10 Worst Pokemon Designs

Feb 26, 2014
What? I love Vanillish! It's a fricken ice cream cone, how can you not love that? And it's adorable! I wanted it on my team, just because of its design. Vanilluxe and Chandelure are easily among my favorite Gen 5 designs.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime said:
canadamus_prime said:
canadamus_prime said:
The thing with Jynx though is it's based on a creature from Japanese mythology.

Anyway, you know when thy're giving you keyrings and ice cream cones you know they're running out of ideas.
Actually inanimate objects coming to life is also a key component of Japanese mythological folklore too. A lot of yokai/ayakashi are food, or household objects come to life. For example nattokozo and tofukozo are food objects come alive. There are also living inkwells and stuff.
I was unaware of that. I'm sadly not a scholar of Japanese mythology, I've only picked up the odd tidbit here and there.
Yeah, it's odd, many of the recent ghost types are very much like ghosts of traditional Japanese folklore. It's not that they've run dry on ideas, Pokemon is just that deeply Japanese all said.
Pokemon is very Japanese. I was reading the TVtropes page on Values Dissonance. The Japanese see no issue with the whole premise of a 10 year old going out on his/her own and battling with monsters, but among westerners it's been often compared to cockfighting, not to mention comments on irresponsible parenting and whatever. Also among the designs, Jynx for example, many westerners see Jynx and see Black Face instead of the Japanese mythical figure it was based on.

KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime

Lolita Style, The Best Style!
Jan 12, 2010
canadamus_prime said:
Yeah, it's odd, many of the recent ghost types are very much like ghosts of traditional Japanese folklore. It's not that they've run dry on ideas, Pokemon is just that deeply Japanese all said.
Pokemon is very Japanese. I was reading the TVtropes page on Values Dissonance. The Japanese see no issue with the whole premise of a 10 year old going out on his/her own and battling with monsters, but among westerners it's been often compared to cockfighting, not to mention comments on irresponsible parenting and whatever. Also among the designs, Jynx for example, many westerners see Jynx and see Black Face instead of the Japanese mythical figure it was based on.[/quote]

This is very true, although on face value Pokemon is essentially cockfighting, which is why Digimon kind of changed it's premise to differentiate it self from Pokemon. To help mitigate the cockfighting elements. Still that doesn't even come close to informing me to why some Christian fundamentalists say Pokemon is about satanic rituals....

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
This is very true, although on face value Pokemon is essentially cockfighting, which is why Digimon kind of changed it's premise to differentiate it self from Pokemon. To help mitigate the cockfighting elements. Still that doesn't even come close to informing me to why some Christian fundamentalists say Pokemon is about satanic rituals....
I suppose you could look at it that way, but if I understand the history of cockfighting or dog fighting, those animals weren't treated very well and were often abused. From what I've seen of the anime, the good Trainers and even Team Rocket (the trio) treat their Pokemon very well and take great care to look after them. The Trainers that abuse their Pokemon and otherwise don't look after them are often the antagonists.
As for the Christian fundamentalists, I don't know. They're Christian fundamentalists, they see Satan in everything that isn't in the Bible.

ccggenius12

Sep 30, 2010
Honestly, the WORST thing about Luvdisc is Alomomola. More specifically, how they aren't in any way related. I just... I can't...

PS: Pretty sure every "awful pokemon" thread needs to taste a bit like Egoraptor