10 Marvel Characters Who Should Show Up On Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

TiberiusEsuriens

Jun 24, 2010
The problem I'm having with Agents is that they are creating a decent amount of superheroes/villains in the show (5 at this point?) but they AREN'T DOING ANYTHING WITH THEM. By episode 5 we have already been given what are apparently 2 A-list comic book super-villains, but then they get stuck in a SHIELD box and are never heard from again. Whedon shows do typically have this overly long drawn out start, but this season is just ridiculous.

We're watching a comic book show, but instead of super-villains brooding over plans and monologuing to our heroes with over-dramatic goofiness, we get four people stuck on a plane that all have daddy issues. They don't need to make new bad guys, they just need to actually use the ones that exist.

PuckFuppet

Entroducing.
Jan 10, 2009
TiberiusEsuriens said:
we get four people stuck on a plane that all have daddy issues
Not to be a stickler but at the very least Ward has mommy issues instead of daddy issues.

geldonyetich

Aug 2, 2006
I don't exactly keep up with this show but, from what I gather, any superheroes or supervillains at all would be a nice start.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Haaaaaa, no.

How do I put this. Warning: lengthy scrawl ahead.

So, there's this whole, dark/gritty/"realistic" thing that's shown up in recent DC-Universe superhero movies. Bob has done his best to heap fairly indiscriminate hatred on said franchises, often in spite of having mixed-to-positive feelings about the movies presented at the time of first watching.

Tired though I am of that, I don't want to harp; I don't agree, but that's his right, and I think I have a measure of understanding of where it comes from. Dark/gritty/"realistic" pushes his buttons and clashes with what I suspect are somewhat nostalgia-tinged memories of more fun, light, upbeat superheroes of his past. I don't even mean to suggest that there shouldn't be a more varied palette of tone in the tv/video/film versions of the DC Universe; "Arrow" gives me a big old headache, and I remember the TV version of "Flash" that so badly wanted to be Batman; it was kind of embarrassing.

Further, I suspect how MB feels about d/g/"r"'s rulership of certain parts of the modern superhero mindspace is not unlike how I feel about, say, "Transformers" movies, or Adam Sandler movies: they're horrible, but their financial success inevitably means there will be more of them. Even though we're capable of so much better.

So, yeah, I think I get that.

But.

I'm not entirely sure MB has grasped that the way Marvel is oh-so-carefully handling its movie/tv franchises, while not intrinsically d/g/"r" itself, is most definitely a parallel response to a similar problem that d/g/"r" is trying to address.

Namely: a story about superheroes is not inherently a story that's relatable to the people watching it.

DC's answer to this has been mostly in the worlds it has presented. We may quietly laugh at the unlikelihood of a millionaire taking to the streets with his high-tech armor and his martial arts training to combat crime (and no one quite figuring out how his two personas intersect), but it presents a world with enough parallels to our own that most of us suspend disbelief. Batman's story is human-scale, in a lot of ways; the people seem mortal and breakable, the villains not all that far off of the news stories that horrify us in the daily paper. The recent "Man of Steel" tried something similar in suggesting that god-like powers didn't always convey the ability to prevent human-scale tragedy and loss.

Marvel has taken a different route, where the crises and situations are more super-heroic but the characters and their relationships are more flawed and relatable. Tony Stark is arrogant and self-destructive. Bruce Banner lives in fear of the powers that have made him a hermit and a fugitive. Thor has a dysfunctional family and obligations that he doesn't know if he can live up to. Steve Rogers is an optimist in a cynical world, one where his abilities give him the ability to answer that cynicism- but only to a degree.

More, in the Avengers world, those pieces have been slotted together with incredible care, creating a Jenga-like tower where the impossible, the unlikely, and the human still manage to mesh. Tony is still vulnerable outside of his suit. Thor's mortal allies are suddenly dealing with the attentions of god-like adversaries. The Hulk can't be certain of self-control. The Captain symbolizes the ideals of a country that may fall short of those ideals. New pieces are slotted in, and old ones are slotted out, always with care: today's adversary is the dark elves, the next day's the American military.

What you don't tend to see? Asgardian vampires injected with super-soldier vaccine using Skrull technology led by alternative-earth evil versions of the heroes... Because that's where the business tends to go bugf@#%.

