BTJunkie "Voluntarily" Shuts Down

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
BTJunkie "Voluntarily" Shuts Down

BitTorrent search engine BTJunkie has "voluntarily" shut itself down in order to avoid potential legal action by U.S. authorities.

The U.S. government dropped the hammer [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/115362-UPDATE-Feds-Take-Down-Megaupload] on file sharing site Megaupload last month, forcing the site offline amidst accusations of various sorts of copyright violations that added up to more than $500 million in lost revenues for someone. Among the charges facing employees of the site are "racketeering conspiracy, conspiracy to commit copyright infringement, conspiring to commit money laundering and two substantive counts of criminal copyright infringement."

That's some pretty serious stuff, and although none of the charges have been proven in a court of law, the mere threat of a heavy-handed application of "justice" - Megaupload founder Kim Dotcom is currently languishing in prison awaiting extradition to the United States, having been denied bail by a New Zealand judge - was enough to convince the founder of BTJunkie to get ahead of the curve by getting out of the game.

"This is the end of the line my friends. The decision does not come easy, but we've decided to voluntarily shut down," says a farewell message [http://btjunkie.org/goodbye.html] on the site. "We've been fighting for years for your right to communicate, but it's time to move on. It's been an experience of a lifetime, we wish you all the best!"

The site has never faced direct legal action but was reported to the U.S. Trade Representative last year and both the RIAA and the MPAA listed it as a "rogue" site responsible for mass copyright violations. Google also censors "btjunkie" as a search term because of its deep connections to piracy.

Despite the closure, the founder of BTJunkie told TorrentFreak [http://torrentfreak.com/btjunkie-shuts-down-for-good-120206/] that he hoped other torrent sites would be able to carry on, saying, "The war is far from over."

Feb 13, 2008
Andy Chalk said:
Google also censors "btjunkie" as a search term because of its deep connections to piracy.
*scratches head* I could always get about 2,650,000 results - the top ten leading directly to the site?

ph0b0s123

Jul 7, 2010
So it's time for people who run these types of sites to put their money where their mouth is. Are they freedom fighters trying free information for the masses, or are they criminals making money from others work. History teaches us that real freedom fighters and revolutionaries who want to change things, don't give up the fight just due to the treat of arrest or some prison time. Just saying.....

CrazyBlaze

Jul 12, 2011
The Gentleman said:
For those of us not in the know and don't torrent, what is BTJunkie?
Same thing as The Pirate Bay. A torrent, someone correct me if I'm wrong, is a file upload by one person. Another person downloads that file allows them to be a seeder. As more people download the download from multiple seeders at a time allowing for faster downloads. People downloading the file I believe are called lechers and end up slowing down the download. However the lechers become seeders when they finish the download. Seeders also don't have to keep seeding. They can seed for how long they want and they cancel their seeding so no one downloads the file from them.

Seraj

Nov 27, 2010
ph0b0s123 said:
So it's time for people who run these types of sites to put their money where their mouth is. Are they freedom fighters trying free information for the masses, or are they criminals making money from others work. History teaches us that real freedom fighters and revolutionaries who want to change things, don't give up the fight just due to the treat of arrest or some prison time. Just saying.....
No, thats a little harsh, those "freedom fighters" who give up the fight have a name; Cowards.

And history is very good at making those disappear ;)

mdqp

Oct 21, 2011
ph0b0s123 said:
I hardly think they were/are heroes, even if that doesn't mean they didn't believe what they do is right, and that freedom over the internet isn't important. It doesn't matter, because they showed that they can take down a site, so resisting doesn't change the fact that you are going to be put out of business (and in jail, if they want to). What would be the point to keep the site open if you fear that? I think that accusing a hosting site of copyright infringement is ridiculous, but they did it, so it means that the current legislation should be changed to NOT allow this. It didn't happen with a new law, it happened under the current ones, so they can't do anything to stop that, and I can understand people that would decide to back off.

KiKiweaky

Aug 29, 2008
ph0b0s123 said:
So it's time for people who run these pirate sites to put their money where there mouth is. Are they freedom fighters trying free information for the masses, or are they criminals making money from others work. History teaches us that real freedom fighters and revolutionaries who want to change things, don't give up the fight just due to the treat of arrest or some prison time. Just saying.....
500 million is small change in financial terms these days what about the guys who are responsible for racking up billions in public debt? Why cant the government crack some of their skulls?

The Gentleman said:
For those of us not in the know and don't torrent, what is BTJunkie?
Just another torrent search engine.

XMark

Jan 25, 2010
I guess the MegaUpload takedown had the intended effect - scare other sites of debatable legal status into voluntarily shutting down.

ph0b0s123

Jul 7, 2010
mdqp said:
ph0b0s123 said:
I hardly think they were/are heroes, even if that doesn't mean they didn't believe what they do is right, and that freedom over the internet isn't important. It doesn't matter, because they showed that they can take down a site, so resisting doesn't change the fact that you are going to be put out of business (and in jail, if they want to). What would be the point to keep the site open if you fear that? I think that accusing a hosting site of copyright infringement is ridiculous, but they did it, so it means that the current legislation should be changed to NOT allow this. It didn't happen with a new law, it happened under the current ones, so they can't do anything to stop that, and I can understand people that would decide to back off.
Again freedom fighters, which is the rhetoric you get from these sites, even in the goodbye message above, have historically kept going even if the law was against them. If 'freedom fighters' backed off just because the laws was against them then the US would site be a British colony and Nelson Mandela would have never been in prison.

