Wasteland 2 Kickstarter Ends With a Bang

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Wasteland 2 Kickstarter Ends With a Bang

Wasteland 2 has $3 million in funding and that means big things ahead.

It was a close shave, but when the Wasteland 2 Kickstarter came to a close a couple of hours ago, the mythical $3 million mark had been hit. The Wasteland 2 site [http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/inxile/wasteland-2 ], you'll notice that donations taken via PayPal, which were opened after the Kickstarter goal was achieve, add up to another $110,703. Grand total: $3,043,900!

It's good news for gamers because earlier this month, as the money kept piling up, Wasteland 2 mastermind Brian Fargo explained [http://wasteland.inxile-entertainment.com/blog/] that hitting a couple of ridiculously high funding plateaus would lead to even bigger and better things for the game. Achieving $2.5 million in funding would allow for the addition of more designers and scripters, meaning a bigger, deeper game world with more storylines and player options, more NPC portraits and equipment art and an expanded music budget, he said, while $3 million would increase the scope of the game even further and also bring the possibility of a simultaneous mod kit release into the picture, which is a pretty huge deal in itself.

It was a scrape to get by, but they - and we - made it, and while pre-production began earlier this month, now the real work gets underway. The $3 million in funding means that Wasteland 2 will also be made for Linux and Mac as well as Windows PCs, and Fargo said the team will continue to put up polls in the Wasteland 2 forums to get a feel for what fans want added to the game. "The bottom line is that this kind of budget ensures that Wasteland 2 is BIGGER than Wasteland 1," he wrote.

The Wasteland 2 team is currently aiming for a release in late 2013.

Antitonic

Enlightened Dispenser Of Truth!
Feb 4, 2010
How much of that will go due to the rewards and fees? Maybe we didn't get there after all...

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
The Artificially Prolonged said:
WOOOOAHH!

Well done everyone who contributed.

Now begins the long and painful wait for it to be released :D
For real. This is going to be a long wait XP

Jaeger_CDN

Aug 9, 2010
I did my part including adding $15 for shipping to Canada.

DVS BSTrD said:
Here's hoping most of that actually DOES make it to development.
I think Brian fargo did a fairly smart thing with making a number of the lower end rewards digital which will help with the 'take-home' end of the cash. The other thing is that the team doing WL2 is made up of seasoned veterans as opposed to the Star Command crew which looks to me to be a fairly new start up and would have hopefully had fairly reasonable budgets in mind before hand.

I'm just hoping that if they decide to build WL2 for the iOS that Android is considered as well (tablet versions not for phones).

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
I wonder just how similar it will be to Fallout? Not that it should be; I know Fallout is the spiritual successor, but they're two separate franchises in their own right now. But considering how much overlap of the staff between the two series, I daresay the similarities won't stop at "post-apocalyptic setting". I just hope it doesn't go in the complete opposite direction and take itself too seriously. At any rate, I'm super pumped for this, and can't wait for release!

LavaLampBamboo

King of Okay
Jun 27, 2008
Andy Chalk said:
It was a scrape to get by, but they - and we - made it,
Andy, this is me accusing you of having an agenda because you have an interest in the project, just like you have shares in GOG.com. OUTRAGEOUS!

That's a decent amount of money the project raised, I'm quite impressed. Looking forward to seeing how this one turns out.

Richardplex

Jun 22, 2011
Andronicus said:
I wonder just how similar it will be to Fallout? Not that it should be; I know Fallout is the spiritual successor, but they're two separate franchises in their own right now. But considering how much overlap of the staff between the two series, I daresay the similarities won't stop at "post-apocalyptic setting". I just hope it doesn't go in the complete opposite direction and take itself too seriously. At any rate, I'm super pumped for this, and can't wait for release!
From what I've gathered, it is going to be super serious, and having no publishers, will seriously address the 18+ issues that would be prevalent in a post-apocalyptic environment... along with some dark humour of course.

OT: :D

Tiamat666

Level 80 Legendary Postlord
Dec 4, 2007
Now is the time for Fargo to pull the tactical EVE Online move and disappear somewhere in the Bahamas.

If he does stick around (maybe because of this being a good person and karma stuff and such), I must admit that I'm a little worried that this might have a negative impact on any future Bethesda Fallout release (like axing it due to new competition / too much apocalypse on the market, etc.). I mean Beths Fallout is almost the perfect post-apocalyptic game I want to play, so I'm not sure how Wasteland intends to improve / beat that.

Adding drivable vehicles (such as the giant Skorpion-Tank thing on the picture) would be a good start though.

Lunar Shadow

Dec 9, 2008
Richardplex said:
Andronicus said:
From what I've gathered, it is going to be super serious, and having no publishers, will seriously address the 18+ issues that would be prevalent in a post-apocalyptic environment... along with some dark humour of course.

Especially since Avellone is onboard. I do believe I need a change of pants, they seem to have spontaneously become sticky after that nerdgasm.

scarab7

Jun 20, 2009
And now we play the waiting game... until October... of next year. Still worth the wait though.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
Richardplex said:
Andronicus said:

I would also assume from the concept art, unlike Fallout, this will be set in our post-apocalyptic world, as oppose to Fallouts "stuck in the 50s" world.

Marmooset

Mar 29, 2010
It better be exactly like the first one.

In fact, I'm gonna go get my Commodore out of storage while they're working on the game.

mattaui

Oct 16, 2008
Having played the original WL on my PCjr back in 1987, I remembered even Wasteland having plenty of humor, if not off the wall zany like some of Fallout 2 or parts of Fallout 3.

I'm hoping they keep the features and graphics tight while focusing on the depth and breadth of gameplay. Part of the problem with so many AAA games is blowing millions on flash and frills, but forgetting that there's supposed to be a game in there.

Rabid Toilet

Mar 23, 2008
Tiamat666 said:
If he does stick around (maybe because of this being a good person and karma stuff and such), I must admit that I'm a little worried that this might have a negative impact on any future Bethesda Fallout release (like axing it due to new competition / too much apocalypse on the market, etc.). I mean Beths Fallout is almost the perfect post-apocalyptic game I want to play, so I'm not sure how Wasteland intends to improve / beat that.

Adding drivable vehicles (such as the giant Skorpion-Tank thing on the picture) would be a good start though.
I doubt Wasteland 2 would have any effect whatsoever on Bethesda's Fallout. They are completely different games. The only thing they really have in common is that they are both post-apocalyptic.