10.7 Billion Year-Old Spiral Galaxy Stuns Astronomers

Clearing the Eye

Jun 6, 2012
Helmholtz Watson said:
You don't have to like religion, but please don't try to consciously destroy the primary form of identity for my ethnic group.
I will try and so will the majority of humanity, and we will succeed. It's taken a long time, but we're closer than ever as a species to being rid of superstition and fairytale. From near universal belief stretching back thousands upon thousands of years, we've ended up here, where some of the best countries on Earth to live in (as judged by quality of life index) have a largely sane population (read: more and more people disregarding Christianity and Judaism)--places like Sweeden, Denmark and Australia. The future is bright for the intelligent. It'll just take willpower and logic.

Ledan

Apr 15, 2009
The_Darkness said:
Genuine Evil said:
I always found it sad that the pictures we get from Hubble are actually black and white and that all the beautiful colors we see are just Astronomers messing around in Photoshop
Well yes, and then again, no. It's more likely that the pictures are 'False Colour' pictures, in which (for example) blue represents x-rays, green is gamma rays and red is infrared. I mean, yes, sometimes Scientists go and and colour stuff in for no other reason than to get interest from the public, but sometimes we are actually being productive :)
Lol, I can just see it in my head:
Monday: Collecting data
Tuesday: Analyzing data
Wednesday: Experiment
Thursday: Color in stuff
"Thursdays are my favorite!"

Ledan

Apr 15, 2009
Nyaliva said:
Mathematics: Proving itself right once and never having to return to the matter again.
Divide by zero? 0.999999999999999999999999.... =1?
Calculus(the closer you get to infinity bit)
There are some wonky bits in our maths system (in the really high stuff. Like proving 1+1=2)

Pinkamena

Stuck in a vortex of sexy horses
Jun 27, 2011
Ledan said:
Pinkamena said:
Mathematics: Proving itself right once and never having to return to the matter again.
There are some wonky bits in our maths system (in the really high stuff. Like proving 1+1=2)
What in the world are you even talking about? What I said is just that, as it stands now, FTL is not possible, and that notion is backed by countless experiments. Not because "Oh hey, we haven't been able to get something to move faster than light, then it must be impossible!", but rather that pretty much all of our modern theories concludes that light speed is impossible for objects with mass. Don't get me wrong, I'd be thrilled if we suddenly found out that it is possible, but we'd pretty much have to throw out all our physics that's been developed after 1910-ish and begin from scratch.

And putting words in my mouth isn't nice you know.

Ledan

Apr 15, 2009
Nyaliva said:
Basically, I never saw any reason why religion was such a hot topic on the internet (well actually I do, it?s because people want to look better than each other for the littlest things, including opinion, but that?s not what I mean).

It doesn?t hurt anyone that I believe in something so why can?t I just believe in it in peace?
Go ahead and believe in whatever you want. You have a full right to. It's just that there are a lot of people who also believe in a similar thing to you, calling themselves by the same thing as you, who push this belief on us. Not just that, they think they must make us adhere to the same rules they do to follow their belief. These are the assholes in the religious community, and assholes exist everywhere (we need a new word for that, cause its a thing. The specific bad people of any group) so it's directly related to their beliefs.
We want to stop them from doing those things. That's the reason we fight them on the web. Also, if you apply enough logic to religion: it sorta falls apart. That's different from the rest of it, but logic and science kind of disprove God unless you are willing to ignore them or come up with a satisfactory explanation (for yourself).
Otherwise, peace be with you.

Pinkamena

Jun 27, 2011
Rastelin said:
arc1991 said:
Sorry to be a party-pooper, but I honestly doubt FTL will ever exist. We might be able to bend space-time to our will, making a shortcut, but actually moving faster than the speed of light will likely never happen.
Hmm yes. To travel faster than the speed of light means you have to be mass less. That obviously presents a lot of problems.
Make a deal with the Higgs Boson, he can help you out :p

Ledan

Apr 15, 2009
Vigormortis said:
Pinkamena said:
arc1991 said:
Yup, there are many who believe we will never be able to travel at lightspeed...

Give it 10 years ;D
Sorry to be a party-pooper, but I honestly doubt FTL will ever exist. We might be able to bend space-time to our will, making a shortcut, but actually moving faster than the speed of light will likely never happen. So much of our modern physics build upon the notion that the speed of light is the absolute speed barrier, and it has been "proven" in thousands of experiments.
True, but what is actually stated is that nothing can accelerate to the speed of light, as the energy required to accelerate the object quickly spirals to infinite. There's nothing in our understanding of quantum mechanics that states that something that's already moving at light-speed can't accelerate to...well...any speed.

