Civilization V Getting Gods & Kings Expansion Soon

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Civilization V Getting Gods & Kings Expansion Soon

Religion and espionage return this spring to the venerable strategy series.

As I mentioned in The Escapist Podcast a few weeks ago, I've been playing Civ V again. Nothing beats Civ for pure time-suckage gameplay [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/8126-Review-Civilization-V] and the fifth iteration of Sid Meier's design is a no different. The DLC for Civ V has so far been mini expansions adding a new civ or two and some scenarios, but I'm not sure if that business model worked as planned. To eke out some more revenue from a 2 year old title and deliver some mechanics old-school Civ fans missed, 2K Games and Firaxis announced today they are bringing a much more substantial expansion pack to Civ V called Gods & Kings. Religion from Civ IV returns, as does espionage, and the expansion also promises tweaks to naval combat, enemy AI, and of course new civs, scenarios, wonders and units. 2K Games said the expansion will be available in "late spring" but no word on pricing.

[gallery=646]

"Our team has a strong vision for bringing religion and espionage to Civilization V and the incomparable Civ community has expressed their enthusiasm for these features as well," said Sid Meier, designer of the first Civ and creative head of Firaxis. "We're excited to deliver this robust expansion pack that will give players countless hours of new gameplay experiences and more reasons to take just one more turn."

The lead designer of Civ V was a young buck from the modding community named Jon Shafer. He made a lot of bold choices in the design - no-stacking units, hexagon tiles - that many longtime fans resisted but ultimately made for a fresh new game. Shafer was happy with Civ V, but he felt a lead a team at rival PC strategy house Stardock [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/106343-Lead-Designer-of-Civilization-V-Calls-It-Quits]. The Gods & Kings expansion seems like it adds back in some of the "sacred cows" that Shafer might have wanted to keep out of the vanilla game and honestly, I think an expansion like this is the perfect way to address the omission of religion and spying.

Here's the full list of changes and features in the Gods & Kings expansion. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't excited about each one of them and look forward to losing days of my life to Civ V again.

Expanded Epic Game: The core game experience has been greatly expanded with the addition of new technologies, 27 new units, 13 new buildings and nine new Wonders.

New Civilizations and Leaders: The expansion features nine new civilizations including Carthage, the Netherlands, the Celts and the Mayans, each with unique traits, units and buildings. Gods & Kings also adds nine new leaders including William I, Prince of Orange, Boudicca and Pacal the Great.

New Game Scenarios: Three new scenarios let gamers experience the medieval period, the fall of Rome, and embark on a new adventure in Empires of the Smoky Skies, a Victorian science-fiction scenario.

The Return of Religion: A first for Civilization V, players seek out Faith, choosing a Pantheon of the Gods and creating Great Prophets to found and spread their customized religion across the world.

World Domination: The fight for world domination is more dynamic than ever. Gods & Kings features a reworked combat system and AI that places more emphasis on a balanced army composition. Additionally, the navy is now split into two different ship types, melee and ranged, making coastal cities vulnerable to a surprise naval attack.

Enhanced Diplomacy and Espionage: Establish embassies at foreign courts for closer ties or clandestine operations. As the religions of the world start settling in and the world moves into the Renaissance, spies can be unlocked to establish surveillance of foreign cities, steal advanced technologies from your strongest competitors, or garner influence with City-States through election rigging, or even a coup.

City-States: Two new city-state types have been added, Mercantile and Religious, adding new gameplay to a greatly expanded quest system to further the narrative of the game and making diplomatic victories more challenging.

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
Well there goes my free time over the spring :D

They had me at reglion & espionage. But more scenaios, civs, units and improvements to ai armies is a great bonus on top. Nice to see Fraxis has seen that mini dlc purchases don't really work for a game like Civ and gone back to making proper expansions.

Apr 28, 2008
The only real changes to diplomacy seem to be the whole embassy thing.

Seems they're doing quite a bit, but very little to fix what the weakest feature in Civ 5 is. The whole diplomacy system.

redisforever

Oct 5, 2009
Prince of Orange you say? I seem to remember he owned a pug, and it saved his life at one point. I have a pug. I think, based on this, I'll love this expansion.

(Alright, not just the pug, also the religion. Multiplayer is so much fun when you can convert your enemies to your religion after kicking their asses) (But mainly pugs)

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
The Artificially Prolonged said:
Well there goes my free time over the spring :D

They had me at reglion & espionage. But more scenaios, civs, units and improvements to ai armies is a great bonus on top. Nice to see Fraxis has seen that mini dlc purchases don't really work for a game like Civ and gone back to making proper expansions.
I can finally go back to slaughtering nations in the name of god again :D.

It's a guilty pleasure. But at least I'm only killing fake people.

As for their mini dlc, I only bought it when Steam had the entire bundle on sale for 75% off this winter.

Irridium said:
The only real changes to diplomacy seem to be the whole embassy thing.

Seems they're doing quite a bit, but very little to fix what the weakest feature in Civ 5 is. The whole diplomacy system.
Diplomacy in Civ 5: Sign Treaty with Gandhi, Be Betrayed by Gandhi.

