10 Things Most Americans Don?t Know About America

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Zhukov said:
Vault101 said:
Zhukov said:
All of a sudden I want to travel.

(Australian, by the way, but a lot of those things apply to us too.)
just for fun..which specifically? though it is true that we are very very similar to america in alot of ways
Mostly #4 and #9.

Fair bit of #6 as well.
not so sure about 4 but yeah, I can agree

as for 6 I think alot of that is re-enforced by the media, not only the news but adds for world vision and all of that (and of coarse TV shows/movies)

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Vault101 said:
Zhukov said:
Vault101 said:
Zhukov said:
All of a sudden I want to travel.

(Australian, by the way, but a lot of those things apply to us too.)
just for fun..which specifically? though it is true that we are very very similar to america in alot of ways
Mostly #4 and #9.

Fair bit of #6 as well.
not so sure about 4 but yeah, I can agree

as for 6 I think alot of that is re-enforced by the media, not only the news but adds for world vision and all of that (and of coarse TV shows/movies)
I can assure you, #4 applies to us Aussies a lot.

It's something you don't quite realise until you see people from other countries in action. I didn't realise it until I met a bunch of Indian guys and a (seperate) bunch of Italians.

chadachada123

Jan 17, 2011
Vault101 said:
that was really really interesting

and its funny because I'm Australian and TBH I actually would be kind of facinated if I met an American
I don't blame you, I generally get really interested when talking to an Aussie online.

I met a real developer from Australia last week at Anime eXpo and was stammering like an idiot because his accent was so awesome (on top of the awesome work he's done).

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
chadachada123 said:
I don't blame you, I generally get really interested when talking to an Aussie online.

I met a real developer from Australia last week at Anime eXpo and was stammering like an idiot because his accent was so awesome (on top of the awesome work he's done).
we have developers?.....like game developers?

Souleks

Jan 17, 2009
What I expected.
"The Rose is the New York state flower"

Honestly sure maybe it might not apply to you
but I know a lot of people who this applies to.
plus I am super guilty of #4 that is generally how I have friendly conversation.

chadachada123

Jan 17, 2011
Vault101 said:
chadachada123 said:

Haha, well nearly half of the guys(/girls) that worked on Katawa Shoujo were Australian (and nearly another half was American), and they had a booth at the anime convention I went to. The lead writer (and basically the lead, well, everything guy) was Australian, so yeah.

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
Dags90 said:
DarkRyter said:
From sea to shining sea.
I see what you did there.

There are some things I'd agree with.

The guarded emotions are probably something we inherited from our British forefathers
Yep. I'm British and if a guy wandered up to me and said I was beautiful or something I would ask if he was making fun of me (before telling him to get his eyes tested ofc).

Just doesn't happen here either.

ZephrC

Free Cascadia!
Mar 9, 2010
DarkRyter said:
Generalisations.

Generalizations as far as the eye can see.

From sea to shining sea.
Yeah? Congratulations on your reading comprehension. Now why do I get the feeling you somehow think that generalizations are inherently evil?
Mortai Gravesend said:
Wow. That was an extremely hostile and long-winded way of saying that you agree with most of what was said and hang out with fairly intelligent people.

goldberg2

Oct 15, 2011
Yassen said:
those exceptions are called English and Australian people. Whoopdie-fucking-doo.
Australians are not really that impressed by Americans either, so don't flatter yourself with that belief

Jarek Mace

Jun 8, 2009
goldberg2 said:
Yassen said:
those exceptions are called English and Australian people. Whoopdie-fucking-doo.
Australians are not really that impressed by Americans either, so don't flatter yourself with that belief
Urr, yeah. We're really not interested in you. If anything you'd find less interest coming from us due to our similarities.
Oh look, you're like Britain except for that backwards tradition known as religion, you've got ridiculously large portions in comparison to us, and you think that you've somehow won history like in the Civilisation games.

Shocksplicer

Apr 10, 2011
Vault101 said:
chadachada123 said:

We HAD developers. Since the GFC the only well known ones left are Firemint and Halfbrick, makers of Flight control and Fruit Ninja, respectively.

I'd also like to add that one thing Aussies have over Americans is that people all over the world fucking LOVE us. I've gotten so many free drinks for being an Aussie overseas...

Jay Knowles

Aug 24, 2010
That's more or less the experience I had when I went to the states a few years ago to stay with my aunt and uncle for a month. what really got to me was the degree that people relied on authority figures to sort out their problems rather than doing something about it themselves. I come from New Zealand, and over here swearing is something that happens naturally without thinking, much like Aussie, and while I was over there kids would go and tell their parents every time I 'said a bad word' who would then tell me off... (who the hell are you to tell me what to do).
that and how grey it was over there. everything was grey. even the sky, even out in the country, or 10000ft in the air. when I got home I was overwhelmed with how much colour there was, even in the heart of our largest city there was flowers and trees and grass.

AnarchistFish

Jul 25, 2011
1. Few People Are Impressed By Us

As Americans, we're brought up our entire lives being taught that we're the best, we did everything first and that the rest of the world follows our lead.
Haha is that actually true? I thought we were all just taking the exaggerated piss when we say that America is full of itself, and when in films the American characters try to use being-an-American as a way to get something from someone.

2. Few People Hate Us
Yeah, Americans are actually really nice most of the time (although they can be really stupid as well, sorry). We hate your government though.

3. We Know Nothing About The Rest Of The World
To be fair, you could probably say that about most countries. It's difficult to see how things are viewed elsewhere in the world.

We did not invent democracy. We didn't even invent modern democracy.
Wait, people believed this too?

