Prepare to Meet the Pyro

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Prepare to Meet the Pyro

It's [almost] time to Meet the Pyro!

You've met the Medic [http://www.teamfortress.com/classes.php?class=heavy]. You've met all the Team Fortress 2 crew, in fact, but one: the Pyro. But it appears that the long awaited moment is just about here, and that soon - actually, the word Valve used is "eventually" - we'll finally get to meet the man.

If he is a man, that is.

It's long been rumored that the world's favorite FPS firebug is in fact a member of the fairer sex and that we just haven't noticed because of the function-over-fashion outfit. I'm not aware of any actual evidence pointing to this conclusion, but Valve isn't going out of its way to cool the talk.

"Only two things are known for sure about the mysterious Pyro: he sets things on fire and he doesn't speak. In fact, only the part about setting things on fire is undisputed. Some believe his occasional rasping wheeze may be an attempt to communicate through a mouth obstructed by a filter and attached to lungs ravaged by constant exposure to his asbestos-lined suit," the Pyro class entry [http://www.teamfortress.com/classes.php?class=pyro] says. "Either way, he's a fearsome, inscrutable, on-fire Frankenstein of a man - if he even is a man."

Interesting! Valve has a few other things in the works for 2012 as well, including a top-secret TF2 project that is neither a hat nor a map [but possibly an ungodly hat-map hybrid], a Steam Workshop blog and the second annual Saxxy Awards. Read all about it at teamfortress.com [http://www.teamfortress.com/post.php?id=7254]!

Thanks to The_root_of_all_evil [www.escapistmagazine.com/profiles/view/The_root_of_all_evil] for the tip.

Monkeyman O'Brien

Jan 27, 2012
Im betting on a Kenny [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49hhd0bmvh0] style narration that won't reveal a damn thing.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009

I always like the "Meet the" videos. Plus more content from Valve is always a plus.

I'm going to bet that the Pyro's gender will remain ambiguous after the video though.

Viridian

Jan 25, 2012
In b4 muffled "mhrmhr" of agreement.

I've always enjoyed these intro videos, and it's about time the pyro got his/her turn.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
And just as I completed the last of the Pyro achievements. I hope the video's Pyro uses the Degreaser like I do.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
I almost guarantee that they'll continue to troll us and not reveal the Pyros sex in traditional Valve troll fashion.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Oh come on Valve don't tease us that way! Great now I got something to look forward in the coming months.

Byere

Jan 8, 2009
wait what? A hat-map hybrid? Oh gawd! The demonic, unearthly, giant space hats have landed and now you have to fight across their hatty surfaces, killing all the hat-wearing lunatics!!!!! [insert screams of fear and panic]

Fr]anc[is

May 13, 2010
I'm guessing something big is going to drop before we get to see the pyro, either the HL3 logo or a TF3:Hats announcement.

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
Judging from some of the language in their post and some stuff I heard ages ago, I already know what the secret project is.

Source Filmmaker. Which they said a while ago was going to be released when Meet the Pyro comes out.

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
Waaghpowa said:
I almost guarantee that they'll continue to troll us and not reveal the Pyros sex in traditional Valve troll fashion.
Isn't it obvious who the Pyro is?

[HEADING=1]DUN DUN DUN![/HEADING]

Why did you think the G-man spoke so weirdly?
"lungs ravaged by constant exposure to his asbestos-lined suit"
Yeah, that'll do it.

That's the real revelation. And the next thing on the cards:
a top-secret TF2 project that is neither a hat nor a map
It's Gordon Freeman, as a playable TF2 Character, fighting one-on-one with Saxton Hale!

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Monkeyman O said:
Im betting on a Kenny [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49hhd0bmvh0] style narration that won't reveal a damn thing.
Pretty much my thoughts exactly. I see a Pyro acting as though he/she is carrying on a detailed, lengthy interview, mrphhurphburphmurph'ing along as though all of us can understand it.

Personally I gotta say my favorite Meet The video is Meet The Sniper. "Look dad, I'm an assassin, not a crazed gunman!.....Well the difference being that one is a profession and the other is a mental disorder!"

NLS

Norwegian Llama Stylist
Jan 7, 2010
I hope they reveal that the pyro is in fact Gordon Freeman, and that TF2 was HL(2Ep)3 all along.
Yep, you heard it from me first.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
Andy Chalk said:
It's long been rumored that the world's favorite FPS firebug is in fact a member of the fairer sex and that we just haven't noticed because of the function-over-fashion outfit. I'm not aware of any actual evidence pointing to this conclusion, but Valve isn't going out of its way to cool the talk.
To my knowledge, the only actual evidence is that there's a purse in Pyro's locker on the 2fort map. However, the counter-argument is that it's equally likely that Pyro is a guy, and he has a purse because he's just plain bat-shit loco.

If other evidence besides the purse exists, I don't know about it or cannot think of it off-hand. I think there's maybe a Pyro-exclusive hat that acts as evidence with the same "he's just crazy" counter-point.

Veloxe

Oct 5, 2010
It might just be too much Top Gear but I figure The Pyro is actually The Stig, or vice versa.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
I expect a reasonable interview, with "Murnphurnf" being about all we hear, with documentary style italicized subtitles to tell us what s/he's saying to a commentator, who might ask a question like "and how do you respond to the claims that you're secretly a woman hiding behind the suit?" And it cuts to a shot of her blazing someone up, followed by more mumblecore, with the subtitles "I leave the question burning in their minds." or some other suitably terrible pun.

SamuelT

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2009
Country
Nederland
I'm not convinced that the revelation of the Pyro will be cut short by another announcement, or something. Or just 3.5 minutes of the guy/girl being interviewed and answering with those muffled words.

'Cause Valve're trolls like that.