Take the "Old School Gaming" Quiz!

WMDogma

Jul 28, 2009
Take the "Old School Gaming" Quiz!

How many of these classic gaming consoles and controllers can you identify?

Greetings game fans! Did you know that it's been just about 40 years since the first home gaming console hit the market way back in 1972? Our favorite hobby is getting up there in years, so to help teach everyone a little bit of gaming history, we've put together a little quiz on some of the most classic (and old school) gaming consoles out there.

Do you remember the Atari Jaguar? The Commodore 64? Or what about the Sega Dreamcast? Take the quiz and find out!

Take the quiz! [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/quizzes/view/201]

You'll have as long as you like to take the quiz, and can retake it until you get 100%. Just remember your cumulative time will affect your position on the leaderboard.

New Frontiersman

Feb 2, 2010
Blast. Only got a 60. I guess my 20 years gaming experience isn't quite enough. Oh well, I'll try harder next time.

Also, does the GameCube really count as "old school" gaming?

Mr Cwtchy

Jan 13, 2009
50%. Pretty good considering I was guessing half the answers.

In hindsight those were probably the ones I got right. :p

WMDogma

Jul 28, 2009
Daft Ghosty said:
For some reason the Commodore 64 image isn't taking Commodore 64 as the answer.
I've looked into that and corrected the mix-up. Apologies!

unacomn

Mar 3, 2008
Good quiz, I sort of randomly guessed the one with the 3DO pad, never seen one before.

Whoracle

Jan 7, 2008
Damn, overread the hint for the panasonic pad. 90% on my first try is quite nice, though.

rayen020

May 20, 2009
never seen some of those despite gaming and PC obsessing since my dad bought our first computer in 1990. took 2 tries, never seen/heard/been aware of panasonic 3DO whatever it was.
Also gamecube and dreamcast aren't old school. heck one of my current generation consoles has hookups for gamecube.

PLightstar

Aug 23, 2011
A good quiz, though it made me feel old. Took me a while to remember the Mega Drive was called the Genesis in the US. Wouldn't consider the Dreamcast or Jaguar old school, but that shows my age. Was jealous of my mate who had the wood finish Atari 2600, I had the black plastic version. I want the next consoles to have wood or leather finishes, would make them less of an eye sore in the living room.

ph0b0s123

Jul 7, 2010
Damn, misread the answers for the nes controller and clicked on snes just cause it was the first that said Nintendo. Should always fully read the question or else you only get 90%.

Commodore screen threw me for a while as I recognised the screen, but not the monitor and keyboard in the picture with it. You may want to blur the commodore in the actual screen text though....

Also the C64 question 'This console...' may want to change that....

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
I had to take an educated guess on one based on the other options, but I got them all on the first try!

FYI the photo of the Commodore 64 boot screen had the words "COMMODORE 64" pretty easy to see despite the blurring. Not that I needed the help.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
That black controller threw me off. I got 9/10 three times before I got the right one for it. The rest I knew.

But...

The Gamecube is not retro, I refuse to think of it as old school. >.<

[sub][sub]It's my most modern console that I happen to own, it can't be retro yet.[/sub][/sub]

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
I got a 100% on my first try.
That... greatly surprises me considering I was -4 years old when the NES came out.