10 years of loss

Smithnikov_v1legacy

May 7, 2016
Zontar said:
PsychedelicDiamond said:
There's a brilliant video by YouTube's HBomberguy on the comic that really deserves to be seen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TebCHHCw9rY&t=1838s
Wait, HBomberguy made a video that wasn't about Fallout or Sherlock that was good?

His channel is a bit of a tragedy when you think about it. So much talent at critiquing media, he could have been bigger then RedLetterMedia, and he squandered it by being yet millennial pontificating about things he's read about online and pretending that makes him an expert.
Worked for David Aurini and Roosh, didn't it?

Oct 22, 2011
Fieldy409 said:
I remember Yahtzee hated CAD with a passion, and wrote an article about why he wasnt funny on fullyramblomatic
It was a bog standard Two Nerdy Guys(or more) and a Chick webcomic(basicly, what BBT turned into a cashcow), that wasn't even doing the, back then very popular, formula very well. Yahtzee wasn't the only person making fun of it, and the author didn't take criticism well.
Seems some of that criticism made Buckley consider experimenting with it, which lead to LOSS.jpg among other things. and the rest is history...

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Smithnikov said:
Zontar said:
PsychedelicDiamond said:
There's a brilliant video by YouTube's HBomberguy on the comic that really deserves to be seen:

Wait, HBomberguy made a video that wasn't about Fallout or Sherlock that was good?

His channel is a bit of a tragedy when you think about it. So much talent at critiquing media, he could have been bigger then RedLetterMedia, and he squandered it by being yet millennial pontificating about things he's read about online and pretending that makes him an expert.
Worked for David Aurini and Roosh, didn't it?
I'd say it "worked" in that they can get a job out of it I guess, but would one really want to be known for these type of things?

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
MrCalavera said:
Silentpony said:
the CAD thing was a meme for a solid 6 weeks, but starting right around July 14th, 2008 it was Drama.
Wait... what? I think you and me have a different definition of "drama".
If its not a meme, its just drama. This whole thread is drama for drama's sake.

undeadsuitor said:
Silentpony said:
undeadsuitor said:
Silentpony said:
undeadsuitor said:
Silentpony said:
Ironic really there's still so much drama over a 4 panel comic from a decade ago. Seems like CAD played you all for chumps.
are memes drama now?
Decade old memes? Yeah, that's just drama.
So...was it not drama last week when it was only 9 years old?
Memes live about 6 weeks. Some, like Dolan or Sad Keanu lived for only handful of weeks, some lived hours like the whole n't thing and Uganda Knuckles. Others lived for nearly 3 whole months, like Steamed Hams or Nice Guys or Rick and Morty.

the CAD thing was a meme for a solid 6 weeks, but starting right around July 14th, 2008 it was Drama.
Doesn't quantifying their life cycle go against their unquantifiable existence?
Memes are fully quantifiable. Its value as a comedic piece is up for personal interpretation, as is to a degree its life cycle in that outliers may get a Doge meme tattoo and think its retro, when to the rest of us its just tired and old.
The life cycle of individual memes varies, yes, but the fact all memes die shortly after inception and virality doesn't change. Think of it as a group immunity. The faster the meme spreads the quicker is burns out and people move on, even if that odd rando doesn't wash his hands for 10 years and is still contracting CAD.

Oct 22, 2011
Silentpony said:
MrCalavera said:
Silentpony said:
What's so dramatic about it? For me, drama, in the internet enviroment, is for example latest beef between two youtubers that dies after a week or so, only to be replaced by another one, after people already forgot what caused it in first place.
10 yo comic strip being discussed today is like, on the opposite side of the scale.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
MrCalavera said:
Silentpony said:
MrCalavera said:
Silentpony said:
What's so dramatic about it? For me, drama, in the internet enviroment, is for example latest beef between two youtubers that dies after a week or so, only to be replaced by another one, after people already forgot what caused it in first place.
10 yo comic strip being discussed today is like, on the opposite side of the scale.
Its drama because its useless and unnecessary. There is no value in bringing it up, and no value in discussing it. It was a thing that one time a decade ago. Leave it be.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Silentpony said:
MrCalavera said:
Silentpony said:
MrCalavera said:
Silentpony said:
Its drama because its useless and unnecessary. There is no value in bringing it up, and no value in discussing it. It was a thing that one time a decade ago. Leave it be.
Why leave it if it's still good for a chuckle?

