Shadowrun Returns Kickstarter Finishes Big

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Shadowrun Returns Kickstarter Finishes Big

The Shadowrun Returns Kickstarter has ended with more than $1.8 million in funding.

Back in early April, FASA mastermind Jordan Weisman [not Mechner] train wreck [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/116646-Shadowrun-Returns-Comes-to-Kickstarter] released on the Xbox 360 and PC, but now Weisman, who wasn't involved in that project, wants a shot at doing it his way. As it turns out, the internet is very happy to give it to him.

Shadowrun Returns brought in $1,836,477 on Kickstarter [http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1613260297/shadowrun-returns], a far cry from the $3 million mark set by Double Fine Adventure and Wasteland 2 but still a hell of a pile of money and well over the $400,000 goal. With PayPal donations added to the mix, the total rises to $1,895,772, enough money to create Mac, Linux and tablet editions of the game to go along with the PC release.

The action now shifts to the new site at announced [http://www.shadowrun.com/] last year. Shadowrun Returns is currently, and presumably very tentatively, scheduled for "delivery" in early 2013.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
You know what I love most about this and other similar projects? The way it strengthens the ever weakening bonds between consumers and producers. In an age where big media corporations ran by people (stockholders) who don't give a damn about the actual product decide on big decisions regarding one of our favorite mediums, changing a once free and truly creative industry into a faceless corporation, seeing a video like this really warms my heart. It gets everyone who is passionate about these games together again, both the fans and the developers.

I like that. Now here's to hoping that the game will actually be good. I for once would like to see a good cyberpunk-meets-magic videogame.
poiumty said:
So nice seeing a team of passionate people who are excited for their job.
You know what the worst thing is? They're everywhere. Meet almost any developing team, even from games you don't like, and you'll see the same amount of passion. What you won't see is them interacting with the consumer base like these guys do. There's usually a big publisher between them, governing things. A shame really.

Uge Plex

Apr 30, 2012
Hoi Chummer! You wrote: "Shadowrun Returns brought in $1,836,477 on Kickstarter, a far cry from the $3 million mark set by Double Fine Adventure and Wasteland 2"

Have you considered that Shadowrun Returns Kickstarter project only ran for 24 days? Which is a much shorter run than most of the other larger gaming projects. Also, Shadowrun Returns was pulling in well over $50 per backer in pledges, which is astounding. Following the trend of pledges once word got out about the Shadowrun returns Kickstarter project, if it had run for the full month, it may have surpassed the funding of both Double Fine Adventure and Wasteland 2. I think that's pretty AWESOME!

Note: For Shadowrun fans who haven't heard yet, Shadowrun Returns, Shadowrun Online and Catalyst Game Labs (the guys who publish the Pen(cil) and Paper Shadowrun RPG) are combining forces with Jordan Weisamn (original creator of Shadowrun!) at http://www.shadowrun.com home to the new Shadowrun Universe. Hope ta see somma you chummers there ^_^! (No, I'm not employed by any of those companies, but I am a very new forum mod and VERY excited about the new life the Shadowrun setting is experiencing.) ^_^

Ja'mata!

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
Uge Plex said:
Hoi Chummer! You wrote: "Shadowrun Returns brought in $1,836,477 on Kickstarter, a far cry from the $3 million mark set by Double Fine Adventure and Wasteland 2"

Have you considered that Shadowrun Returns Kickstarter project only ran for 24 days? Which is a much shorter run than most of the other larger gaming projects. Also, Shadowrun Returns was pulling in well over $50 per backer in pledges, which is astounding. Following the trend of pledges once word got out about the Shadowrun returns Kickstarter project, if it had run for the full month, it may have surpassed the funding of both Double Fine Adventure and Wasteland 2. I think that's pretty AWESOME!

Note: For Shadowrun fans who haven't heard yet, Shadowrun Returns, Shadowrun Online and Catalyst Game Labs (the guys who publish the Pen(cil) and Paper Shadowrun RPG) are combining forces with Jordan Weisamn (original creator of Shadowrun!) at http://www.shadowrun.com home to the new Shadowrun Universe. Hope ta see somma you chummers there ^_^! (No, I'm not employed by any of those companies, but I am a very new forum mod and VERY excited about the new life the Shadowrun setting is experiencing.) ^_^

Ja'mata!
Presuming it was going up at a consistent rate.

That's $76,519.875 a day.

$459,119.25 more after 6 more days.

$2,295,596.25 Total.

