Arkham City Dev Defends UK Studios

Marshall Honorof

Feb 16, 2011
Arkham City Dev Defends UK Studios

A Rocksteady Studios director believes that the UK could be a major player in game development, as soon as it can stand toe-to-toe with Canada.

Rocksteady Studios has games [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/6467-Review-Batman-Arkham-Asylum] under its belt that essentially made the character a viable videogame protagonist for the first time in years. While Rocksteady racks up accolades and cash, it's easy to forget that its great success is hardly indicative of the rest of the UK's game development scene. The last few years have forced some prominent UK studios to shut down, and the siren song of North American development has lured away much British-born talent. Arkham City's director believes that the UK can keep its developers from straying too far from their green and pleasant land, but not without offering comparable economic incentives to those in North America, and Montreal in particular.

"A lot of my friends have moved abroad to get work; there's a real talent drain," says director Sefton Hill. According to Hill, the way to stay competitive in the global market is to encourage the government to support game studios. "Montreal is a central place for development and it's mainly because the tax breaks they give are so phenomenal." Hill reflects on studios like Bizarre Creations and Black Rock, which went out of business last year in spite of developing creative, fairly successful games. "Those guys were so talented so how can that happen? ... It's such a big industry now and we could be world leaders."

Hill also discusses the UK's contributions to home computing, and how it is very much a country of passionate gamers. "The only reason I got into the industry is because I love games, not for any other reason," he explains. "Moreover, I'm probably not qualified for any other job." Given that many British developers find themselves in North American studios and Montreal hosts a sizeable game development scene, Hill has some suggestive evidence on his side. Of course, tax breaks in and of themselves cannot promise anything; money and talent alone do not guarantee a good game, and a good game does not guarantee a profit. On the other hand, more games developed in the UK could mean more voiceovers with charming British accents, and that's a win for everyone.

Source: CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/335174/interviews/the-ending-was-almost-taboo-rocksteady-looks-back-on-arkham-city/?page=3]

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
The annoying thing is, he's right as well. The UK could do well if only it had the tax breaks that basically all of the other countries have. The exceedingly annoying thing for me personally is that Dundee, my hometown, is one of the better cities in the UK (as far as I'm aware anyway) for games development, but it has the possibility to be much better

Robert Ewing

Mar 2, 2011
The UK would be a hotbed of gaming industry steroid pumping.

But sadly... it seems to be the case that in every instance it becomes a no go. The culture isn't right for it, the government doesn't really approve of it, and there is absolutely no training to become a game designer other than third party courses that are being run into the ground anyway.

It's such a shame, most games released by UK companies have been really good. Nothing exceedingly excellent yet, but at least it's consistent.

But it's one of those cases that the very second a big enough spark is lit, the entire country will go mad for it. Gaming will be pushed into the forefront of the media industry and recognized as a powerful economic tool. But as I said, at the moment, everyone see's gaming as well... A game...

TrevHead

Apr 10, 2011
The UK games industry is just the same as other uk industries (outside banking and retail), ie its unsupported by the government so all its best talent and brands get bought out by foreign companies and moved abroad

EvilPicnic

Sep 9, 2009
In my eyes Osborne's decision to torpedo the previous government's plans for UK game dev tax incentives ranks among his worst mistakes. Which is saying a lot.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
endtherapture said:
DVS BSTrD said:
Seriously, Taxes are why WE left the British. It's been 200+ years and you're STILL pulling this shit?
At least we have a (public) health service though.
Canada has a great public health service AND low taxes without being crippled with out of control debt.

USA also has good-enough health service for emigrating computer talent.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
We have very simple political discourse, it cannot get deeper than the sound bite. And the loudest sound bite is "Everyone must pay their taxes equally!"

And by "equally" I mean an actual HIGHER % of tax for higher earners, the practice seems to be everyone should pay the absolute maximum amount of tax they can possibly bear.

Ultimately the goal is not about improving UK as a whole through egalitarianism but by being "fair" even if it means we are all equally in the shit.

Interestingly "The City" (i.e. London financial firms) DO get significant tax breaks and it is seen how this really boosts that industry and London is one of rather few regions in the UK that are Tax positive. That is it contributes more taxes to the government that it takes in government funding. The other place is North Sea oil fields what will with declining returns not go for much longer. We are weighed down by decades of polemic such as the lingering result of seriously downsized industries (coal) and trade unions reducing flexibility who just want to enforce the status quo.

endtherapture

Nov 14, 2011
Treblaine said:
We have very simple political discourse, it cannot get deeper than the sound bite. And the loudest sound bite is "Everyone must pay their taxes equally!"

And by "equally" I mean an actual HIGHER % of tax for higher earners, the practice seems to be everyone should pay the absolute maximum amount of tax they can possibly bear.

Ultimately the goal is not about improving UK as a whole through egalitarianism but by being "fair" even if it means we are all equally in the shit.

