10 Years of gaming (wall of text)

rex922

Sep 30, 2009
Altorin said:
rex922 said:
easy evil said:
rex922 said:
I think we are heading for the next video game market crash since more crappy games are coming out and i do not see an end in sight
You really believe that? I know analyst’s weren’t to nice in their predictions but none of them has even come close to saying something like that. Hell some of them are promising an increase in profits for 2010. I believe that the industry will see some positive revenue growth in 2010 all the way to 2011.
The first video game crash i believe happened because the market was filled with games that was bad and that no innovation took place.

Currently we are in the world of sequels and that innovation is pretty much copying the best selling console(wii and motion controller).

Therefore, I thoroughly believe another crash is possible if not imminent.
the original crash happened for reasons that don't exist anymore. The first crash happened because ANYONE could make an Atari 2600 game. Hundreds of games made by people who had no training or skill at making games hit the market in a very short period of time. They were all horrible, but not horrible by today's standards. Horrible as in they just didn't work, or were just blinking lights on a screen that someone thought was entertaining.

It was like if you had to go into a store and spend 60 bucks on a Youtube video. That's not the case anymore. Games take a lot of money to make, and they're a very specialized thing that you train to make. Even the bad ones are usually playable.

Not like you care anyway. You talk about history, but you don't even know what the fact of the matter is.

the video game industry isn't in fear of an imminent crash, and if it is, it definitely won't be for the same reasons as the last one.
Relax, you are right of course i did not explain as thoroughly as you although you may be right on the part of all games being playable since they always go through platform holder testing first.

Yes a triple A title today takes around im guessing USD$18M.

I would like to believe that we have higher standards now and playable can no longer cut it with technology this far advanced i would only want the best.

TBR

Nov 23, 2009
The_Blue_Rider said:
WOw everyones jumping the gun, its 2011 thats the start of a new decade.
I've got no problem with the way gaming is going if it sucks theyll learn from their mistakes and well move on
You're on a gaming site, best start countin' like a programmer.

The first number is always 0, so yes, we are at the start of a new decade.

2000 wasn't the last year of the nineties now, was it?

Wazzupow

Dec 1, 2009
jimduckie said:
another gaming crash is imminent ,brace for impact ...

sry one of you systems will have to go , pc go hold the door , you are safe ... nintendo , grab the legs and get ready to toss someone's ass out
I vote Sony!

Axolotl

Feb 17, 2008
VioletZer0 said:
I still don't get why people say that 2011 is the start of the new decade.

When keeping track of what decade is what, it is much easier this way to start at 0. Not at 1.
xIt's because they like to use the method that is correct not the method that's easiest.

llafnwod

Nov 9, 2007
Axolotl said:
VioletZer0 said:
I still don't get why people say that 2011 is the start of the new decade.

When keeping track of what decade is what, it is much easier this way to start at 0. Not at 1.
xIt's because they like to use the method that is correct not the method that's easiest.
Year one is the first year of the Gregorian calendar, preceded by one BC. You're incorrect.

Jazzyluv2

Nov 20, 2009
fuck you i play quake..... and guilty gear... and CS

all games that got there basis far before the retardation of games

Im a multiplayer Fag

But really, i look at games far different, most of the popular franchises nowadays are shallow and i just don't play them. Not a story man.

whycantibelinus

Sep 29, 2009
Furburt said:
You call that a wall of text? Ha!
I agree, I was expecting a fucking book..................with no paragraphs.

OT: The whole point of games is escaping reality (ha! the name of the site! [small][sub]kind of.[/sub][/small] so I think that in 10 years we will definitely be using keyboards and game pads. If we had to use our entire body to fucking explore Pandora it wouldn't really be as much fun would it? Running for miles without stopping, that would fucking suck.

comadorcrack

The Master of Speilingz
Mar 19, 2009
I'm not looking forward to photo realistic graphics... Too close to reality for me... The day that happens is the day I stop gaming...

Nightshine

Dec 23, 2009
Wow I know theres allways rude assholes but to be pokey at something like that is being a rather big dickhead.
I was comparing one of the buggest media successes of the 90's to one of the biggest media successes of the 2000's.
So how about you go and wipe that chip of your shoulder and think before you write.

Nightshine

Dec 23, 2009
TPiddy said:
First of all.... yes MW 2 was a big success... but comparing to other forms of media is ridiculous. When Titanic came out a movie ticket was less than $10. MW 2 sold for about $60 a pop. To try and compare the two is retarded. Stop it.

As for the future, I can still see us using controllers... that's just how we are. We like to feel like we're in control and taking that feeling away from us will not help us, especially when motion sensing technology will be very buggy and primitive for many years.
Wow I know theres allways rude assholes but to be pokey at something like that is being a rather big dickhead.
I was comparing one of the buggest media successes of the 90's to one of the biggest media successes of the 2000's.
So how about you go and wipe that chip of your shoulder and think before you write.