13,000 Play Half-Life 2 For Half-Life 3

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
What sort of bullshit is this? Either they do it or they don't, and this isn't the first time a developer has made fans "beg" for a game, so don't let them think this stuff is a good idea.

Retardinator

Nov 2, 2009
Goddammit, I forgot about this. Would've played it all day. Goddamn colleges and their essays and shit.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
I was out doing stuff. It was the middle of a beautiful Saturday, I'm not going to stay home playing half-life 2 :p

Arkitext

Mar 25, 2008
The thing is, I don't for a second think Valve is gonna bat an eyelid to these shenanigans, but it was a cool idea and I got my Zombie Chopper (Ravenholm with the G-Gun) Achievement, after all this time. Booyah! Such a good game still.

Anyway, I'm with the crowd that's basically saying, "at this point all we want to know is whether or not HL2:Episode 3 is still in development (hell) or ever to be expected... ever."

Look, I happily waited for Skyrim after Oblivion, I fully agree that with major sequels to the worlds greatest games, "they'll be done when they're done", and I can wait forever for Half-Life 3, don't really care about it, it's not on my radar. What I'm talking about is Episodic Content that was promised us.

I'd be more happy with an official "stfu it's never coming, wait for HL3" than just never knowing.

Anyway, like I said, I can't say I expect anything official to come out of this, but I like to think it was a worthy cause to spend some of my free time on, and a great game to spend that time on too, regardless of causes.

It's a win-win in my book. I don't know why people be bellyachin' against such things.

A Satanic Panda

Nov 5, 2009

I really hope Valve give us... well ANYTHING at this point. The fan-base is becoming really stirred up and needs to be fed.

Blitzkrieg8

Jun 25, 2008
I did my part played Half life 2 from beginning to end. Then I tried to play the original Half life but I didn't get too far

marurder

Jul 26, 2009
I hope some fans make an entire new episode of good quality out of spite. Not sure if that would be illegal though...

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
I played, put it on my blog and even gave a free copy I had to someone else. I think they could have held it at a better time though people kind of have stuff to do at 11am on Saturday. It wasn't so bad for me because I was in the UK.

May 5, 2010
Sober Thal said:
Wait...

So only a third of the people who signed up participated...

There is no news of Half Life 3...

People call this a success?

Did I miss something?
Gonna go ahead and second this. Then again, it was kinda doomed from the start. If Valve doesn't want to tell us anything about Half Life 3, I don't see how a bunch of people playing Half Life 2 will magically convince them otherwise.

May 5, 2010
Sober Thal said:
Frozen Donkey Wheel2 said:
Sober Thal said:
Wait...

So only a third of the people who signed up participated...

There is no news of Half Life 3...

People call this a success?

Did I miss something?
Gonna go ahead and second this. Then again, it was kinda doomed from the start. If Valve doesn't want to tell us anything about Half Life 3, I don't see how a bunch of people playing Half Life 2 will magically convince them otherwise.
I have a better idea, one that will get us a response... get everyone to STOP using STEAM for one day.

Hell, I say we boycott STEAM until we hear something! I'll start right now. Who's with me!?

-silence-
Oh thank god that was a joke. I was about to tell you how useless internet petitions are, probably with a sarcastic spin, but then you beat me to it. Well played, sir. Well played.

Kekkles

Feb 19, 2010
That's pretty saddening... I don't personally own any copies of Half-Life or it's successor any more so I couldn't participate even if I wanted to.

In my personal opinion, however, I believe this stunt only really poked the blind beast(figure of speech) and made no real impact onto their already dashed promises. I would like to see a new Half-Life just for a change in the forever dulling FPS genre but fear I never will... alas, at least I played Portal 2!

remnant_phoenix

Apr 4, 2011
Arkitext said:
Look, I happily waited for Skyrim after Oblivion, I fully agree that with major sequels to the worlds greatest games, "they'll be done when they're done", and I can wait forever for Half-Life 3, don't really care about it, it's not on my radar. What I'm talking about is Episodic Content that was promised us.

I'd be more happy with an official "stfu it's never coming, wait for HL3" than just never knowing.
That's where I'm at. I'd like to know if we should expect Half-Life 2: Episode 3 or just Half-Life 3. At the very least, this would give one less thing for fans to argue about.

Fan #1: Man, when is Half-Life 3 coming out?

Fan #2: You mean "Episode 3," right? Half-Life 2: Episode 3. Valve said that the three episodes make up Half-Life 3. There is no official "Half-Life 3."

Fan #1: But they also later admitted that the episodic model was a flop, and after all this time waiting, surely they'll make a full-size game rather than a shorter episode?

(and the cycle of speculation continues...)

1nfinite_Cros5

Mar 31, 2010
I played through the entire game in one sitting. I even managed to get all the achievements that I haven't gotten yet. I was that determined to be part of the group.

Stryc9

Elite Member
Nov 12, 2008
I joined the group and played the game for four of five hours straight until I had to stop to go do other things. Seeing as this is really my first playthrough of the game I got through the last half of Highway 17 and all of Nova Prospekt in one sitting collecting several achievements along the way.

My personal favorite being Warden Freeman because I found best way to deal with it was to carry one of the turrets around and use it to kill enemies for me where it couldn't get knocked over. I felt all kinds of clever for coming up with that idea on my own.

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
I participated and I'm very disappointed. The bare minimum people could have done is to launch the game and minimize it for half an hour and they didn't even do that.
I played for 2.5 hours before moving on to do other things. I enjoyed myself.