And this is the problem with letting slavish love of comics, particularly older comics, be the guiding light of new media ventures. After fifty, sixty, seventy years of backstory and lore, most of these inter-connected worlds have, indeed, gone bugf@#%. So much so that characters have been resurrected multiple times, rebooted multiple times, re-costumed, re-imagined, given "what ifs" and gaiden stories, different nationalities, races, sexes, sexual orientations, desperately trying to keep enough plates spinning that the shards on the floor don't capture too much attention. The comics aren't the place this has all worked perfectly well in the past; the comics are the place where we've seen how badly everything can go haywire when a hundred different writers with different priorities work on very vaguely the same work for several decades.

Where anything can happen, we stop relating, stop caring. Marvel's recent efforts have paid off in part because they are relatable and understandable to someone who doesn't know the significance of side-character X from issue #36; that scholars of "the lore" might get a moment of glee was a bonus, but not the whole point of the endeavor. There's a difference between creating a deep and interconnected world where everything miraculously seems to fit together and jamming anything and everything from the attic into the box and shaking it, hoping it all eventually falls into place.

So... Fourth-wall sniping "She Hulk"? Out-of-left-field Superman-level power "Sentry"? Blade? "Let's just stick vampires in a show that doesn't acknowledge the existence of precognitives, just because it would be 'fun'...?"

I confess I don't have absolute confidence, even with as much care as they've been taking, that Marvel will keep this delicate balancing act going forever. Offerings like "Ant Man" and "Guardians of the Galaxy" have me slightly concerned that we may be about to see the Jenga game at its tipping point, though I truly hope I'm mistaken.

I'll further admit that Agents of Shield is of increasingly waning interest to me, not because of a lack of Marvel-dom, but because most of the characters behave more like children pretending to be secret agents than actual adults.

But I am reasonably confident that sticking a wish-list of colorful superheroes into the works with no regard for how or whether they might actually fit into a new and perilous media continuity not only is not the answer for re-invigorating AoS, but a good way to accelerate screwing up Marvel's new success six ways from Sunday.

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
I think Marvel's Ultimate universes spider-woman is more interesting but I'd be happy to see either of them.

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
VonBrewskie said:
Dang Bob. Wish you did the writing for that show. What the hell. You should turn in a draft to them or something. Not sure how that would work hahaha but I mean damn. Those are some good ideas man.
Yeah...and those few lines are actually better ideas than 95% of whats actually been in the show. Who the fuck is doing the writing on that show? And who exactly is their target audience?

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
Catface Meowmers said:
ZZoMBiE13 said:
But I can't agree about Punisher: War Zone. That movie was so wacky. I don't mind a bit of wacky, especially in a comic book film. But it just seemed so out of place in a Punisher story.
Darth Marsden said:
Nope, sorry. Gonna have to violently disagree (geddit) that Punisher: War Zone was anything other than an absolute betrayal of the character and a disgusting waste of everyone's time, effort and money.
You're entitled to your opinions, obviously, but you're a little off base in this case. A lot of the "wacky" stuff in P:WZ was taken directly from the comics, specifically the Ennis/War Journal runs IIRC. Those books get a little weird at points.

But it's definitely not "an absolute betrayal".
Good point. So I'll clarify:

Yes, Punisher did get a bit wacky in the comics. That's why I quit reading them. I thought it was out of place in the books as well.

That's not to say that it's bad, or wrong, or non-canon. Just counter to what I personally want from a Punisher story. I'll happily agree that the "dark age of comics" is better left to the past. I enjoy levity in movies like Avengers and Iron Man and the early Spider-man movies and I think they'd be far worse if they went the dark and brooding route.

I'll just always feel that Frank Castle was right at home in that era though. That's kind of his wheelhouse. At least for me. But hey, if you dig wacky Punisher then more power to you. I unironically enjoy Friday the 13th movies, so I am not one to point fingers. ;)

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Actually Hyperion is Marvel's "Superman" analogue, indeed "Squadron Supreme" is pretty much a homage to the Justice League with exaggerated problems. The whole Earth/Paradise/Universe X even referred to Hyperion as his universes "Superman" at one point. They also tried to reboot this whole universe as "Supreme Power" which made things even more obvious while departing from the original version.

Ironically "Gladiator" is another direct Superman analogy. It's widely believed this book:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gladiator_(novel)#Publication_history

Is what DC based Superman off of, so creating a character called "Gladiator" who himself has cosmic abilities, head vision, and most of Supe's tricks (albeit being an Alien soldier) was another zing on DC comics.

I suppose Sentry is arguably another one, but unlike a lot of people I never really got that impression despite all the statements especially once you know the trick/point of him.