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
PsychedelicDiamond said:

I was going to post this, but you beat me to it.

Everyone else, watch to the end. I'm not going to spoil, but it will make sense.

Zontar said:
So much talent at critiquing media, he could have been bigger then RedLetterMedia, and he squandered it by being yet millennial pontificating about things he's read about online and pretending that makes him an expert.
Pfffffffffftttt....

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Johnny Novgorod said:
Is it? Is it really? What new chuckle can be extracted from a decade old corpse? As undeadsuitor said last week was it any different as 9.99 years old? How is something was A. wasn't funny to begin with and B. the 'lulz' reaction hasn't been funny for almost a decade is now suddenly worth a chuckle now that its been slightly longer since it wasn't funny and people stopped caring?

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Asita said:
CAD was largely somewhat silly in its subject matter, but its writer would occasionally try to switch things up a bit. For the sake of example, the leading lady's ex was an outright manipulative tool, not played for laughs. The strip in question in the OP, however, was part of an arc dealing with an unexpected pregnancy, and this strip revealed that it ended in a miscarriage. Now, CAD was always...controversial at best. On the one hand its viewership was such that the author could live off the ad revenue alone. On the other hand, it always seemed far easier to find people who hated the strip rather than people who liked it. The former jumped on this strip largely in one of two ways: 1) snidely dismissing the convenience of the miscarriage in a way not dissimilar to how pro-lifers chide abortion as a way of ducking responsibility, and 2) Indignant sarcasm to the effect of "Because miscarriages are funny, amirite???" The image in the OP was a 'fan' edit to the comic made in a similar vein.
Ehhm...so it's an attempt at drama but also a joke? Or an attempt at drama that was perceived as a joke? Am thinking perhaps webcomics are not for me, as they don't seem to elicit any emotional response.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Xsjadoblayde said:
Ehhm...so it's an attempt at drama but also a joke? Or an attempt at drama that was perceived as a joke? Am thinking perhaps webcomics are not for me, as they don't seem to elicit any emotional response.
It wasn't meant as a joke, and I don't think anybody believed it was meant that way. It was an attempt at proper drama, but it didn't hit home because a videogame webcomic isn't the best place to properly approach the topic.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Silvanus said:
It wasn't meant as a joke, and I don't think anybody believed it was meant that way. It was an attempt at proper drama, but it didn't hit home because a videogame webcomic isn't the best place to properly approach the topic.
Well at least they were trying to shake up a routine. That is somewhat admirable even if the medium itself is vapid nonsense (in my inexperienced humble opinion).

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Xsjadoblayde said:
Well at least they were trying to shake up a routine. That is somewhat admirable even if the medium itself is vapid nonsense (in my inexperienced humble opinion).
Well, I think the vast majority are pretty vapid (I'm definitely no fan of Ctrl-Alt-Del), but there are some gems to be found. Order of the Stick and Erfworld both became pretty great, though not perfect.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Silvanus said:
Well, I think the vast majority are pretty vapid (I'm definitely no fan of Ctrl-Alt-Del), but there are some gems to be found. Order of the Stick and Erfworld both became pretty great, though not perfect.
Thankyou for the recommendations, it is much appreciated to have an idea of where to begin in the search for better examples in a medium, and my limited exposure hasn't been a greatly flattering impression. Can imagine with the ease of which these are produced would increase the ratio of low quality to sift through also, being worse than the 'horror' movie genre. ;)

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Silentpony said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Is it? Is it really? What new chuckle can be extracted from a decade old corpse? As undeadsuitor said last week was it any different as 9.99 years old? How is something was A. wasn't funny to begin with and B. the 'lulz' reaction hasn't been funny for almost a decade is now suddenly worth a chuckle now that its been slightly longer since it wasn't funny and people stopped caring?
I dunno, I chuckled. I'll chuckle again 10 years from now if anybody reminds me.