Xbox 360 Sales Surpass Original Xbox

Jared Rea

Aug 11, 2008
Xbox 360 Sales Surpass Original Xbox

Microsoft tells MCV magazine that after three years on the market and 25 million Xbox 360's sold, they have finally bested their previous effort.

With the great console arms race of this generation already decided (Hint: Nintendo won), it's the little victories that count. So when Microsoft's VP of Interactive Entertainment Business for Europe tells industry mag MCV [http://www.mcvuk.com/news/32449/360-global-sales-surpass-original-Xbox] that they've finally managed to sell more Xbox 360's than original Xbox consoles, there are still plenty of reasons to celebrate.

"We've already surpassed the installed base of the original Xbox - which is a really significant milestone," told Lewis."We've been blown away by the appetite of people to consumer digital entertainment experiences."

According to Microsoft, worldwide sales of the Xbox 360 have topped 25 million consoles sold, placing it well over its predecessor. More impressive, however, is that Microsoft managed to best their previous effort in three years where it previously took them five. Being first out the gate for this generation most certainly helped Microsoft achieve this goal so quickly, though Microsoft attributes its rapid growth in sales to the price cuts of the Xbox 360 in September of this year.

Lt. Sera

Apr 22, 2008
Shiuz91 said:
Wow way to be a biased news reporter.
Oh noes?

There is no such thing as unbiased news, besides this is just a casual remark without any real impact on the story. Hardly something to complain about, imo.

Rooster Cogburn

May 24, 2008
Guys, I'm pretty sure the Wii has outsold the other consoles by miles. While I think it's a hunk-of-junk, I can't deny the facts: Wii won. Nothing biased about that.

Jared Rea

Aug 11, 2008
Shiuz91 said:
Reality has a well known liberal bias.

Wait a minute, wrong audience.

The fact is it would take the combined worldwide sales of both the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 to edge out those of the Wii and just barely at that. There is no statement here to defend. Whether or not you can cope with this is your prerogative and unless something very dramatic happens (Iwata announces he hates money, plans nothing but sequels to Geist and Gyromite), this is the way it will continue to play out.

If it makes you feel any better, worldwide sales of Nintendo DS are greater than the combined sales of all three current consoles.

Cousin_IT

Feb 6, 2008
Shiuz91 said:
I'm not arguing how well the Wii did I'm just stating the fact that a reporter is supposed to report the news and not bring his own opinion into it.
I think the Escapist falls under journalism rather than reporting. Journalists can be as opinionated & irrelavent to the topic as they want. Just read a newspaper to see :-D

Lance Icarus

Oct 12, 2007
The 360 has games that sell that aren't named "Halo". It was going to happen sooner rather than later.

HomeAliveIn45

Jun 4, 2008
Awwww, that's adorable! It's like they HAVE to prove something to themselves!
Who's my little Microsoft? Yes you are! Yes you are!

The Iron Ninja

Aug 13, 2008
Note: 360 owner, don't flame! don't flame!

Maybe it's something to do with all the extra copies people have been buying whenever their previous console kicks the bucket.

And I don't see what the problem was with saying Nintendo won, statistically they have, and it's all the more impressive considering the setback brought upon by the travesty that was the Gamecube

mjhhiv

Jun 22, 2008
Shiuz91 said:
Jared Rea said:
Shiuz91 said:

The fact is it would take the combined worldwide sales of both the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 to edge out those of the Wii and just barely at that. There is no statement here to defend. Whether or not you can cope with this is your prerogative and unless something very dramatic happens (Iwata announces he hates money, plans nothing but sequels to Geist and Gyromite), this is the way it will continue to play out.

If it makes you feel any better, worldwide sales of Nintendo DS are greater than the combined sales of all three current consoles.
I'm not arguing how well the Wii did I'm just stating the fact that a reporter is supposed to report the news and not bring his own opinion into it.
It's not an opinion...

The Wii won. That's not an opinionated statement - it's a fact.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
mspencer82 said:
Shiuz91 said:
You're missing the point here. Saying Nintendo won isn't an opinion, it's a fact...a very, very sad fact, but a fact nonetheless. Nintendo outselling their competitors two to one is pretty much a clear victory, stating that doesn't make a reporter biased.
I'd say it's a fact for now atleast. It's only been two years since it's launch I believe, same thing with PS3, who knows what could happen 3 years from now? Though most likely, the Wii will still be winning 3 years from now ;O But I still like to keep possibilities open. It's more like the 360 and PS3 duking it out for 2nd place really.

But wait, I thought they already sold way past what the original Xbawks sold? Hell, never considered it anyway. How long did it take for the original Xbox to sell as many as the 360 sold right now? I'm confused.

Mar 26, 2008
mjhhiv said:
Shiuz91 said:
Jared Rea said:
Shiuz91 said:

It's not an opinion...

The Wii won. That's not an opinionated statement - it's a fact.
It's a fact that it's winning, it has not yet won.

I don't think you can declare a winner in a generation until a new generation emerges. It's like declaring Roger Federer the winner of Wimbledon when the score is 6-0,6-0,5-0 in his favour. He could have a brain aneurysm in the final game and get comprehensively beaten from then on. It's highly unlikely but not improbable.

stompy

Jan 21, 2008
The Iron Ninja said:
Note: 360 owner, don't flame! don't flame!

Maybe it's something to do with all the extra copies people have been buying whenever their previous console kicks the bucket.
Plausible, but are they taking those consoles in to account? Or are those seperate from the sales records?

As for this news, it's good. All I ask for is good games, and the rest should fall in to place.