Interestingly "The City" (i.e. London financial firms) DO get significant tax breaks and it is seen how this really boosts that industry and London is one of rather few regions in the UK that are Tax positive. That is it contributes more taxes to the government that it takes in government funding. The other place is North Sea oil fields what will with declining returns not go for much longer. We are weighed down by decades of polemic such as the lingering result of seriously downsized industries (coal) and trade unions reducing flexibility who just want to enforce the status quo.
The UK just needs a really significant shake up, I think we need to scratch everything and start from scrap. The state should provide public transport, benefits for those who REALLY need it, and medical care, police and courts(prisons can be private). The UK is far too bogged down in bureaucracy. We need a massive overhaul I think because at the moment we're running a giant deficit, high taxes and getting nothing good in return apart from more pain and misery.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
endtherapture said:
Treblaine said:

The UK just needs a really significant shake up, I think we need to scratch everything and start from scrap. The state should provide public transport, benefits for those who REALLY need it, and medical care, police and courts(prisons can be private). The UK is far too bogged down in bureaucracy. We need a massive overhaul I think because at the moment we're running a giant deficit, high taxes and getting nothing good in return apart from more pain and misery.
Well I don't know about that, I think before even all that the government could recognise that what they do for "The City" can be applied to other industries in the UK. Revolution can take longer to implement than evolution, don't underestimate the power of evolution... setting the course for slow and steady change.

I'd like Government to try applying in more places lower taxation and see where it both increases Tax-revenue and increases economic output. The principal of The City's low taxes is not some special model that can only work for the City.

The thing is across the industry there evidence that high taxes in the video game industry are not good, especially for the video game industry considering a company can go a whole year with no income then a year or two with huge income the next year that can graduate into higher tax-rates than if it had been steadily earned over 2 years.

Kinguendo

Apr 10, 2009
DVS BSTrD said:
Seriously, Taxes are why WE left the British. It's been 200+ years and you're STILL pulling this shit?
Nope, its because we realised "Oh, there is no such thing as witches... we should probably stop these religious nutjobs from killed women, eh?", then you ran away and created a country for "Religious Freedom" and as such proceeded to kill more "Witches". You rebelled againt Britain because you were treated like every other Colony under Britains control (AKA poorly), and even after that you didnt learn your lesson and went on to treat other people even worse than Britain did you. Poor show old boy, poor show.

Dont pretend you left Britain just for selfish monetary gain, it was so you could murder innocent women and hang black people.

On-Topic: Taxes are a necessary inconvenience, but to fan the flames of innovation you have to offer tax breaks... but not tax breaks across the board, as people like the banking sector dont innovate. Actual innovation like science and technology, not "How can we steal their money without them realising?" "business'".

Kinguendo

Apr 10, 2009
Secret world leader (shhh) said:
And this, ladies and gentlemen, is why you don't elect supernanny into office.
But we didnt, we elected Super-fuck-poor-people into office. As a result they are screwing everything we love, like and even the things we think are "Meh, okay I guess.".

The Conservative party are proving once and for all that they are the party of "Huh? What? Speak into my hearing aid, I cant hear you otherwise. Whats that? Gammon? Yes please... wait, Gaying?! No, the gays shouldnt get tax breaks. Scrap that plan. What? Gaming? I dont care what games the gays play, its not good clean fun like the ball and cup or the pennyfarthing and other really old things. Did I mention my Family is upper-class and that means we are better than you despite the fact that I would be crapping in my pants without your help?"... their ideals are outdated. Subtle, eh?

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
Well, look at Peter Molyneux and Steve Jackson and Richard Garriot (born in England) and the like. They're British developers, and they are among those who have helped shape the modern gaming industry, and yet where do they work now? They work for foreign companies, or companies that have managed to survive in the current UK gaming industry because they were already big to begin with. The UK was at the forefront of the gaming industry through the 80s and early 90s, and then it declined. We have good developers and we have people, myself included, itching to enter the industry to build a career. The thing that's standing in the way is the lack of tax incentives. Right now, there is absolutely no incentive for developers to build themselves up or locate in the UK, because we aren't giving those companies the reasons to want to come here. And yet this is the perfect time to start doing that. The UK economy needs businesses to come here if we want to start growing again, and we have a plethora of entertainment industries (film, gaming, music, and more besides) that are willing to come here and grow. They just need the incentive to do so.

Then again, as long as the EU are banning tax breaks for member states that aren't France, we have no hope. And until those incentives happen, the UK will continue to be held under Canada and other countries in the industry. Maybe we will return to our former leading glory in the future, but I can't see it happening anytime soon. And as a British gamer, and as an aspiring game writer and level designer, I can only see that as a shame.

weker

May 27, 2009
I still think we can, bu sadly the conservatives went back on their word of supporting a gaming tax, and went against all the information that Tiga gave them. Currently the only hope I see is going for the Liberals but them being the less voted for of the three, not to mention them getting a bad name after being the underlings of the Cameron I don't set their chances high.

NinthPlanet86

Feb 10, 2012
I would like to suggest an alternative, but unpopular, viewpoint if I may. The issue with tax breaks is that once one country offers them, other countries are encouraged, via press such as this, to do the same to avoid the industry re-locating into the country that does offer the tax break.

Ultimately this approach leads to countries being held to ransom by the games industry over jobs. The only winners in such a situation are not the country, nor the staff of the game developers, but those in who own the companies that publish the video games.

Therefore I think that tax breaks, as a method, should be outlawed internationally to provide a more level playing field without being held to ransom by industry lobbyists and public relations departments.