Valve's New Hardware Project is Wearable "Steam Glasses"

Mike Kayatta

Minister of Secrets
Aug 2, 2011
Valve's New Hardware Project is Wearable "Steam Glasses"

"Think Terminator vision."

Last month, the internet was aflutter with rumors of Valve wedging itself into the console market with something called the "Steam Box," a mythological slab of gaming hardware that was swiftly debunked within the week by the company's VP of marketing. That, it seemed, was enough to squash any further speculation, at least until a recent job posting [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/116774-Valve-Hiring-For-Help-With-Hardware] seeking an electronics engineer to help "develop hardware," spun things right back into gear. Well, after over six weeks of fruitless guesswork by the unwashed masses, Valve's Michael Abrash has come clean about his, and his company's, work on a nifty set of prototype glasses that he refers to as "wearable computing," (probably) answering this hardware hullaballoo once and for all.

"By 'wearable computing' I mean mobile computing where both computer-generated graphics and the real world are seamlessly overlaid in your view; there is no separate display that you hold in your hands (think Terminator vision)," wrote Abrash on his personal blog. "The underlying trend as we've gone from desktops through laptops and notebooks to tablets is one of having computing available in more places, more of the time."

Before you get too excited, Abrash warns that Valve's work on this new venture is strictly "R&D," which is to say, a whole lot of tinkering with possibilities and toying with options. "It doesn't in any way involve a product at this point," he writes, "and won't for a long while, if ever - so please, no rumors about Steam glasses being announced at E3."

Still, Abrash is optimistic about the possibilities, speculating that wearable computing will become the norm within the foreseeable future. "The logical endpoint is computing everywhere, all the time - that is, wearable computing - and I have no doubt that 20 years from now that will be standard," he explains, "probably through glasses or contacts, but for all I know through some kind of more direct neural connection. And I'm pretty confident that platform shift will happen a lot sooner than 20 years - almost certainly within 10, but quite likely as little as 3-5, because the key areas - input, processing/power/size, and output - that need to evolve to enable wearable computing are shaping up nicely, although there's a lot still to be figured out."

As for who's figuring that out, it looks like Valve is trying to recruit a larger team than that solitary electronics engineer posting may suggest. Abrash compares the creation process to when he essentially had to "figure out" Quake from scratch, and much like then, needs hands and brains aplenty to help out. "The team has grown, and we're making good headway," he writes about the glasses, "but there's a vast amount of stuff to investigate, and we need more smart people. Lots more smart people. Hardware people, software people, firmware people, game people, UI people, just plain great programmers and problem solvers, industrial designers, mechanical engineers, electrical engineers, systems programmers, computer vision people, optics engineers, you name it."

If your skill set falls somewhere within that catalog, you can email Abrash directly about earning a position on his team here. [http://www.valvesoftware.com/email.php?recipient=Michael+Abrash] As for the rest of us, it looks like we'll be waiting between three and twenty years before wearing Gordon Freeman on our face.

Source: Abrash's Blog [http://blogs.valvesoftware.com/abrash/valve-how-i-got-here-what-its-like-and-what-im-doing-2/]

Smeagol150

Emperor of the Moon
Oct 20, 2008
So is this somehow related to Google's Project Glass? Or am I just dreaming fluffy dreams?

Saucycarpdog

Sep 30, 2009
Steam glasses are being announced at E3?

[sub]I kid, I kid.[/sub]

If they actually move foward with this, it might make them a direct competitor with google glasses. Sounds like a good fight.

Beryl77

Mar 26, 2010
Well, hello there future. You don't seem so far away anymore and you sound wonderful. Seriously, this sounds great. Of course it's too early to be so excited about this but if they do it right, this could lead to a whole new way of gaming and other stuff.
Smeagol150 said:
So is this somehow related to Google's Project Glass? Or am I just dreaming fluffy dreams?
That was the first thing that came to my mind as well. The two projects seem very similar and they happen at somewhat the same time, although it seems that Google's project is a lot more advanced at the moment than Valve's.

Catalyst6

Dapper Fellow
Apr 21, 2010
What? Huh? Wha... I don't know if I can even believe it.

After all, Valve has been known to be masterful trolls. I just don't even know.

Headsprouter

Monster Befriender
Legacy
Nov 19, 2010
DVS BSTrD said:
That's a stupid idea!
Everyone knows steam will fog up the lenses!
That was beautiful. *sniff*

But neuronal signal control sounds positively electric!

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
So they're making Adam Jensen's augmented reality shades? Well, someone's got to get humanity moving toward out there.

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
DVS BSTrD said:
That's a stupid idea!
Everyone knows steam will fog up the lenses!
You, sir, are comedy.

OT: From my very amateur-ish point of view, it sounds like a well-developed Virtual Boy, much, much smaller than the original and with more than two colors available. Like something straight from the future...so I'm in!

I'll be expecting flying cars in the next three years or so, too.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
On the one hand, I fear the car crashes and on the other hand, I want 5 sets of those technoshades.

EDIT:

Saucycarpdog said:
Steam glasses are being announced at E3?

[sub]I kid, I kid.[/sub]

If they actually move foward with this, it might make them a direct competitor with google glasses. Sounds like a good fight.
Google's making Google Goggles?

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
HUD Glasses, and they support Steam?

I want. I dont care when, or even if, i want.

Loop Stricken

Covered in bees!
Jun 17, 2009
So Valve and Google are going to try this, eh?

I'm just hoping for a real life Dennou Coil. Man, Densuke was the best character in that. such an awesome dog. [sub][sub]And it gets more girls wearing glasses. Me gusta. [sub][sub]Gods, now I feel dirty, and not the good kind.[/sub][/sub][/sub][/sub]

Lancer873

Oct 10, 2009
Everyone and their mothers said:
Google's doing this too...
Valve vs Google: The ultimate battle for our souls eyes begins.
Either way, though, I'm pretty sure the nerds and the techno-hipsters will win.

GoldenShadow

May 13, 2008
Valve is doing this so Half-Life games make sense. You know, how Gordon sees a HUD that displays his health and ammo. It was because he was wearing these future computer glasses.