10 Hardest FROM Bosses of All Time

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Strictly speaking, multiple bosses from Sekiro are harder than Fume Knight (Genichiro, Owl, Corrupted Monk Part 2, Sword Saint Isshin), but they are all difficult for the same two reasons: you have to keep up with the fast pace of the parry-and-attack rhythm game, and you have to contend with multiple phases, many of which have very different movesets. I haven't bothered to beat Sword Saint Isshin for this very reason: he's likely the hardest FromSoft boss, but anything can be the hardest boss when you take these two aspects to a farcical extreme with extremely fast attacks across four phases. At least the Fume Knight's attacks don't change very much in his second phase, and you have a few seconds to assess them before he two-hit kills you.
Honestly, I had a much easier time with the boss fights in Sekiro than I did with the mini-bosses.

It's actually funny. I'd say the lone shadows in that game killed me more times than all of the bosses combined.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I did't have much trouble with the sword saint in Sekiro, but fuck the demon of hatred, also fuck that damn monkey too. The game teaches you this specific way to play it with parrying and such and you have to unlearn all that and run around like a crazy person. He was pretty easy my second time but took me forever the first time.

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
Most of these Dark Souls bosses are cupcakes compared to the bullshit in the modern Ninja Gaiden games. Play those games, and then talk to me about pain and suffering. Sometimes the bosses are easy, and the mooks that are tougher than fucking bosses.
To be fair they were first designed to be Arcade Games, the original Loot Box games, with $.25 a life. They were hard in the same way digital poker is hard - keep spending money.
Even if modern ones have moved away from the quarter model, its the same gameplay/design. Arcade shit, just without the arcade

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Even if modern ones have moved away from the quarter model, its the same gameplay/design. Arcade shit, just without the arcade
Yet the Devil May Cry games have the same arcade philosopies without (most) of the cheapness. The same applies to Viewtiful Joe and most titles by Platinum. The enemies and bosses are 1000 times more fair than those found in Ninja Gaiden. Especially when it's case where you clearly hit the boss, yet he or she takes no damage, despite there being clear contact with steel on flesh. It took Ninja Gaiden 3 to finally fix this, but that game came with its own set issues. The problem with the modern NG games, more so the 2nd game, was that they were all rushed out the door without fool proper play testing. That's why I find it harder to play or bother with Ninja Gaiden.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Honestly, I had a much easier time with the boss fights in Sekiro than I did with the mini-bosses.

It's actually funny. I'd say the lone shadows in that game killed me more times than all of the bosses combined.
Those Lone Shadows are a pain. There was one respawning one near the beginning of Mibu VIllage who would routinely fuck my shit up. There are guides that recommend backstabbing him for easy EXP(before you reach the Fountainhead Palace, which has a much nicer grinding spot) but I could never get the hang of sneaking up on him correctly.

At least the one that shows up in the Dojo is much easier to sneak up on, and even helps in the fight with the mini-boss one if you know what you're doing.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Yet the Devil May Cry games have the same arcade philosopies without (most) of the cheapness. The same applies to Viewtiful Joe and most titles by Platinum. The enemies and bosses are 1000 times more fair than those found in Ninja Gaiden. Especially when it's case where you clearly hit the boss, yet he or she takes no damage, despite there being clear contact with steel on flesh. It took Ninja Gaiden 3 to finally fix this, but that game came with its own set issues. The problem with the modern NG games, more so the 2nd game, was that they were all rushed out the door without fool proper play testing. That's why I find it harder to play or bother with Ninja Gaiden.
Is that also the case with even NG Black, which is largely considered the crown jewel of the series? Other than the 8 bit stuff I’ve only played maybe half of that and Sigma, along with a demo of NG3 IIRC.

Even on Normal they can be sadistic lol.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Is that also the case with even NG Black, which is largely considered the crown jewel of the series?
Yes. The part where you clearly hit the boss, yet they take no damages. That is og Xbox Ninja Gaiden (along with Black & Sigma updates). 2 does not have this as much, but it has other problems.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Yes. The part where you clearly hit the boss, yet they take no damages. That is og Xbox Ninja Gaiden (along with Black & Sigma updates). 2 does not have this as much, but it has other problems.
So Brawlman, where would you rank the best NG on your list of best brawlers, or more specifically hack n slash action?

Also to keep the thread on rails, what FROM boss would you consider toughest?

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
So Brawlman, where would you rank the best NG on your list of best brawlers, or more specifically hack n slash action?

Also to keep the thread on rails, what FROM boss would you consider toughest?
Honestly, Ninja Gaiden isn't even in my top ten. if I had to guess probably at number 13 or 14, but that is mainly the updated version of the first game.

As for toughest boss from a souls game, I honestly have no idea. That one giant skeletal looking creature with fur from blood-borne I guess. I am really not a fan of soul style games. They're gameplay loop never clicked with me. I do respect them for it though.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker