More Mail

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
What about the rest of what she said? Helper more or less indicated that teh wimminz don't have time to play games because they're too busy making teh baybayz n gettin da sammiches.

I have no problem with her wanting to be part of a family in that specific way, but associating it with women at large as a reason women don't play games and games shouldn't NEED be played....

Plus, I doubt Miyamoto ever said he dislike the playing games portion of his career. You specified recreational gaming, which Helper to my knowledge never did.

Qualified responses.

(Edited to add a word in...Stupid context fail on my end)

deathbydeath

Jun 28, 2010
As much as I hate to pummel a dead horse, Hepler was an atrocious writer. I honestly feel that the razorfist vlog describes this best, and he doesn't even make a fat joke:
[youtube]2nKS3eT_QUk[/youtube]

mronoc

Nov 12, 2008
Just for the record, the most commonly cited inciting incident of the Brony culture is the response to an unnecessarily alarmist post on the popular animation culture blog Cartoon Brew, decrying the end of the era of Creator-Driven cartoons in television, which is odd, as most people had already been referring to Creator-Driven era (usually associated with "Ren and Stimpy", "Dexter's Lab", "Powerpuff Girls", "Beavis and Butthead", "South Park", etc.) in the past-tense for some time before the article came out. The popular story is that people on 4Chan's cartoon board, after reading the article, decided to check out the show on a lark, and actually found it wasn't terrible.

Here's the article: http://www.cartoonbrew.com/ideas-commentary/the-end-of-the-creator-driven-era.html

Ilikemilkshake

Jun 7, 2010
deathbydeath said:
As much as I hate to pummel a dead horse, Hepler was an atrocious writer. I honestly feel that the razorfist vlog describes this best, and he doesn't even make a fat joke:
<youtube=2nKS3eT_QUk>
Fixed your embed link

OT: Your pitch for a movie kinda reminds me of what i think M Night Shyamalan was probably going for with Lady in the Water

Although your film would probably be at least 9 times better.

WindKnight

Quiet, Odd Sort.
Legacy
Jul 8, 2009
Cephiro
Country
United Kingdom
Zachary Amaranth said:
What about the rest of what she said? Helper more or less indicated that teh wimminz don't have time to play games because they're too busy making teh baybayz n gettin da sammiches.

I have no problem with her wanting to be part of a family in that specific way, but associating it with women at large as a reason women don't play games and games shouldn't NEED be played....

Plus, I doubt Miyamoto ever said he dislike the playing games portion of his career. You specified recreational gaming, which Helper to my knowledge never did.

Qualified responses.

uh... when did she say SHE SPOKE FOR ALL WOMEN? she said 'as a mother'...

craddoke

Mar 18, 2010
Windknight said:
So it's alright if she speaks for all mothers (and implicitly "game-shames" mothers who play)?

ManupBatman

Jun 23, 2011
Windknight said:
Zachary Amaranth said:

Qualified responses.

Not to mention ME3 has a story mode, so what everyone was fearing now actually exist. And enjoy the silence of no one caring.

WindKnight

Quiet, Odd Sort.
Legacy
Jul 8, 2009
Cephiro
Country
United Kingdom
please tell me where in the me 3 credits it shows Heplers contribution?

Oh, and how is letting someone choosing to play it as combat lite hurting you? is it somehow stealing your gaming experience away?

craddoke said:
Windknight said:
So it's alright if she speaks for all mothers (and implicitly "game-shames" mothers who play)?
so its alright for you to put words she didn't say in her mouth, and then damn her for them?

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
I like your theory on why My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic is so popular! ;)

Triaed

Not Gone Gonzo
Jan 16, 2009
I love this comment
When exactly did death become so taboo a topic for kids?

When American parents decided that television was a babysitter and began making the same requests one makes of a real babysitter: "Don't tell my child things about life, death, sex, etc., that I might not be ready to tell them." Makers of children's entertainment are depressingly well aware that parents want their kids' books/games/shows to be safe, and that safe means it won't do anything other than keep them out of my hair for an hour or so.
As a parent myself, I can't understand how parents use the TV as a baby sitter. I am equially mesmerised by the overparenting and "helicopter" parenting developed in the 90s and naughts.
Thanks, Bob

artanis_neravar

Apr 18, 2011
MovieBob said:
More Mail

MovieBob answers more of your questions.