This was something actually addressed by Einstein himself.

As such, if we can find a way to get something going at C without accelerating to the speed, we could, in theory, whiz around the universe at near infinite speeds.

Not that that's something easily attainable. Plus, you know, you've got the pesky problem of "how the hell do I get an object to move at speed without accelerating to said speed?" :/

Rastelin said:
Hmm yes. To travel faster than the speed of light means you have to be mass less. That obviously presents a lot of problems.
Not necessarily. See above.
I got it! We turn the object into light. Then accelerate it.
Problem?

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Ledan said:
I got it! We turn the object into light. Then accelerate it.
Problem?
Um...er...well...

Nope! I see no problem here. Makes sense to me! Let's get on that.

zarguhl

Oct 4, 2010
I'd happily bet both my testicles that the universe is vastly more than ~13 billion years old. Trillions, or quadrillions of years more likely.

I think in a hundred years time we'll look back on physicists from today like we do at "Young Earth Creationists" now.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Space is so damn cool, I should really get into astronomy. I wonder if there is local club I can join here...

Ledan

Apr 15, 2009
Pinkamena said:
Ledan said:
Pinkamena said:
What in the world are you even talking about? What I said is just that, as it stands now, FTL is not possible, and that notion is backed by countless experiments. Not because "Oh hey, we haven't been able to get something to move faster than light, then it must be impossible!", but rather that pretty much all of our modern theories concludes that light speed is impossible for objects with mass. Don't get me wrong, I'd be thrilled if we suddenly found out that it is possible, but we'd pretty much have to throw out all our physics that's been developed after 1910-ish and begin from scratch.

And putting words in my mouth isn't nice you know.
What- I- no-? Calm down!
Oh.... Escapist misquoted my qoute, or I did that myself somehow. Ignore that will you?
Now I'm just interested how you got what i wrote as some sort of criticism of physics. Or of what you said.

BiscuitTrouser

Elite Member
May 19, 2008
Brad Shepard said:
Science: Getting proven wrong every week.
The irony is that science is only proved wrong by more accurate, more valid better science. Id say it was "corrected" rather than proved wrong. I think no one has the right to attack "science" except the amish. Unless your amish, or go on an outburst in which you destroy EVERYTHING based on technology in your home, its pretty obvious you trust and depend on science every day. Everyone who isnt amish is sciences *****. And they should remember it.

Pinkamena

Jun 27, 2011
Ledan said:
What- I- no-? Calm down!
Oh.... Escapist misquoted my qoute, or I did that myself somehow. Ignore that will you?
Now I'm just interested how you got what i wrote as some sort of criticism of physics. Or of what you said.
Sorry, it's just a big misunderstanding then. It was how you referred to two of the mathematical conundrums that the general public know about (which are often used when people want to seems smart without actually knowing much about math), and how you changed what I had written. I took it as sarcasm, and thought you were trying to tell me that math can't be used to prove for instance, that FTL is impossible. Nevermind it all :)

Basilesim2012

Jul 22, 2012
Ah, relief....glad the creationist aren't controling everything and science is still being done and persued, lol. This is what i like about science its not absolute, unlike religions.

To Brad Shepard:
Science: Getting proven wrong every week.

You bet it is, thats called discovery.And we're not affraid to say so. Science is not absolute and is always searching for explanations. Its the essence of science. Unlike religion who claim everything has been done and their's no more mysteries to be solved.
I've visited the creationist science museum in Petersburg, KY Located seven miles west of the Cincinnati Airport; what a joke!!!! LOL Dinosaures with humans( dressed with cotton shirts no less) Its the flinstones lol. 10 000 years they say. I'm so glad none of you will teach my kids science, since you don't beleive in it. Oh by the way gravity is not mentioned in the bible, but does it really exist??? How do planes fly then???

Helmholtz Watson

Nov 7, 2011
Clearing the Eye said:
Helmholtz Watson said:
You don't have to like religion, but please don't try to consciously destroy the primary form of identity for my ethnic group.
I will try and so will the majority of humanity, and we will succeed. It's taken a long time, but we're closer than ever as a species to being rid of superstition and fairytale. From near universal belief stretching back thousands upon thousands of years, we've ended up here, where some of the best countries on Earth to live in (as judged by quality of life index) have a largely sane population (read: more and more people disregarding Christianity and Judaism)--places like Sweeden, Denmark and Australia. The future is bright for the intelligent. It'll just take willpower and logic.
Then I can only hope that it fails because I have no desire to see my ethnic groups beliefs destroyed because some former Christians want to make everybody else one of them. But I have to lol, that you think the majority of people are becoming atheist.