The Walking Dead Crashes Lifeless Romantic Comedy Movie

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
The Walking Dead Crashes Lifeless Romantic Comedy Movie

The Walking Dead got a marketing shot in the head arm, thanks to a brilliant marketing stunt that involved a zombie invasion of a fake movie trailer.

Here in North America (or at least in Sacramento), the marketing for The Walking Dead seems to be limited to TV commercials and posters. Admittedly, they're usually pretty good, but some marketing folks in South Africa managed to set the bar a whole lot higher. Not only did they craft a fake movie trailer for an audience to watch, but they then had a zombie crash it in the most unexpected of ways.

Here's the scenario: The theater audience is packed and gets treated to what looks like an insipid rom-com trailer about two attractive young people who live next door to one another. Now, these two can't stand one another until (wait for it) they realize there may be something more there and ... Forget it, the trailer's not worth any more of my words, but it definitely seems like a zombie attack would make this whole experience much more tolerable.

Now, suddenly, a zombie stumbles into the theater and startles the bejeebus out of everyone. Maybe he'll snack on one of those people who laughed at the "joke" about ten seconds earlier (which would serve them right). But then ... There's no zombie attack. And then something else unexpected happens (don't worry, I won't spoil it for you), that makes you love life just a little more. Needless to say, this is arguably one of the best things you'll watch today.

Attention marketing firms: The gauntlet has been thrown. I eagerly await similar campaigns on this side of the Pond.

Source: <a href=http://www.toplessrobot.com/2012/02/clever_marketing_schemes_of_the_living_dead.php>Topless Robot

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
I'm beginning to get tired of 'the prank' advertising campaigns. I guess they all just hit the same notes? Like when there are 10 flash mob adverts it begins to just make flash mobs seem like less fun.

Also I refuse to admit that was real laughter, it didn't sound it and to be honest, I defy anyone to not know that trailer was a fake. At best they showed something funnier and then cut the laughter reaction in.

And the zombie didn't do anything cool. No bursting out, just walking around look a little embarrassed. At least a lot of the people's 'oh gee' reactions made me think that maybe these were real people.

The ending however, was cool

The Random One

May 29, 2008
Ugh. Please do not encourage marketing people to market at me in any environment where a big grid labeled ADVERTISEMENT cannot be placed around their heads. They have not withdrawal.

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
Those people would be the first ones to die in the zombie apocalypse.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Hehe...Speaking of, why aren't theaters ever shown as having an undead problem? They seem like the perfect place to affect a lot of people. But well done. I almost feel sorry for the unsuspecting zombie.

Monkeyman O'Brien

Jan 27, 2012
That shit would never happen in Texas. The first person who saw him shamble in would shoot him in the head themselves.
But eh, kinda lame. Woulda been better if he had of mauled someone.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
That pretty clever marketing ad and I suppose it's good that the result is kind of tame.
Sure say all you want how we are not fully prepare for a zombie apocalypse but I rather not see the headline "Zombie prank goes horribly wrong. Film audience beat a man in zombie make up to death."

LorienvArden

Feb 28, 2011
Not terribly original inmo and kinda risky as well. Even if nobody carried a gun with them into the theater, what if somebody just kicked the crap out of the supposed zombie ?
All that for a weak and corny punchline ? No thank you.

Cid Silverwing

Paladin of The Light
Jul 27, 2008
I was expecting a zombie flashmob too.

Btw, zombies are stinking up the entertainment industry by now (no pun intended). Get something new already.

mattaui

Oct 16, 2008
That's actually a throwback to the sorts of things they used to pull a lot more frequently decades ago in the US (50s and 60s), especially for campy horror or sci-fi movies. Considering the entire zombie apocalypse plot is about as old and tired, I guess they might as well advertise in a similar fashion.

Domehammer

Jun 17, 2011
Could never do that in US. Someone gets shocked so bad they have a heart attack and die suing for millions. Tv show is taken off air permanently. Theater used gets closed down as they get sued as well. Though also actor could get killed or maimed by people who get startled and fight.

chiatt

Oct 10, 2009
BrotherRool said:
I'm beginning to get tired of 'the prank' advertising campaigns. I guess they all just hit the same notes? Like when there are 10 flash mob adverts it begins to just make flash mobs seem like less fun.
I wouldn't worry too much about being the target of this sort of thing. My money's on the audience itself being part of the "prank." Setting aside the liability issues that the marketers and the theater would face, there are some technical oddities with the video itself.

During the wide-angle shots where you see the trailer playing above the audience, notice that the audience doesn't move at all. It's a static image. Even when the crowd is supposedly clapping and cheering, whenever they use that shot of the movie screen, they merely layer it over the photo of the crowd. Also note that while the crowd is displayed in the green/white of a night vision camera, the trailer is in full colour.

Ugg... the internet has made me too cynical for my own good :(