13,000 Play Half-Life 2 For Half-Life 3

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
13,000 Play Half-Life 2 For Half-Life 3

The Half-Life 3 "Call for Communication" event this past weekend was a success, but not nearly as big as it could have been.

The Half-Life 2 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/115624-Play-Half-Life-2-for-Half-Life-3] at 2 pm EST this past Saturday, February 4, not just to waste some Combine but to make a point with Valve: we love Half-Life and we're tired of being kept in the dark. It's been almost five years since Episode Two, after all. That's a long time for an "episode."

The response was impressive, as the Half-Life 2 player count [http://steamgraph.net/index.php?action=graph&jstime=1&appid=220&from=Start+Time&to=End+Time], after not cracking the 2000 player mark since the summer of 2011, jumped from around 3000 to 13,216 over a single 30-minute period on Saturday and came one spot shy of breaking into the top ten Steam games for the day. On the downside, that number is just over one-third of the roughly 36,000 members the group boasted when in the middle of last week, a number that has since gone up to over 52,000.

"Our primary goal was to unite Half-Life fans in a unique and interesting way, and that was accomplished. Whether or not Valve will respond has yet to be determined; however, seven years after the release of Half-Life 2, over 13,000 fans have returned to play it again, together. That means something," the group founder wrote [http://steamcommunity.com/groups/messagetovalve/announcements/detail/1209451121185662422]. "I am personally impressed with what we've achieved today. We're nowhere near done -- in fact, we are currently in the process of planning new activities; this was only our first attempt, and, in my eyes, was a success for everyone."

The real measure of success will be a response from Valve with some useful information about the future of the Half-Life franchise. That hasn't happened yet, but here's hoping that the player spike - and similar, bigger spikes in the future - will be enough to get someone's attention and get the wheels turning.

Amgeo

Apr 14, 2011
Well, I did my part. I played the game for most of the day, and I mentioned it to my friends. It's kind of understandable, though. I mean, most people have things to do on Saturday.

Zen Toombs

Nov 7, 2011
I would've done my part, but I'm one of those dumb kids with a console instead of Steam.

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
I'm not a fan of the original Half Life, but I took this as a good excuse to try HL2 on Saturday, and I'm enjoying it. It feels much more like a Valve game than HL did.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
I sadly didn't participate. Blame it on me trying to get a goddamn installation to work for another game.

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
Personally, I can wait. I still play Half-Life fairly regularly anyway. As long as the final product is good, I can wait as long as it takes them.

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
I did my part too, I put up against bullshit striders on Hard for the cause ^-^

however I did find funny to go to the group's player list and find about 6 out of 20 (kinda, not exact) playing stuff like Call of Duty and shit after the HL2 event started XD

Qitz

Mar 6, 2011
Here, let me answer it for you.

"We have no plans at this moment to develop Half-Life 3, but that doesn't mean we'll never do it."

I doubt they'll get anything more than that. Maybe the ever popular Soon?

karloss01

Jul 5, 2009
I think this would have worked better on a sunday, considering most people don't work that day. but i'm one of those 13000 people so i did my part.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
Zen Toombs said:
I would've done my part, but I'm one of those dumb kids with a console instead of Steam.
Does that mean we can blame you if they don't come out with HL3 info?

I kid.

JaneDoe

Aug 28, 2009
I played, it was fun!

I think it should be done periodically ya know, try to get some regular spikes going!

Just for the sake of it really, I don't think it'll make valve talk but it might inspire something somewhere!

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Seriously, they're being awfully tight lipped about this stuff, even their loyal fans are losing patience.

ritchards

Non-gamer in a gaming world
Nov 20, 2009
So the fans didn't turn up?
(I know I didn't. Was busy... but I did play Half-Life the next day, does that count?)

Seraj

Nov 27, 2010
If they aren't going to develop it, they would of sold the IP and made a nice profit. I think they still have something going on in the background...

Electrogecko

Apr 15, 2010
I signed up for the group (the first steam group I've ever joined....I barely use steam) and didn't play so blame me.

No, I played HL2 and ep 1 and 2 all in succession and all for the first time about 6 months ago....by far the best FPS campaign I've ever played....I don't know how we've gone so backward since.

I don't know what to make of Valve's absolute silence. Part of me believes that they haven't done shit and don't want to have to blurt out "there's nothing- sorry" and another part thinks they just want to not fudge the official announcement they're going to make sometime soon.

Would the HL2 fans really calmly accept any answer other than "We're working on it- It'll be here soon."?

sunami88

Jun 23, 2008
I feel really shitty and need to confess: On the day itself life interfered and I was unable to make it.

I shall fall on my own sword now...

LavaLampBamboo

King of Okay
Jun 27, 2008
I played through from the start up to when you reach Black Mesa East, skipped Ravenholm and the Highway 17 to Nova Prospekt, then gave up =)

I really would like to see this make a difference, I hope the guys behind this do it again at some point, maybe in a month or so if Valve are still silent =)