I also "get" that a lot of people don't like John Walker/USAgent but part of the entire thing was that despite the original cap taking back the mantle, and his whole "redeemed her" arc he never really "sucked" and kind of represented a counterpoint to the original. Granted some of his best stuff came about as a result of series like "Force Works" which admittedly didn't last. I always got the impression that the problem with Walker was they kind of created a monster that kind of made some uncomfortable points they didn't want to face.

The ironic thing here is that he'd actually be a perfect fit with the cinematic universe of SHIELD and the realities of that universe, as opposed to the one he was created in, so I do tend to agree that done right he'd be a good fit for SHIELD especially given that they de-powered Nick Fury by using the "Ultimate" version. Having "Captain American but without the BS" is pretty much what Nick Fury was all about in the comics in his powered form. Albeit if you DID go this direction, like adding a lot of other super beings, you wind up rendering Ward and Mai more or less obsolete in the context of storylines, and I doubt the actors would appreciate being sidelined. Unless of course they decide to use the same basic idea as USAgent, but instead decide to make Ward the new one as opposed to introducing Walker. That could wind up covering a lot of the same territory without quite the same degree of political baggage that the original storyline covered (whether you love it or hate it).

I'm somewhat ambigious about a lot of the other suggestions for similar reasons, because inserting them in the cast causes the same problems, and even if they aren't turned into regular cast members their very existence would risk turning what the current team does fairly obsolete unless they were powered up a bit.

Someone like "Moon Knight" deserves his own TV series. Spider Woman is a decent choice for a supporting character in most cases, but really the choices they made in SHIELD make something that flashy hard to deal with unless they alter a lot of the central elements first, which applies to a lot of the other characters as well. Besides at this power level if you have someone like "She Hulk" you can pretty much say bye bye to any sense of jeopardy, fights that get her into trouble tend to be the sort of thing where multiple city blocks get wrecked in the process. A bunch of enemy agents with guns and spy gizmos becomes rather laughable unless they stretch credibility and have things work on her that really, really, shouldn't in order to take her out of every scene she should be a factor in, which ultimately raises the question why you even want to introduce a character like that to begin with?

Ashley Blalock

Sep 25, 2011
tzimize said:
VonBrewskie said:
Dang Bob. Wish you did the writing for that show. What the hell. You should turn in a draft to them or something. Not sure how that would work hahaha but I mean damn. Those are some good ideas man.
Yeah...and those few lines are actually better ideas than 95% of whats actually been in the show. Who the fuck is doing the writing on that show? And who exactly is their target audience?
Targets three types of people.

People who can not find their remote to the TV.

People who can't sleep so they need something to bore them to sleep.

People like me who want to see just how bad the train wreck can get before Disney or ABC has to step in.

Goliath100

Sep 29, 2009
The Punisher should probably be in one of the Netflix show. Blade on the other hand, I'm conflicted about:
He is kinda a street character (at least in the movies and TV show), but who doesn't want to see Joss Whedon do vampires again (and hopefully go all out with it). Know what? Put Blade in both AoS and a Netflix series.

Kumagawa Misogi said:
The last Blade film was a decade ago (wow does not seem that long ago) and they were all 'R' rated while the TV show was 8 years ago and aired on Spike TV.

There was a Blade anime in 2012.

Thunderous Cacophony said:
Did [Arrow] get better?.
It found itself in the last couple of episodes of the first season. And season 2 has been great. They used a season worth of content for the first 9 episodes, it's insane how fast they are moving with so many characters. Arrow is so good right now you should totally watch it.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Why bother with these heroes? They're all the same super awesome guy (strength, stamina, etc.) over and over with the occasional catsuit boobage. And you know if they adapt them in any way they're going to get rid of the stupid suits, so all that would be left would be another physicall fit person. And a gender bender of Hulk, just because. Drop She-Hulk, they would never be able to pull off the CGI on TV in the first place.

MatParker116

Feb 4, 2009
Strucker's actually showing up in the Avengers sequel and probably Cap 3 played by Thomas Kretschmann. Also no love for Mockingbird or Daisy Johnson?

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
Thunderous Cacophony said:
OT: The Taskmasker would probably work best in their universe with a Batman-style utility belt, carrying small weapons and tools [plus, you could write storylines around trying to prevent him from getting access to footage of the Avengers fighting, which would explain why he isn't armed to the teeth].
why would they need to do that? all he had to gain from that would be caps shields trowing powers(and those are useless without the shield), everybody else has abilities he either can get somewhere else or are superhuman in some way, meaning he couldn't copy them.

what's interesting about taskmaster is that all the new shit he learns overwrites his long term memory and because he didn't know that when he starting using his ability he forgot why he started. which kinda fits in nicely in the show.