Read Full Article
Obviously the best Venture Brothers character is The Sovereign, I mean who could make a better villain than David Bowie?

sanzo

Jan 21, 2009
artanis_neravar said:
MovieBob said:
More Mail

Read Full Article
Obviously the best Venture Brothers character is The Sovereign, I mean who could make a better villain than David Bowie?

"The guy from Labyrinth turned into a bird!"

:D

Crimson_Dragoon

Biologist Supreme
Jul 29, 2009
I also think that another (but not the only) reason My Little Pony got so popular was because its creator worked on Powerpuff Girls and Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends, both of which had a strong older fanbase.

Also, a best Venture Brother's list without Brock Samson on it? Frankly, I'm insulted.

BlumiereBleck

Dec 11, 2008
artanis_neravar said:
MovieBob said:
More Mail

Read Full Article

I was thinking the same thing! He's the best villain/anti-hero/ vigilante ever! He's sexy, badass, and a great musician!

ablac

Aug 4, 2009
I dont know what she writes or how good she is but before this I hadnt heard of Hepler. What happened was appaling and I cant believe this wasnt made a bigger issue. Its just ridiculous. Its truly indescribable how bad this is not only how bad it is in general but to have this come from our own community as well and then have very little to no press made about it is simply vile.

jdogtwodolla

phbbhbbhpbhphbhpbttttt......
Feb 12, 2009
That third question told me that my question wasn't getting answered in the article but told me the answer to it any way.

I get the idea the answer to my question would have been that Moviebob has little intention of making his own little indie movie like so many online personalities (blip stars are making them, youtube stars already have, even ex Escapist talent Hank and Jed are finalizing) have been doing.

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
MovieBob said:
As for how it got noticed by the older male audience in the first place, I have to wonder if U.S. fans would've found it had it not been running on a cable channel that courted that audience by running retro toons like G.I. Joe and Transformers. Just a theory, though.
That's probably part of it ? the hubbub surrounding the Hub prior to its launch must have been pretty considerable among the animation-fan community both for the specific shows it was going to be airing and for the fact that it was a brand-new channel devoted to animated programming in general ? but the other big thing is how widely available it was made through YouTube. Almost every other current TV show has an army of lawyers mashing Refresh on YouTube to try to find pirated episodes and take them down less than 24 hours after they're posted, but Hasbro didn't care enough. When the lawyers did finally swoop in, it was practically as an afterthought and only after everyone and his dog had seen it.

Bara_no_Hime

Sep 15, 2010
Zachary Amaranth said:
Except that isn't at all what she said.

She suggested that certain busy people (like, say, her, a busy mother) might enjoy different settings than the "hardcore" gamer crowd.

Which is TRUE.

I play most games on Casual because I don't have the time to repeat levels after getting repeatedly killed by them. There are too many great games I want to play, and I have too little time in which to play them. The new Deux Ex game is sitting unplayed on my shelf because, between Skyrim and ME3, I haven't had time to play it.

There are games that have terrible game play but good - even great - stories (looking at you Xenosaga 2). I don't want to suffer through playing Xenosaga 2 again to see it's amazing story. In fact, I was sort of hoping for one of those DVDs with all the cut scenes on it - sadly not provided with the Xenosaga 3 preorder.

Having easy difficulty settings on games is vital to someone like me enjoying the game. I won't ever play Demons' Souls or Dark Souls because of overly difficult gameplay. However, if those games had an option to adjust the difficulty or skip over difficult encounters, I might consider picking them up.

That's the thing - providing more options to players is never bad. Adding difficulty settings or skip options doesn't force you to use them. You can still play on Hardcore Ultra Hard if you like - I'd rather play on Easy or skip certain sections if I choose. And if I like playing the game, or if I have the time, then I won't skip.

Also, in games I like and have played a lot (like Mass Effect) I will often up the difficulty for replays. Why? Because, when replaying, I obviously have time, and I am often back for the gameplay rather than the story.

Or, in ME3's case, the Multiplayer. I just got into Gold recently. Holy crap, that's fun, in a masochistic sort of way.

So yeah - I play the single player on Casual, and the Multiplayer on Gold. Why? Because I want the story to happen quickly, without annoying interruptions, but I want the multiplayer to be a fun challenge that is satisfying to overcome. Different desires for different situations.