5. The Quality of Life For The Average American Is Not That Great

If you're extremely talented or intelligent, the US is probably the best place in the world to live. The system is stacked heavily to allow people of talent and advantage to rise to the top quickly.

The problem with the US is that everyone thinks they are of talent and advantage. As John Steinbeck famously said, the problem with poor Americans is that ?they don't believe they?re poor, but rather temporarily embarrassed millionaires.? It's this culture of self-delusion that allows America to continue to innovate and churn out new industry more than anyone else in the world. But this shared delusion also unfortunately keeps perpetuating large social inequalities and the quality of life for the average citizen lower than most other developed countries. It?s the price we pay to maintain our growth and economic dominance.

In my Guide to Wealth, I defined being wealthy as, ?Having the freedom to maximize one?s life experiences.? In those terms, despite the average American having more material wealth than citizens of most other countries (more cars, bigger houses, nicer televisions), their overall quality of life suffers in my opinion. American people on average work more hours with less vacation, spend more time commuting every day, and are saddled with over $10,000 of debt. That?s a lot of time spent working and buying crap and little time or disposable income for relationships, activities or new experiences.
Well that's what happens when you make your country based so much around capitalism. Don't get why Americans overwork themselves.

6. The Rest Of The World Is Not A Slum-Ridden Shithole Compared To Us
Again, this is probably something in the western world in general. The big cities can be quite advanced, even if not to the level of countries like the UK, US or Japan, but we focus on the worst aspects a lot so you have to take it with a grain of salt. I'm going to Quito, Ecuador in August so I'll see for myself.

7. We're Paranoid
Again, western thing. "Don't go to Ecuador, you'll get aids and be killed by the drug cartels!!!!"

8. We're Status-Obsessed And Seek Attention

I?ve noticed that the way we Americans communicate is usually designed to create a lot of attention and hype. Again, I think this is a product of our consumer culture: the belief that something isn?t worthwhile or important unless it?s perceived to be the best (BEST EVER!!!) or unless it gets a lot of attention (see: every reality-television show ever made).

This is why Americans have a peculiar habit of thinking everything is ?totally awesome,? and even the most mundane activities were ?the best thing ever!? It?s the unconscious drive we share for importance and significance, this unmentioned belief, socially beaten into us since birth that if we?re not the best at something, then we don?t matter.

We?re status-obsessed. Our culture is built around achievement, production and being exceptional. Therefore comparing ourselves and attempting to out-do one another has infiltrated our social relationships as well. Who can slam the most beers first? Who can get reservations at the best restaurant? Who knows the promoter to the club? Who dated a girl on the cheerleading squad? Socializing becomes objectified and turned into a competition. And if you?re not winning, the implication is that you are not important and no one will like you.
This is something I'm scared the UK will inherit. We're susceptible to the US's influence, more so than I'm comfortable with.

9. We Are Very Unhealthy

Unless you have cancer or something equally dire, the health care system in the US sucks. The World Health Organization ranked the US 37th in the world for health care, despite the fact that we spend the most per capita by a large margin.
Wow. I'd have thought that private healthcare might actually make it better on a fundamental level compared to our over bureaucratic NHS (not that I'd ever sacrifice the NHS for a private system). But yeah, I don't get why people try to make out that the "Americans being unhealthy" thing is a stereotype when it's so fucking obvious.

10. We Mistake Comfort For Happiness

The United States is a country built on the exaltation of economic growth and personal ingenuity. Small businesses and constant growth are celebrated and supported above all else ? above affordable health care, above respectable education, above everything. Americans believe it?s your responsibility to take care of yourself and make something of yourself, not the state?s, not your community?s, not even your friend?s or family?s in some instances.

Comfort sells easier than happiness. Comfort is easy. It requires no effort and no work. Happiness takes effort. It requires being proactive, confronting fears, facing difficult situations, and having unpleasant conversations.

Comfort equals sales. We?ve been sold comfort for generations and for generations we bought: bigger houses, separated further and further out into the suburbs; bigger TV?s, more movies, and take-out. The American public is becoming docile and complacent. We?re obese and entitled. When we travel, we look for giant hotels that will insulate us and pamper us rather than for legitimate cultural experiences that may challenge our perspectives or help us grow as individuals.

Depression and anxiety disorders are soaring within the US. Our inability to confront anything unpleasant around us has not only created a national sense of entitlement, but it?s disconnected us from what actually drives happiness: relationships, unique experiences, feeling self-validated, achieving personal goals. It?s easier to watch a NASCAR race on television and tweet about it than to actually get out and try something new with a friend.

Unfortunately, a by-product of our massive commercial success is that we?re able to avoid the necessary emotional struggles of life in lieu of easy superficial pleasures.
Yeah this is a fundamental problem with capitalism and something I've been saying for years. Which is why it pisses me off so fucking much when someone says "you shouldn't be unhappy when you live comfortably like this", or something similar.

AnarchistFish

Jul 25, 2011
goldberg2 said:
Yassen said:
Or English people. Don't know where that came from.

devotedsniper

Dec 28, 2010
AnarchistFish said:
goldberg2 said:
Yassen said:
Or English people. Don't know where that came from.
I think you'll find they got that idea by our government following the US around like a lost puppy, the people of England/the UK however are not or at least I have never met anyone who was impressed.

R3dF41c0n

Feb 11, 2009
That was a good read. I think more Americans need to step back and seriously look at our country objectively. I really want to watch the Newsroom now.

Marowit

Nov 7, 2006
You're right, the 10+ years of medical/surgical training I do after undergrad shouldn't be reimbursed at all. You provide a compelling alternative...?