOWNINCOGNITO said:
2 friends of mine instead say that the chances are 1 to 7 billion (assuming there are still 7 billion people on earth
should be 1 to 6999999999999. None of you are right.
I think we can safely assume that this is an estimation and you are not properally taking significant figures into account, since I am quite sure that even if it was 1 short of a full 1 to 7 billion, by the time you finished writing your response, that 1 more person was born.

darkfire613

Jun 26, 2009
It's not that it's either him or not him, it's that it's either him, or that guy, or that guy, or that guy, or that guy, etc. If you're rolling a 6-sided die, the odds of any one side is 1/6. Six sides, one side can come up. The odds of rolling a 4 aren't 50/50, because there are five other ways it could end up. Now picture that every person on the planet was assigned a number, and a die with that number of sides was rolled, selecting one person at random. The odds of it being any single person are 1/X, where X is the population of the world.

twistedmic

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 8, 2009
Statistically you'd have a one in seven billion chance at killing your friend. Karmically, you'd have a one in two chance of killing your friend and a one in two chance of killing a family member.

Vhite

Aug 17, 2009
I agree. If you did it 1000 times and your best friend would be still alive then the truth would be noticable howover when you do it just once you have no idea what might happen because there always is chance that it would be him so it would be 50/50.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
OldKingClancy said:
50/50. You either kill him, or you don't.
That's not how it works.

Say there are 7 billion people on the planet exactly, and the button will kill one person completely at random, the friend's chance of dying is 1 in 7 billion; the same as everyone else's chance. If it was between his friend and one other person, then it would be 50/50.

Maybe you and the OP are confusing an equal chance with 50/50. Its still equal if everyone on the planet has a 1 in 7 billion chance of dying.

Kudos on the Kate Upton pic though.

Vhite said:
I agree. If you did it 1000 times and your best friend would be still alive then the truth would be noticable howover when you do it just once you have no idea what might happen because there always is chance that it would be him so it would be 50/50.
You seem to be doing the same; it has to be the same number of people on either side for it to be 50/50.

The 50/50 refers to the actual numbers, not the "he's dead or he's not" aspect. Its not "him or not", its "him or one of the other 6,999,999,999 other people".

Mafoobula

Sep 30, 2009
1 for every single person you care about to the total world population, reduce as possible.
For the sake of the argument, let's say the people you really, really don't want to die total, and I'm just picking an easy number here, 50. Let's guesstimate about 7 billion people besides you with beating hearts on this planet. 50/7,000,000,000. Reduce, we get 1/140,000,000.
Those are the odds that pressing the button will kill a loved one. However, if we word it just a little bit differently, things get confusing. Instead of "what are the odds the random person will be a loved one?" we say "this button will either kill a loved one, or it won't." The difference is the complete disregard for probability.

Personally, I like them odds.

PureChaos

Aug 16, 2008
I can see the logic behind the 50/50 but it would be 1/7bil as everyone has the same chance of being the one killed and as there are 7 billion people, each one has a 1/7bil chance

ManInRed

May 16, 2010
Imagine you had a bag with a red ball, a yellow ball, a green ball, and a blue ball. You get to pull one ball out at random.

Do you really think the odds that it will be a red ball are 50/50, because it is either a red ball or not? Of course not, your choosing one of 4 options, not one of 2. So the odds are 1/4.

Similar picking a random person in the world would be 1/population of the world. Of course, the guy who gave you the switch could be giving you loaded dice, in which case its surely gonna be your friend.

Aardvark Soup

Jul 22, 2008
The chance is number of people you know / number of people on earth. Unless you know half of the world's population the 50/50 thing makes no mathematical sense whatsoever.

EDIT: Oh, I misread you post. Assuming you have one best friend, the chance is 1 / number of people on earth.

Indeterminacy

Feb 13, 2011
UNKNOWNINCOGNITO said:
If I were to push a button and the result of doing so shall randomly kill a person in the world what are the chances of it being my best friend ?
Here's how you solve this problem.

Enumerate the state space.

Count the number of states in which the outcome you're querying happens, versus the total number of states.

Take the ratio of the success to total state counts.

The result is the probability.

The natural reading of the problem you've phrased suggests a state space that assigns one state to each person dying.

So the chance of it being your best friend is exactly 1/(|world population|).

However! There is also the possibility that you might want more dense state space. In this version, potentially more than one person can die. If you assign equal probability values to the cases where, for example, "Person A dies alone", "Person A and Person B are the only ones to die", "Person A and Person C are the only ones to die", "Person A, B and C are the only ones to die" and so on, and do not distinguish between the states where "Person A and Person B are the only ones to die" and "Person B and Person A are the only ones to die", then you will find that the probability of any given person dying is independent of the probability of anyone else dying, and your intuition would be correct.

In conclusion, it all depends on your enumeration of the state space in interpreting a "random distribution".

retyopy

Aug 6, 2011
UNKNOWNINCOGNITO said:
Okay I've been trying to wrap my head around this and cannot make exact logical sense in it. If I were to push a button and the result of doing so shall randomly kill a person in the world what are the chances of it being my best friend ?

My argument is that it would 50/50 of it being my friend since the process is random and no one is favoured in anyway so it is either it is him or it is not him.

2 friends of mine instead say that the chances are 1 to 7 billion (assuming there are still 7 billion people on earth) that someone I know shall get axed from the random process.

I ask you escapist which one is it and why ?
Did I spawn this thread?

1/7 billion. Every person has a chance of being killed. There are 7 billion people. My logic is probably flawed in some way.

cahtush

Jul 7, 2010
So you say that the chance of randomly picking one out of 7*10^9 =50%?
I have only one thing to say. Syntax Error.

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
Man, I remember when Corner Gas did a gag on this.

Anyway, it's 1/7,000,000,000, as the number of possibilities doesn't equate to the probability that one of them is chosen.

Vuavu

Apr 5, 2010
It couldn't be 50/50 because there's more of a chance that it won't kill him. It's a good question at first but then it's obvious. What you're talking about isn't chance

Indeterminacy

Feb 13, 2011
UNKNOWNINCOGNITO said:
I ask you escapist which one is it and why ?
Sorry to quote again, but here's an easy test of whether your intuition works in this case.

Does the problem accept that there is a very small chance that everyone on the planet might die as a result of the one button press?