10 years of loss

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Today, 10 years ago, there was loss.

Now there's memes.

Can't believe its been 10 years of this meme, I can only imagine how it'll continue to be used in the future.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
Wait...what?

I feel kind of old when I think about some of the web comics I follow.
XD

Blood Brain Barrier

Nov 21, 2011
Disappointed. When I saw the words "Tim Buckley" I thought one of the greatest singer/songwriters of the 20th century had resurrected himself.

Ogoid

Nov 5, 2009
Criminy, ten years already? Boy, do I feel old right now... where'd all that time go?

On the other hand, though, it's somewhat reassuring to learn that whatever twists this crazy life may bring, some things - such as the level of sheer cringe coming from that comic - remain ever the same.

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
There's a brilliant video by YouTube's HBomberguy on the comic that really deserves to be seen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TebCHHCw9rY&t=1838s

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Blood Brain Barrier said:
Disappointed. When I saw the words "Tim Buckley" I thought one of the greatest singer/songwriters of the 20th century had resurrected himself.
I totally thought you meant Jeff Buckley. I forgot about his dad

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Xsjadoblayde said:
I don't get it.

Is there a joke there? Am I supposed to be feeling anything?
This was Buckley's attempt at drama in an otherwise silly vidjagames strip, though the last panel is shopped (as is custom).

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Ironic really there's still so much drama over a 4 panel comic from a decade ago. Seems like CAD played you all for chumps.

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
Xsjadoblayde said:
I don't get it.

Is there a joke there? Am I supposed to be feeling anything?
CAD was largely somewhat silly in its subject matter, but its writer would occasionally try to switch things up a bit. For the sake of example, the leading lady's ex was an outright manipulative tool, not played for laughs. The strip in question in the OP, however, was part of an arc dealing with an unexpected pregnancy, and this strip revealed that it ended in a miscarriage. Now, CAD was always...controversial at best. On the one hand its viewership was such that the author could live off the ad revenue alone. On the other hand, it always seemed far easier to find people who hated the strip rather than people who liked it. The former jumped on this strip largely in one of two ways: 1) snidely dismissing the convenience of the miscarriage in a way not dissimilar to how pro-lifers chide abortion as a way of ducking responsibility, and 2) Indignant sarcasm to the effect of "Because miscarriages are funny, amirite???" The image in the OP was a 'fan' edit to the comic made in a similar vein.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
PsychedelicDiamond said:
There's a brilliant video by YouTube's HBomberguy on the comic that really deserves to be seen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TebCHHCw9rY&t=1838s
Wait, HBomberguy made a video that wasn't about Fallout or Sherlock that was good?

His channel is a bit of a tragedy when you think about it. So much talent at critiquing media, he could have been bigger then RedLetterMedia, and he squandered it by being yet millennial pontificating about things he's read about online and pretending that makes him an expert.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
undeadsuitor said:
Silentpony said:
undeadsuitor said:
Silentpony said:
Ironic really there's still so much drama over a 4 panel comic from a decade ago. Seems like CAD played you all for chumps.
are memes drama now?
Decade old memes? Yeah, that's just drama.
So...was it not drama last week when it was only 9 years old?
Memes live about 6 weeks. Some, like Dolan or Sad Keanu lived for only handful of weeks, some lived hours like the whole n't thing and Uganda Knuckles. Others lived for nearly 3 whole months, like Steamed Hams or Nice Guys or Rick and Morty.

the CAD thing was a meme for a solid 6 weeks, but starting right around July 14th, 2008 it was Drama.