$1 Pre-Order Afterfall for Charity!

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
Honestly, I don't think they gave themselves enough time to make the 10 mill. Just my opinion, though.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
There's already 3 or 4 threads about this.

May 28, 2009
Is there a reason all of your posts so far are to do with the promotion of this one game?

LoganN64 said:
(bad voice over/story and Polish humour!)
So bad Polish humour or the type that means Poland loves The Neverhood? Because loving Neverhood is never a bad thing.

cookyy2k

Aug 14, 2009
They're only on 16k so quite a few sales to go in just over a month. I don't think they'll make it. 10 million copies is hard for a lot of games to shift especially for a new IP.

Let's take Halo:CE as an example. A very popular new IP by anyone's standards.

Came out in Nov 2001, by Nov 2005 it had sold just over 5 million copies. I doubt this game will outstrip halo:CE's sales as a new IP.

Now lets look at halo 2, a sequel to a very popular game, it sold 6.3 million copies in the United States alone. Again this does not hit your 10 million mark and that was a sequel to a proven IP.

So you say but this is on pc? well let's look at popular PC title.

Starcraft, sold 11 million
half life sold 9.3 million
half life 2 sold 6.5 million, including steam

I doubt it's happening.

MisterDyslexo

Feb 11, 2011
Kopikatsu said:
Honestly, I don't think they gave themselves enough time to make the 10 mill. Just my opinion, though.
Call me a cynic, but I don't think they honestly expected it to be possible.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
cookyy2k said:
They're only on 16k so quite a few sales to go in just over a month. I don't think they'll make it. 10 million copies is hard for a lot of games to shift especially for a new IP.

Came out in Nov 2001, by Nov 2005 it had sold just over 5 million copies. I doubt this game will outstrip halo:CE's sales as a new IP.

Now lets look at halo 2, a sequel to a very popular game, it sold 6.3 million copies in the United States alone. Again this does not hit your 10 million mark and that was a sequel to a proven IP.

I doubt it's happening.
Those were almost all individual sales, though. This is only $1 per 'preorder', so it's not like they have to get 10 million people to make this possible.

Don't get me wrong, I'm skeptical about the whole thing, but it's not impossible.

cookyy2k

Aug 14, 2009
Kopikatsu said:
cookyy2k said:

I doubt it's happening.

Those were almost all individual sales, though. This is only $1 per 'preorder', so it's not like they have to get 10 million people to make this possible.

Don't get me wrong, I'm skeptical about the whole thing, but it's not impossible.
$1 per pre-order, and wanting 10 million pre-orders surely implies 10 million sales or am I missing the whole point of a pre-order?

VincentR

Apr 17, 2011
You can pay more than $1 I believe. Also, from what I've heard, and I have NO evidence for this - so take it as you will - they will automatically charge you the $33 if they don't hit 10 million pre-orders. Which does make this pretty much a scam, in a way. Because they know, and we know, that they are NOT going to get $10,000,000 in pre-orders. As plenty of people have pointed out, few of even the best-selling games have hit 10,000,000 sales.

Edit: I can't find any evidence that says something to this effect. So I doubt it's true.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
cookyy2k said:
Kopikatsu said:
cookyy2k said:

I doubt it's happening.

$1 per pre-order, and wanting 10 million pre-orders surely implies 10 million sales or am I missing the whole point of a pre-order?
10 million sales, but that was my point. It's just a dollar. It's not unreasonable to think that people would pre-order multiple copies for a variety of different reasons. Like the OP himself pre-ordered twice. It would drastically reduce the number of people required to get the 10 million sales.

StarCecil

Feb 28, 2010
Yeah... well when they get to nine hundred and ninety nine million I'll preorder. I don't have the money nor the inclination to buy the game for anything more than that.

Although I might just get it because of the sheer display of balls it takes to do this.

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
I am reluctant to try this because 1st my PC can't run it so it would only be out of generosity, 2nd I'm broke and although 1 dollar isn't much how much will I have to pay if they don't get to the unrealistic goal of 10,000,000 sales?

Sep 14, 2009
Kopikatsu said:
cookyy2k said:
Kopikatsu said:
cookyy2k said:

I doubt it's happening.

10 million sales, but that was my point. It's just a dollar. It's not unreasonable to think that people would pre-order multiple copies for a variety of different reasons. Like the OP himself pre-ordered twice. It would drastically reduce the number of people required to get the 10 million sales.
while it would drastically reduce, it would still take a piss ton of people

i posted in the other thread, i put down 5 bucks, and say ON A GOOD AVERAGE people did 3-4 bucks, that means they would need roughly 2-3 million people to pre order still...in less than a monthish..

very very unlikely to happen, but hey, i put my money down just in case..

dududf

Aug 31, 2009
If you get 10m sales, of the preorder of $1, then we get the game for that, and you pocket 9m.

If it does not reach 10m sales, not only do you not get the game, all you get is a dollar off the 33$ cost of the game.

What the hell is this? That's not even really charitable, 9m revenue for a indy game isn't bad at all, in fact I'd say that's pretty damn good. You already planned for this game to be the begining of the series. The "We'll donate all of the dollars we received in our attempt to get 10 fucking million sales" isn't much either. 33$ is a peculiar price to sell the game at, for all I know it was actually 30$ and then you just increased the price to accomodate the -1$ charity donation.

Seriously, you have no track record with me, and you're already pulling this scam bullshit. For all I know that $1 could be to steal my credit information.

No thanks.

Also I noted that you waited exactly a month from your join date to post this. Perhaps in an attempt to get past any spam filters?

dududf

Aug 31, 2009
VincentR said:
You can pay more than $1 I believe. Also, from what I've heard, and I have NO evidence for this - so take it as you will - they will automatically charge you the $33 if they don't hit 10 million pre-orders. Which does make this pretty much a scam, in a way. Because they know, and we know, that they are NOT going to get $10,000,000 in pre-orders. As plenty of people have pointed out, few of even the best-selling games have hit 10,000,000 sales.

Edit: I can't find any evidence that says something to this effect. So I doubt it's true.
What they stated was that you get a dollar discount off the game if they do not reach 10m sales.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
Kopikatsu said:
cookyy2k said:
Kopikatsu said:
cookyy2k said:

I doubt it's happening.

My biggest worry with this idea is whether or not they are going to hold people to the preorders. I mean is it a case of hey I'm going to just give a dollar for the sheer gusto these guys have, if it doesn't work out, I'm out of a dollar and I don't have to buy the game for $34. Or is it a case of they are going to hold you to each pre-order, so the person who preordered like 5 is going to be charged $170. This is the one thing that is bothering me in the back of my mind. Sure if say like 2 million people dropped $5 on this you would get to the 10 million mark easier. But without clarification it could be somewhat dangerous to drop more than a single preorder if there is a chance you will be held to actually pay up for the full game.

godofallu

Jun 8, 2010
cookyy2k said:

I doubt it's happening.
The entire point is that it won't happen. If it did it wouldn't be charity.

DigitalSushi

a gallardo? fine, I'll take it.
Dec 24, 2008
Dirty Hipsters said:
There's already 3 or 4 threads about this.
I'm going to treat these threads as spam if I see another one to be honest.

Its a fantastic thing, giving to charity but I get the feeling the makers are telling people to spam the fuck out of it on forums, which irritates people.

Not to fucking mention they don't say what charity they are going to give the money too, which means someone in marketing hasn't actually thought the whole process through.

I get the feeling the makers of afterfall saw the Humble Indie Game Bundle's success and thought "you know what guys?, lets do that"

LoganN64

Sep 13, 2010
Sorry about that, i wont post anymore stuff about Afterfall anymore. ill keep quite now. i was just hoping to help those guys out.

cookyy2k

Aug 14, 2009
I don't get why, instead of pre-ordering some game for $1 whilst reaching for a very distant and unlikely goal we don't all just stick the money into a pot that goes directly to child's play or something. Direct giving to a known charity of our choice...