101: Blowing Up Galaxies

Sabrehawk

Nov 12, 2002
FunkyJ said:
Damn, I'm sure I read an article where Hayden Blackman was defending himself against rabid gamers...

I'm interested because he's the producer of our game, and, well, if I say much more I could put my job at risk...

*sigh*
Dude ... Haden. HADEN. :eek:)

I think I remember the interview you're talking about, but I have no idea where it ran.

FatHed [deprecated]

Apr 26, 2007
Great article, although I disagree with WoW being ready at launch. Just a mere month before hand they were still changing core systems, plus they hadn't had a successful patch before launch. Then there was the massive mis-estimates in the popularity of the game, which caused, albeit short, delays before lots of people could even purchase a copy. It got lots right, but it's still not a perfect launch.

Linna

Jun 25, 2007
Syntheticist said:
I wrote about this more on my blog [http://syntheticist.vox.com], but it's pretty sad to see The Escapist stoop to such a piece of hyperbolic nonsense, without at least attempting to add something to the discourse.

This happened in late 2005, it's not noteworthy anymore, unless you are going to reveal a new detail or fact.
Not noteworthy anymore? I beg to differ. Wherever the 'old guard' of SWG meets, we reminisc about the 'good old days' of (mostly) pre-cu. The mere mention of the name 'Smedley' or 'Torres' can make gamers wish those people every conceivable evil. Many, many people I know (and I'm still in contact with hundreds of old Bloodfin players) go so far as to not only boycott SOE, but ALL Sony products. And none of us are shy in explaining to younger players why we hate SOE and all its works.

It's been said before, but SWG WAS more than a game to us.

Linna

grpatter

Aug 20, 2008
Players still implore SOE to roll back the game, pre-Combat Upgrade, on separate servers. But the old game's devs have left the company; maintaining two versions would be impractically costly; and, though SOE has divulged nothing, the license might forbid it. Fans have tried writing emulators like SWGEmu and New Hope, but divisive politics and the task's magnitude cripple them.
Emu and ANH are FAR from dead. Go check them out and see where all those players have gone.