Take the "Old School Gaming" Quiz!

Mar 26, 2008
90% oh yeah. I'm lucky to be old enough to have played those things first hand. I remember breaking one of those switches off the Atari 2600.

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
How sad is it that the Gamecube made it into the list? Maybe not as sad as me getting a 60.
If it wasn't for the Wii, the Gamecube wouldn't be THAT old... >___>

Nemu

In my hand I hold a key...
Oct 14, 2009
MY kinda quiz right here!
I hit up the History of Video Gaming exhibit the weekend it opened at the Smithsonian. I was explaining to my gf (and surrounding crowd) how awesome Intellivision was and why there was a keypad on the controller... lol

RipRoaringWaterfowl

Jun 20, 2011
100% on first try. Yes. I truly know all about games.

Ask me what the first ROM cartridge based console was! Or what Sgea's first console was!

Though I have to say, the quiz was pathetically easy for me. And I mean, come on! Dreamcast and Gamecube? I didn't know the 6th gen was retro? (Hint: It's not. Not yet.)

ph0b0s123 said:
Also the C64 question 'This console...' may want to change that....
There was a Commodore 64 console released in 1990.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commodore_64_Games_System

That's the wierdness of the Early Console Wars.

ph0b0s123

Jul 7, 2010
Lear said:
100% on first try. Yes. I truly know all about games.

Ask me what the first ROM cartridge based console was! Or what Sgea's first console was!

Though I have to say, the quiz was pathetically easy for me. And I mean, come on! Dreamcast and Gamecube? I didn't know the 6th gen was retro? (Hint: It's not. Not yet.)

ph0b0s123 said:
Also the C64 question 'This console...' may want to change that....
There was a Commodore 64 console released in 1990.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commodore_64_Games_System

That's the wierdness of the Early Console Wars.
True, but the picture was of a Commodore 64 computer, with keyboard, etc, not the console. So the description was not accurate. Having the console in there would have been interesting for a difficulty point of view.

SuperTrainStationH

Oct 4, 2010
100% on my first try, no struggle whatsoever. It was outrageously easy and I never even played half those machines before.

Beautiful End said:
How sad is it that the Gamecube made it into the list? Maybe not as sad as me getting a 60.
If it wasn't for the Wii, the Gamecube wouldn't be THAT old... >___>
'

The Super NES was widely considered "old school" by the time its 10th birthday was celebrated in 2001.

The GameCube is now 11 years old.

ewhac

Digital Spellweaver
Legacy
Escapist +
Sep 2, 2009
San Francisco Peninsula
Country
USA
100% on the first go.

Honestly, you should have thrown an actual Fairchild Channel F in there. They had 8-direction joysticks (up, down, left, right, twist clockwise, twist counterclockwise, push down, pull up).

And, of course, I recognized the 3DO controller immediately. Although you got the description a bit wrong. The machine was generically referred to as the 3DO Interactive Multiplayer. However, it was manufactured by Matsushita/Panasonic (model numbers FZ-1 and FZ-10), and LG/Goldstar (GDO-101M), each of whom did their own industrial design. The controller pictured was the Panasonic unit. Creative Labs also made a "3DO Blaster" as an ISA expansion card for the PC, but I don't think they ever sold very many.

Also, I object to the description of the Atari Jaguar as the world's first 64-bit system. I think they had one 64-bit data path in there, but the CPU was 32-bit, the memory address space was 32-bit... It was about as honest as claiming the 3DO could render 64 million pixels/second (it was really about 16 million).

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
I scored 100%, with 10 of 10 correct on The Escapist's The Old School Gaming Quiz!. [br] [a href="/quizzes/view/201-The-Old-School-Gaming-Quiz"]Take this quiz[/a]

Holy crap I got them all right on the first go! I guess the Angry Video Game Nerd shows on youtube helped me out with a couple of the old school models I wouldn't have known otherwise.