So it shouldn't have surpassed them, even in 7 days for a 31 day month.

edit: Still happy for them >_>

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
I think the focus should be less on extrapolating who's more awesome by the size of their bank roll as it should be being excited for a new, and hopefully good, Shadowrun game. I'm happy to say that I contributed my small part towards a franchise that I have a lot of love for, and I'm eagerly awaiting seeing what comes from it.

Sandytimeman

Brain Freeze...yay!
Jan 14, 2011
I am so excieted for my game!!!! YES. I've gotten so into this kickstarter, I contributed 125 so I could get those sweet game tags! I even loaned my bro 60 bucks so he could kick in as well!

I also love Hair Brain, they are so awesome and they tweeted back to me!

80Maxwell08

Jul 14, 2010
Hey Andy. I win.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.373341-Shadowrun-Kickstarter-ends-Congratulations-on-1-8-Million

SirCannonFodder

Nov 23, 2007
Not really surprising it made about half what Wasteland 2 did, since their initial goal was only half as much. I get the feeling this'll be an overall smaller affair than WL2, which is fine. I mean, they're still getting my $140.

Edith The Hutt

Flying Monkey
Oct 16, 2010
Shadowrun for the SNES was my first real rpg. It holds a special place in my heart and I think I'll always have a soft spot for the Shadowrun universe.

This news, this news is awesome.

Darks63

Mar 8, 2010
Awesome I still play the Genesis and Snes versions of shadowrun from time to time. I reaklly hope its a good game and not a multiplayer abortion like the xbox one was.

oh and null sweat in your struggles chummers

80Maxwell08

Jul 14, 2010
Andy Chalk said:
80Maxwell08 said:
Hey Andy. I win.
Yes, congratulations on being "that guy."
I'm just saying you were 2 days late on making an article that could have been done simply by looking at it. If people here can outclass your speed at news by days simply by checking twitter or looking it up then you might want to speed up.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Slycne said:
I think the focus should be less on extrapolating who's more awesome by the size of their bank roll as it should be being excited for a new, and hopefully good, Shadowrun game. I'm happy to say that I contributed my small part towards a franchise that I have a lot of love for, and I'm eagerly awaiting seeing what comes from it.
Yeah, the point wasn't to make a negative comparison, but rather to highlight the fact that these three niche titles that had no future as mainstream projects did huge business when taken directly to the public. Shadowrun Returns had a goal of $400 grand and hit $1.9 million, and that's an absolutely huge victory by any measure. Personally, I think Jordan Weisman (not Mechner) draws every bit as much water as Tim Schafer or Brian Fargo, so please don't think that I'm running him or his project down. Nothing could be further from the truth.

Alas, I was not able to buy into Shadowrun. I wanted to, I really did, but I was caught in the pinch between Wasteland 2 and Grim Dawn. I just couldn't do all three.

Right Hook

May 29, 2011
First Kickstarter I've thrown in on, very unlikely that it'll be the last, I love this direction that some dev teams are taking and if these initial games come through looking beautiful in about a years time, I guarantee this will become a fairly standard sort of affair. It's great that publisher don't hold a monopoly on everyone anymore, sure big budget games will still have to go through them but this opens us up to so many more creative, innovative games.

UnderGlass

Jan 12, 2012
Andy Chalk said:
Alas, I was not able to buy into Shadowrun. I wanted to, I really did, but I was caught in the pinch between Wasteland 2 and Grim Dawn. I just couldn't do all three.
But Andy, you just do what I do when faced with a difficult decision like this "-Woah, holster those guns there hoss. Do you really need the reward tier with all three backer t-shirts? After all you are already $200 in the ho- [HEADING=2]LALALALAICAN'THEARYOULALALALALALALASHADOWRUNWOOHOOLALALALALALA
LALASHADOWRUNSHADOWRUNLALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALAA!!![/HEADING]"

I find this method extremely useful in resolving internal conflicts on these kinds of issues.

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Andy Chalk said:
Slycne said:
Yeah, the point wasn't to make a negative comparison, but rather to highlight the fact that these three niche titles that had no future as mainstream projects did huge business when taken directly to the public. Shadowrun Returns had a goal of $400 grand and hit $1.9 million, and that's an absolutely huge victory by any measure. Personally, I think Jordan Weisman (not Mechner) draws every bit as much water as Tim Schafer or Brian Fargo, so please don't think that I'm running him or his project down. Nothing could be further from the truth.

No worries, I was directing that towards the two commenters who were running the dollars per day and such. I think all the games and the money they brought in are all worthy accomplishments, and a great sign that there are plenty of gamers looking for something different.