Turkish Soccer Fans Unfurl World's Biggest Trollface

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Turkish Soccer Fans Unfurl World's Biggest Trollface

Turkish soccer fans responded to a league-wide ban on flares in stadiums with what may be the biggest trollface the world has ever seen.

Soccer fans in Turkey apparently have a thing for waving around burning road flares at matches. Road flares, as anyone who's ever used one to cut a beer can in half can tell you, burn at insanely hot temperatures, which makes their use as toys in crowded, rowdy soccer stadiums a bit of potential safety issue. That led the Turkish Football Association [they call soccer "football" in Europe] to ban flares from all domestic games.

And that, in turn, led to a response from supporters of the Eskişehirspor [http://www.eskisehirspor.org.tr/] club that can only be described as epic. How it was coordinated will likely remain a mystery forever but the net result is very possibly the biggest trollface of all time. And then, of course, came the flares.

It's hard to fault the Turkish FA for cracking down on ridiculously dangerous pyrotechnics in stadiums and I don't think anyone would deny that lighting dozens of them all at the same time under a gigantic, flammable sheet is a pretty stupid thing to do. But also awesome. Very, very awesome.

Problem?

TilMorrow

Diabolical Party Member
Jul 7, 2010
Andy Chalk said:
Yes, according to google translator it should actually be 'Sorun?'. But it's google translator so I dunno.
But still seems pretty stupid as you said. Maybe the universe was like
http://assets.diylol.com/hfs/d8a/179/c24/resized/*****-please-meme-generator-*****-please-i-could-burn-you-but-the-heat-just-isn-t-there-13b3d9.jpg

Raven's Nest

Elite Member
Feb 19, 2009
I'll admit, if everone were wearing V for Vendetta masks, this would be the most awesome thing on the internet for at least a week...

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
Now THAT is hilarious.

(The sheet was probably made out of non-flammable materials, otherwise you'd be absolutely stupid for lighting flares under it.)

jurnag12

Nov 9, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
they call soccer "football" in Europe
Mostly because, ya know, we actually use the feet as the main means of playing the game, unlike American 'Football'.

cairocat

Oct 9, 2009
jurnag12 said:
Andy Chalk said:
they call soccer "football" in Europe
Mostly because, ya know, we actually use the feet as the main means of playing the game, unlike American 'Football'.
And here I was, about to go "inb4 soccer/football flame war."

you ruined everything.

Taluien

Apr 15, 2009
Excuse me, but us Europeans call Football Football. You Americans insinst on calling Handegg Football and Football Soccer, which is absolutely bananas.

Edit: This is Serious Business, which means I will enjoy joking about it.

Jamash

Top Todger
Jun 25, 2008
That's hilarious.

For some reason, the flare waving, loud chanting public trolling antics of Football fans rarely fails to make me laugh.

That Turkish video reminds me of a similar, recent incident where a Polish under-8 game had to be called off because of the fans:

I know it's pretty bad (and has sinister undertones), but I find the complete inappropriateness of the fans behaviour at a kids game hilarious.

I think it's the spectacle of the flares, drumming and chanting that contrasts so much with the little children trying to clear up the mess that really amuses me.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Taluien said:
Excuse me, but us Europeans call Football Football. You Americans insinst on calling Handegg Football and Football Soccer, which is absolutely bananas.

Edit: This is Serious Business, which means I will enjoy joking about it.
You know, I've always wondered where the hell we got the word "soccer" from. I mean, calling it "football" makes perfect sense, and I get that we people who are better at sports had to it call something different so as to avoid confusion with our vastly superior athletic pasttime, but where the hell did we get "soccer"?

Bassik

Jun 15, 2011
Uhm, excuse me, hi, Dutchman here. Everybody in the world calls football football, and rugby with sissy armour is called American rugby. You guys are wrong. Too much hot coffee patches in your TV's? We shall never know.

Srs bsns indeed, my dear chaps.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
see, it used to be called association football, but then it was abbreviated to assoc. which then somehow translated to soccer

which is fortunate that it did not translate to assball

ivc392

Aug 26, 2010
Everybody calls it "football" everywhere, not only in Turkey or Europe. This is, mainly, because it IS football, you have a ball and you have to kick it, with your foot. Seriously, it's not that hard....

The only part of the planet where it's called soccer in the US (& Canada apparently... and poorly translated Japanese games). The only country in the world that doesn't like real football. They have American football. Here you run with this egg-shaped ball in your arms at all times, except in this one special occasion where a designated player can kick it once...

Mhh.... sounds a lot like rugby....

Sabrestar

Apr 13, 2010
That's both awesome and hilariously stupid. Even being a Trabzonspor fan myself, I have to salute them... while facepalming.

Bassik said:
Uhm, excuse me, hi, Dutchman here. Everybody in the world calls football football, and rugby with sissy armour is called American rugby.
Actually, there seems to be a growing tendency even by Yanks to call it "gridiron", which has long been just slang. American rugby works too, and I've heard it used, though it doesn't do enough to distinguish it from "rugby with sissy armour but good" as seen in Canada. Or the "even tougher than rugby and STILL without sissy armour" that's played in Australia. (We Yanks aren't the only country to use the word "soccer", just one of the only.)