Matt Smith Proposes, Doctor Who Style

Marshall Honorof

Feb 16, 2011
Matt Smith Proposes, Doctor Who Style

A Doctor Who fan with an impeccable name proposes in front of the TARDIS and gets a special message from the Doctor himself.

Sometimes, having the same name as someone important just doesn't work out (remember what happened to that [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Be7Og9Gc_KY] Matt Smith), though, sharing a name with the 11th Doctor has a whole TARDIS full of benefits. Thanks to his name and his now-fiancée's love of the never-ending British sci-fi saga, Smith was able to leverage a whole Doctor Who exhibit to propose to his girlfriend, and even received a personal congratulations from the Doctor himself.

Smith, a 22-year-old Essex native, devised a cunning plan worthy of the good Doctor to win the heart of Stacie-Anne Dilkes. The two had been dating for a while, and Smith wanted to surprise Dilkes with two things she loved: Doctor Who and being with Smith himself. When Dilkes visited the Doctor Who Experience exhibit in London, Smith (with BBC Worldwide's blessing) dressed up in a tweed jacket and a bowtie (because, you know, bowties are cool [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPGTizdGwSc]), pretended to be part of the exhibit. When Dilkes passed by the time-traveling TARDIS, Smith got down on one knee and proposed marriage - and Dilkes said yes.

To complete the happy occasion, the couple received a personal message from that other Matt Smith, who currently holds the role of the Doctor. "[There] are so many Smiths!!" he exclaims. "But I bet none of them have (sic) proposed at the Doctor Who Experience!" Actor Smith goes on to express his belief that Rory Williams and Amy Pond, the married couple of the current Doctor Who series, would approve of their union, then speculates on what the future may hold. "Next - babies in the TARDIS...?"

A certain leading lady once asked, "What's in a name?" For not-Doctor Smith, it may not be a life of time travel and adventure, but at least he'll always have his favorite companion by his side.

Source: GeekMom [http://www.geekmom.com/2012/02/matt-smith-proposes-at-londons-doctor-who-experience/]

Zen Toombs

Nov 7, 2011
SQUEE

/nerdgasm

Congratulations sir, you have succeed at life.

I cannot properly express how wonderful this is.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
It's enough to make you wanna go "D'Awwwww!" with your hands clasped by your chin. How wonderful for them!

Endocrom

Apr 6, 2009
Did anybody else read "Matt Smith Proposes, Doctor Who Style" and think the actor wanted a sexual position named after his character?

Tartarga

Jun 4, 2008
Now assuming she takes his name they could call the baby John Smith as kind of a throwback to Tennant era Doctor's alias. Not many people would probably get that though, I guess it could just be a running joke between them.

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
Stop using up my ideas! D:
I'll need to think up something even more geeky for my proposal!

VoidWanderer

Sep 17, 2011
Congrats to the guy first of all, but after seeing David Tennant's girlfriend... yeah

The Doctor's Daughter episode

Rainboq

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2009
TimeLord said:
Stop using up my ideas! D:
I'll need to think up something even more geeky for my proposal!
XD Timey, don't fall into the 'Simpson's did it' trap!

OT: SO. ADORABLE. *melts*

algalon

Dec 6, 2010
Melody - perfect name for a baby girl. Alfie if they have a boy, or perhaps Stormageddon, Dark Lord of All.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Hmmm, well it would be funny if he was confused with the OTHER Doctor Smith... you know the one from "Lost In Space". :)

if only a certain cheezy robot could have crashed the wedding screaming "Danger Will Robinson, Danger!" that would be a double-play nerd-stunt of truely legendary proportions... albiet probably one which wouldn't be appreciated by the couple in question. :)

standokan

May 28, 2009
Well, if she would've said no, he would've had the perfect way of erasing the whole happening from existence. It's a foolproof plan.

EeveeElectro

Cats.
Aug 3, 2008
Awwwwwwww. :')
I would LOVE something like that. I'd feel a bit awkward getting proposed to in front of people, but that would be fine by me xP
I'd just have to marry a geek, if something similar to that was to occur I'd be in my element ;o

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
Awwww... I love geeky proposals, they're always amusing to watch and heartwarming when done right. Congrats to the happy couple!