At least that's my experience. You can trust Khan etc...even Napoleon...but Gandhi will have you in chains by centuries end.

BENZOOKA

This is the most wittiest title
Oct 26, 2009
Read about it on Facebook just a while ago and that is awesome news. I can't wait! Will preorder.

Both Warlords, and especially Beyond The Sword improved Civ IV more than many other games' sequels do.

They've already done great job at Firaxis by patching a lot, but anywho these are the best news in regards to gaming this year so far.

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
Still no Australia.

I know we're not exactly the most interesting country, but come on; we have a whole continent to ourselves. They can't just ignore us completely, can they?

Ramith

Nov 7, 2011
Nothing better than getting a game with less features then its previous title.

Then buying the expansion to get those features.

Maybe for the next expansion I can get random events back, and a UN that acutally votes.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Finally a reason to go back to play Civ 5! :D

The_root_of_all_evil said:
Here's one thing I wish you'd add:

The ability to skip the loading screen. SERIOUSLY.
Oh... yeah... I remember why I stopped playing...

Nalgas D. Lemur

Nov 20, 2009
BENZOOKA said:
Both Warlords, and especially Beyond The Sword improved Civ IV more than many other games' sequels do.
BTS was amazing, and in my opinion I don't think they'll be able to surpass it even with the upcoming Civ V expansion from the sounds of things (and considering how many things are still wrong with the game, not as good as they used to be, or just plain missing entirely). The combat in Civ V is vastly improved from the earlier games and took a lot less time to get used to than I thought it would, but I still prefer how most other things were handled as of BTS. This sounds like a step in the right direction at least.

BENZOOKA

This is the most wittiest title
Oct 26, 2009
Nalgas D. Lemur said:
BENZOOKA said:
BTS was amazing, and in my opinion I don't think they'll be able to surpass it even with the upcoming Civ V expansion from the sounds of things (and considering how many things are still wrong with the game, not as good as they used to be, or just plain missing entirely). The combat in Civ V is vastly improved from the earlier games and took a lot less time to get used to than I thought it would, but I still prefer how most other things were handled as of BTS. This sounds like a step in the right direction at least.
It can't improve Civ V as much as Civ IV was improved by BtS, but Civ V is a superior game to begin with, in my opinion. The combat is indeed massively improved, and everything that the hexagons have brought.

The few problems I have, or have had, with the game, are the seemingly too minor differences between civilizations (as appropriately historically relevant they might be). The diplomacy (which was fixed a lot with the patch that added the data element: '+1 we seek friendly relations with your civ' and so on (which I greatly missed from BtS)). Generic and samey seeming city states that you need to throw coins at every now and dismiss their constant notifications. And at first, the profitability and usage of roads. As well as the help-section, which never really goes enough into the specifics I'm seeking, instead of just stating general things. The advisors could feel more interactive. All I've ever practically used at them is for the military advisor to tell the estimate of army sizes between my and other civs.

But these additions and changes sound great and only playing the expansion pack will show it's true colors, because even the slightest changes tend to change the game, as the balancing act between military, money, science, culture, happiness, diplomacy, and so on... can be quite tender, when Civ V is at it's finest.

The religion setup promises to be a lot better. In Civ IV, for me, it was mostly jumping to one that was most popular amongst other civs, or otherwise the one that offered the best diplomatic perks.

Gabanuka

Oct 1, 2009
The religion system looks much better then the one in Civ4. I know they were trying to avoid offending anyone but screw it, I want the world to believe what MY civilisation believes! Soon the world will bow at the might of Christomuslimgreekpantheonwithabitofnorsethrownintheredom!

And new Civs and Units are always good.

ComNetCom

Feb 4, 2011
I'd rather have fixes to stability in multiplayer. I've only been able to finish 1 game out of 6 games I played. The other 5 keep crashing if you get to any sort of late-game. (The 1 game that did finish was finished before renaissance). I'll probably hold off until I see it getting improved.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009

You can delete somewhere in the config files, so you'll just get a black screen until it loads. WHY it needs that long to load the fucking menu, I have no idea.

A Satanic Panda

Nov 5, 2009
Wait the AIs army will be... BALANCED!?

Notice the lack of any good front line units. Oh and how many there are.

First post took the words right out of my mouth.

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
I hope the AI change comes in a patch and not just the expansion. If it's a "oh yeah, we built shitty AI, but you can pay us to get it improved", I'm not buying it on principle.

SupahGamuh said:

Oh... yeah... I remember why I stopped playing...
Fucking seconded. Waiting 15-20 minutes for a game to load is just preposterous.

theultimateend said:
I can finally go back to slaughtering nations in the name of god again :D.
Playing Ghandi and doing it in the name of peace is so much more delicious :p

SlaveNumber23

A WordlessThing, a ThinglessWord
Aug 9, 2011
Andronicus said:
Still no Australia.

I know we're not exactly the most interesting country, but come on; we have a whole continent to ourselves. They can't just ignore us completely, can they?

Let them ignore us completely while we become more powerful than they could ever imagine and then destroy them all when they least expect it! >:D

Back on track: Damn I need to buy this game, wait for steam sale or buy it now?