Revolutionary Info Dump Officially Heralds Assassin's Creed III

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Revolutionary Info Dump Officially Heralds Assassin's Creed III

Get it? Because it's unlike anything we've seen from the series before and the new game is set during the American Revolution! It's a play on words!

Sigh. You don't get it.

Regardless, after a weekend full of details leaking out about the upcoming Assassin's Creed III, Ubisoft has decided to make it official with a full trailer and a smattering of new info on the game. That's the trailer at top-right.

As you might have noticed, that snow-bound, forested setting is neither Renaissance Italy, nor the antediluvian Middle East. Instead, this new game drops players into the middle of the American Revolution as a half-British/half-Native American assassin named "Ratohnhaké:ton."

Seriously. "Ratohnhaké:ton." Though he also goes by "Connor," presumably to avoid people continually asking how they're supposed to pronounce that mid-moniker colon.

Long-time series fans may also notice that unlike Altair and Ezio, Connor is able to scale trees. That's thanks to the brand new engine Ubisoft has created for ACIII. Dubbed "Ubisoft-AnvilNext," the company promises that it will make everything look better, while also greatly improving enemy artificial intelligence. Standard "we have a new engine" bluster really, but based on the trailer, ACIII does look a whole lot nicer than its predecessors.

As expected, Assassin's Creed III is scheduled for release on the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and PC on October 31 of this year, though in a break with tradition, Ubisoft is also working on an iteration of the game for a Nintendo console, specifically the upcoming Wii U.

Expect a steady stream of information on the game for the next 6 months.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Good god, can we at least wait a year before launching another game? This yearly installment crap is driving me nuts.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Don't really care all that much about the setting as far as the time period is concerned, but the gameplay looks like it could be nice and I love them setting at least part of the game in winter.

Apr 28, 2008
I wonder if this will also have tower defense. Or if they'll include some other silly mini-game.

Doc Theta Sigma said:
... Half British assassin that's attacking the British.

SEEMS LEGIT.
Keep in mind that it's a French company making this. Probably a wet dream of theirs or something.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Thank God that dude also goes by "Conner" since his other name is just ridiculous, a colon really?

Interesting to see how this story will turn out, and I kinda hope that this will be the end of the yearly AC release. I love the series, but I'm having a hard time missing it and thinking fondly of it if it keeps coming around every year.

pluizig

Jan 11, 2010
At least in the snow the white clown suit makes sense for somebody not trying to draw attention to himself.

Blunderboy

Apr 26, 2011
My inner history nerd rushes to point out that his clothes seem similar to the French Military uniforms of the time.

I just hope this doesn't become a case of only the British being the bad guys. Especially considering how many of the founding fathers were Freemasons.

VladG

Aug 24, 2010
I must say this has raised my interest level. The whole open forest thing looks interesting and should flow very naturally in the series evolution. Since I've played AssCreed1 and found it very boring after the first few hours, I've played quite a bit of AssCreed2 but encountered the same problems as the first game(and didn't bother with the other pasta eating sequels) I didn't think I'd have any interest left for this series. Let's hope this isn't just more of the same.

Also I'm not sure who's training these people, but their outfit just blends in less and less. Altair looked ok, a bit fancy, but didn't stand out THAT much, Ezzio looked even more like a peacock than the rest of renascence Italy (no small feat) and this guy is just asking for trouble... I mean I get we're supposed to show some suspension of disbelief, but c'mon, you're telling me he's going around dressed like THAT and guards don't spot him from half the town away?

IckleMissMayhem

Oct 18, 2009
No mention of Desmond and his antics. Colour me disappointed. Something tells me I'm going to miss clambering all over rooftops in this game.

CrazyBlaze

Jul 12, 2011
The thing I'm not liking so far is the Conor is Mohawk yet is fighting against the british. If he at least fights agaisnt the Americans as well that will make me feel better.

KLJT

Sep 15, 2010
I understand that so far Templars in this series have been on both sides of any factions in the concerned time period but that did seem to side more with the known templar Washington and seemed pretty determined to make anything wearing red to stop breathing, just hope the British aren't seen as purely evil

Toasty Virus

Somehow I Returned?
Dec 2, 2009
Yay! I share a name with him! Now I can feel super immersed whenever someone talks to me in game!

Jaeke

Feb 25, 2010
Soviet Heavy said:
Good god, can we at least wait a year before launching another game? This yearly installment crap is driving me nuts.
its been in production for 3 years.

Jaeke

Feb 25, 2010
CrazyBlaze said:
The thing I'm not liking so far is the Conor is Mohawk yet is fighting against the british. If he at least fights agaisnt the Americans as well that will make me feel better.
It will probably be a combination of the Free Masons which i think derived from or are a form of the Templars (which would include famous Americans and their order) and British (just because the Templars have British roots)

Jaeke

Feb 25, 2010
VladG said:
I must say this has raised my interest level. The whole open forest thing looks interesting and should flow very naturally in the series evolution. Since I've played AssCreed1 and found it very boring after the first few hours, I've played quite a bit of AssCreed2 but encountered the same problems as the first game(and didn't bother with the other pasta eating sequels) I didn't think I'd have any interest left for this series. Let's hope this isn't just more of the same.

Also I'm not sure who's training these people, but their outfit just blends in less and less. Altair looked ok, a bit fancy, but didn't stand out THAT much, Ezzio looked even more like a peacock than the rest of renascence Italy (no small feat) and this guy is just asking for trouble... I mean I get we're supposed to show some suspension of disbelief, but c'mon, you're telling me he's going around dressed like THAT and guards don't spot him from half the town away?
Um.... notice how there's snow... and he's an Assassin (discretion is the name of the game).... and snow also happens to be white! Ahem... thats enough problem solving for the day eh!

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Jaeke said:
Soviet Heavy said:
Still, the sheer overabundance of Asscreed since 2009 just leaves me sick of it. Even if it has been in development since 2, having 2, then Brotherhood, then Revalations each a year apart leaves no time for anything to sink in, since the next iteration is coming out soon enough.

Jaeke

Feb 25, 2010
Soviet Heavy said:
Jaeke said:
Soviet Heavy said:
Still, the sheer overabundance of Asscreed since 2009 just leaves me sick of it. Even if it has been in development since 2, having 2, then Brotherhood, then Revalations each a year apart leaves no time for anything to sink in, since the next iteration is coming out soon enough.
I totally get what you mean, Revalations did begin to show its scars from the annual toll. Let's hope this one stays fresh!

CrazyBlaze

Jul 12, 2011
Jaeke said:
CrazyBlaze said:
It will probably be a combination of the Free Masons which i think derived from or are a form of the Templars (which would include famous Americans and their order) and British (just because the Templars have British roots)
I would be fine with that as long as he doesn't see the British as the only enemy.