David Jaffe Compares His Twisted Metal to Skyrim

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
David Jaffe Compares His Twisted Metal to Skyrim

The systems of both games have a lot more in common than you might think.

At first glance, the vehicle combat simulation of Twisted Metal has very little to do with the open-world RPG of Skyrim. But that doesn't mean Jaffe can't take what he learned from playing Skyrim and apply it to his car game, or at least show how the two games dole out content that's inherently to the medium of games, as opposed to a cinematic delivery like cutscenes and dialogue. The two titles may be worlds apart, but Jaffe wants players to think about the mechanics of Twisted Metal with as much immersion as Skyrim.

"In [Skyrim], your brain is engaged in so much stuff that still speaks to what we're talking about, which is the language of interactivity," said Jaffe. "Walking through the forest, going 'I need to get this shit back to the armorer, so I can sell it, so I can make money, so I can go on this side quest I've been trying to earn enough shit to go on successfully, but I can't go much faster because if I pick up another item, I'm going to be going really slow, and I'm going to get my ass killed going through this forest, getting back to town. How do I deal with that?'"

Jaffe explains the connection that level of immersion has with his game. "Your brain is engaged, and it's a wonderful engagement. It is not that different than the brain in Twisted Metal going, 'Okay, I need to kill these three guys in [the game mode] Last Man Standing. I'm going to plan a remote bomb,'" he said before describing a battle scene in his game.

"The player is being communicated to through the language of interactivity versus going, 'Let me show you the movie I want to make.' I think that's great," he said. "But there's a purer way to those pleasure centers of the brain to really speak to the player and make them love games, and it's about choices."

The God of War-creator has been in the business a while, but he is not afraid of refining and learning from his work. "Every year I do this, Sid Meier's quote of 'A game as a series of interesting choices' becomes more and more of a mantra to me," he said, referring to a concept mentioned at Meier's GDC Keynote Speech from 2010 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/99093-Liveblog-Sid-Meiers-GDC-2010-Keynote-Speech]. "[Twisted Metal] really reflects the best we've been able to do once we understood that that's what really a game is, to engage the brain more than anything else. That's what we're trying to do."

While I don't think I'll have the same engagement with Twisted Metal that I do with Skyrim, I'm certainly willing to take the journey with Jaffe's exploding cars.

Source: Gamasutra [http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/6704/david_jaffe_and_the_language_of_.php?page=1]

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
Sounds like cheap and shameful self-promotion...Also, there's no need to swear, we're adults not children ffs.

Micalas

Mar 5, 2011
mad825 said:
Also, there's no need to swear, we're adults not children ffs.
That's probably why he swore. We're adults. One of the joys of being an adult.

Besides it's a game about strapping projectile weapons to your vehicle so you can commit mass vehicular homicide for the purpose of getting a wish from a wish-twisting douchebag. Which part of this cultural experience were you expecting to instill a bit of class?

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
Micalas said:
mad825 said:
Also, there's no need to swear, we're adults not children ffs.
That's probably why he swore. We're adults. One of the joys of being an adult.
Ha, doubt it, the common chav talks like him.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
I like the comparison he's making, but I can't take him completely seriously saying "Let me show you the movie I want to make." and doing emphasis in interactivity, but coming from the guy that made God of War and it's thousands of quick time events, I think he's contradicting himself a bit.

I'll probably be quoted for this moronic and shallow statement, but that's my point of view.

antipunt

Jan 3, 2009
DVS BSTrD said:
Now I'm wishing Skyrim had a split screen dual-mode to play with my girlfriend.
Also wishing that I had a girlfriend.
SingleAwarenessDay tomorrow D:

*cries in a corner*

Aprilgold

Apr 1, 2011
GonzoGamer said:
No.
I think Twisted Metal will probably work on the PS3.
And will have less then 9000 game breaking glitches on it on launch.

Seriously, do we have to compare every game to Skyrim now? And people wonder why I hate the Elder Scrolls fanbase.

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
Seems like a bit of a stretch. He just wanted to get his game in the news in the same sentence as Skyrim.

AxelxGabriel

Nov 13, 2009
No nonononononononono

No.

No.

You do not compare Twisted Metal to Skyrim. You do not compare some car combat game to one of the best Western RPGs of all time.

DeMorquist

Dec 15, 2011
This guy is perhaps...mentally damaged? He seems to be popping out of the woodwork so often...maybe he is nuts...or a crippling fear that the newest Twisted Metal wont be as good as the old preBlack ones?

Faerillis

Oct 29, 2009
David Jaffe is as ineloquent and vapid as usual. I remember watching him, Todd Howard and one other big name game designer in a video and just watching him uselessly flap his gums and so much useless crap that the others easily dismissed as vain, and he kept going. Twisted Metal has been a lot of fun for me and I can remember playing it every chance I got at one point, but I have 0 respect for Jaffe; he's a prat and should not be allowed to talk to the press.

Triality

May 9, 2011
Oh shit, I think I've stumbled upon a new industry phrase for this idiot: Jaffe Gaffe

But seriously this is the dumbest self-promotion I've read since Warren Specter tried to promote Epic Mickey by comparing it to Deus Ex.

Desperation on parade. It's only fitting Jaffe's mascot is an insane testosterone-addled violence clown.

Anodos

Jul 23, 2011
Did anyone read the article? I love it. Its what i think about when wanting to design a game. You have to constantly be thinking, be part of the world, and it immerses you in it.