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
Nonono, Bob... if you want to backdoor a Punisher tv series via AoS... you don't drop him in already broken and out for revenge on everything. Toss him in as a Iraq/Afghanistan vet who's now leading a SHIELD tactical team or whatever - a much more practical way to later involve super villaiins snuffing his family. Build him up for a few eps THEN break him. On screen... and not as a built up season finale, either. Just BLAT! Dead Castigliones... then an episode or two of Frank's rapid mental deterioration... then somewhere while the season finale is in full swing, briefly show the Frank's metamorphosis into The Punny One. Cue next seasson launch of Punsiher TV series.

ritchards

Non-gamer in a gaming world
Nov 20, 2009
Let's go into space more (hey, we're already getting Guardians of the Galaxy) with Nova and the rest of the Nova Corps. Worked for Green Lantern, right?

stickmangrit

May 30, 2008
yeah, gonna chime in on the "let's forget Sentry ever happened" bandwagon. dude was just a bad character all around.

completely in agreement on P:WZ though. you could not ask for a better blood-soaked 80's action throwback.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
I'm all down for Spider-Woman and She-Hulk, but couldn't really care about anyone else--Punisher and Moon Knight would probably show up in the Netflix adventures if they're even being considered for an appearance. And let's throw Mockingbird on that list. I mean, I don't want a Barton/Romanov/Morse love triangle, but it would be fun to have her around.

SeeDarkly_Xero

Jan 24, 2014
Therumancer said:
Actually Hyperion is Marvel's "Superman" analogue, indeed "Squadron Supreme" is pretty much a homage to the Justice League with exaggerated problems. The whole Earth/Paradise/Universe X even referred to Hyperion as his universes "Superman" at one point. They also tried to reboot this whole universe as "Supreme Power" which made things even more obvious while departing from the original version.

Ironically "Gladiator" is another direct Superman analogy. It's widely believed this book:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gladiator_(novel)#Publication_history

Is what DC based Superman off of, so creating a character called "Gladiator" who himself has cosmic abilities, head vision, and most of Supe's tricks (albeit being an Alien soldier) was another zing on DC comics.
However, Gladiator [http://marvel.wikia.com/Kallark_%28Earth-616%29], as a character inside the MU however, has no direct relation to that book, and started out as a more direct analogue of Superboy in the same way the Imperial Guard (his team) is a direct analogue of the Legion of Super Heroes ( The story about that goes back to issues Dave Cockrum had with DC when he used to work the Superboy/Legion title, where he originally intended Nightcrawler to be a member of the Legion. But after things didn't work out at DC he not only went on to use Nightcrawler in the X-men but he also developed that entire other "Legion" of his own to fight the X-men. )
But that book "Gladiator," though Marvel did make an adaptation, doesn't stand as part of Marvel Universe canon.

Hyperion (as originally conceived for Squadron Sinister/Supreme, not necessarily the one currently an Avenger) really is the direct analogue to Superman in the sense of power-set, identity, origin, weaknesses and other similarities of characterization.
(Also, Supreme Power stands as alternate universe tied to the Ultimates universe. Not a reboot, just an "otherworlds.")

But on the topic of Ten Characters Who SHOULD Show Up?
I'm really in no hurry to see them throw any of these characters at us without sufficiently thinking out the story.
Even with what they have used (Hall, Gill, etc...) I'm not interested in "ORIGIN STORY + WEEKS OF FIGHTING THAT SINGLE MENACE." I'm interested in seeing how the story unfolds organically, giving us time to digest it and build the story in an interesting way. I'm satisfied with the overall pacing so far.

Part of this is also about expectations. Whedon said up front not to expect the Avengers dropping by and he also said this was to tell the story of Humans dealing with a world that had changed and now includes SuperHumans. Some parts of that story are immediate. Others... not so much. And anyone's (all due respect Bob) top ten list of superpowered characters really shouldn't be expected so soon in the game. Maybe if it were "Marvel Team-up" or "Amazing Fantasy."
But it's not.
If we were to get all our favorite superheroes appearing constantly...
what in the world would we get to watch the AGENTS of S.H.I.E.L.D. do in their OWN DAMN SHOW?