10/10 - Expression of perfection or indictment of the competition?

stompy

Jan 21, 2008
How 'bout people start researching their games. Like, more than just watching the review, but maybe some gameplay videos and stuff... As for 10/10, I reckon that it isn't supposed to denote a perfect game, but something that's excellent. My opinion, of course.

Copter400

Sep 14, 2007
Scores are ridiculous in practice. You're trying to sum up what should be a complicated response to a piece of media by using a fraction. It ain't smart.

mrverbal

May 23, 2008
Scores have their place - they aren't the be all and end all but can be a valid use of the reviewers time and can improve the 'review experience' for some people. Equally, however, a general feel of a game IE something between 'Buy this or you suck' to 'cut you balls off and eat them with crap sauce, it would be less painful' - to give the customer a bit of a view of what the game is like.

The problem is that game magazines are using a flawed system. Everyone knows that if a game scores less than about 70% it is probably less fun than cigarette burns, which means that inevitably reviewers are giving vastly more 90%+ scores than can possibly be rational. (Movie reviewers tend to be the same, albeit less extreme; but think about your favorite movie reviewers scores out of 5; a bet their average is a lot higher than 2.5)

The whole system is just massively red-shifted. Games are going to score 10/10 because they are simply better than game X which score 9.5/10, and the scale has no more granularity than that.

rayman 101

Jun 7, 2008
I like ign, but lately I've been suprised by all the perfect 10 scores they've been giving to games. I know they are fans and do have a history of over rating games, but saying it deserves 10 when they have pointed out some flaws in the game really doesn't make sense to me.

Katana314

Oct 4, 2007
To me, a 9 and a 10 mean the same thing. It should be like movies; there's a lite numerical value, something from 1-5, saying whether to buy it or not. As for to-the-last-detail comparison, and whether one is an art form and another is a late night fun-thing, leave that to the GOTY awards.