My comment is really just picking a bit at the dumb rhetoric these sites use. As we have seen they have been folding when the going gets a bit tough.

mdqp

Oct 21, 2011
Well, whoever says of himself that he was a freedom fighter because of keeping a hosting site, is obviously delusional or a liar. But I seriously think that this isn't really a good thing... For one thing, I actually kept a few files on Megaupload, for personal use, and now I can't access them anymore (they were backups, but still...). Also, there are many things that aren't available all over the world, and this is undermining severely the possibility to share knowledge otherwise impossible to get in several countries.

Awexsome

Were it so easy
Mar 25, 2009
Deep down they know they're in the wrong, both morally and, if it came down to it, legally. Which is why they bugged out. Maybe they even have stuff going on behind the scenes like Megaupload did that they're worried about the government finding out about.

It's up to the internet to firmly stake out the differences between a site like Youtube or Twitter and it's objectives and something like Megaupload or BTJunkie or Pirate Bay and their objectives.

Otherwise if we continue to defend the sites who want to encourage piracy it'll only encourage the higher ups that the internet really is the criminal, unlawful haven that corporations tried throwing millions of dollars at to make them believe.

antipunt

Jan 3, 2009
I'm all for going against the greedy copyright-buttholes, but anyone who doesn't see this as 'aite cool guys. Uhh...we're gonna take whatever money we got and run. Thx, cya!!' is deluding themselves >_>

PS: to all the 'freedom fighters' out there, here's a word that's going to scare you. Precedent D:

Feb 13, 2008
Awexsome said:
Otherwise if we continue to defend the sites who want to encourage piracy it'll only encourage the higher ups that the internet really is the criminal, unlawful haven that corporations tried throwing millions of dollars at to make them believe.
And if we leave them to die then the corporations can make sure that the internet is a safe haven for them to make money off exactly the same things we're doing at the moment.

Just as they've done with public music broadcasting.

$5000 to have someone sing you "Happy Birthday" in a film you know? Payable direct to Time Warner.

Have a nice day, Citizen.

Awexsome

Were it so easy
Mar 25, 2009
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Awexsome said:
And if we leave them to die then the corporations can make sure that the internet is a safe haven for them to make money off exactly the same things we're doing at the moment.

Just as they've done with public music broadcasting.

$5000 to have someone sing you "Happy Birthday" in a film you know? Payable direct to Time Warner.

Have a nice day, Citizen.
What part of "differences between a site like Youtube or Twitter and it's objectives and something like Megaupload or BTJunkie or Pirate Bay and their objectives." didn't you get?

SOPA got turned down if you recall. There is a middle ground between pirates getting all they want and corporations getting all they want. Letting sites like this stay up would be leaning towards the former.

Feb 13, 2008
Awexsome said:
What part of "differences between a site like Youtube or Twitter and it's objectives and something like Megaupload or BTJunkie or Pirate Bay and their objectives." didn't you get?
The part where you condemn torrent sites because they "encourage piracy" but champion YouTube/Twitter despite hashtags like #HowToPleaseABrownParent and rampant piracy on YouTube.

SOPA got turned down if you recall.
And ACTA got through. Not to mention Megaupload and Virgin's music service being shut down. And Pandora being pushed to one side. And Spotify selling playlists. And Apple claiming patents on P2P music.
There is a middle ground between pirates getting all they want and corporations getting all they want. Letting sites like this stay up would be leaning towards the former.
How about the consumers? Do they get what they want? Or is this purely between the EVIL EVIL PIRATES and the EVIL EVIL CORPORATIONS?

Or do we have to blindly accept that either artists have no money, or artists have some money after it's been taxed to the hilt?

But I'm guessing you've done some research on this: What exactly are YouTube and BTJunkie's differing objectives, and what part do you specifically criticize?

Apr 28, 2008
I wonder what the media companies profits are like right now.

Surely with all these torrenting sites going down, they're skyrocketing, no?

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Irridium said:
I wonder what the media companies profits are like right now.

Surely with all these torrenting sites going down, they're skyrocketing, no?
Haha. You have the best sense of humor, I LOVE IT!

I'm with you, they have to be rolling the dough now that all these sites that are responsible for their lost profits are going down. I can't wait to see how this saves the videogame industry.

Though, I have to say, I would gladly punch those guys at...TorrentFreak, I think... for reporting the those numbers every year like they do. They only reinforce the idea that companies have lost all these sales via piracy.

ThatLankyBastard

Aug 18, 2010
I saw this last night...

...I cried a little

At least they went peacefully of their own design, and they didn't give the blasted government the satisfaction of shutting them down... bastards...