Rockstar Unveils Max Payne 3 Launch Trailer

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Rockstar Unveils Max Payne 3 Launch Trailer

In Max Payne 3, time moves forward, and nothing changes.

Max Payne is a mess. Booze, pills, violence and memories of his shattered past have left him a broken man. Not even the slums of Sao Paulo, half a world away from the demons of New York City, affords him escape. Hell travels with him.

Probably the biggest worry about Max Payne 3 centers of the new setting and what appeared at first to be a near-complete transformation of Max from a struggling New York cop to a train-wreck slob in a wifebeater. But the more I see, the more I think that Rockstar may have got it right, and that in spite of the focus on multiplayer and cutting-edge graphics, the cinematic elements and overwrought pathos that made the first two games such memorable experiences are alive and well and killing people in Brazil.

[video=5699]​

It's interesting that the launch trailer isn't all action and explosions. People get shot and smacked around and kicked in the face, but the focus is very clearly on Max, who seems to be having some trouble overcoming his personal issues. Not that I enjoy watching a man hit rock bottom, but this is the kind of thing that really gives me hope that maybe - just maybe - this might be the real deal.

Max Payne 3 [http://www.amazon.com/Max-Payne-3-Xbox-360/dp/B0022TNO7S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1336667551&sr=8-1] comes out on May 15 for the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3, and May 29 for the PC.

sephiroth1991

Dec 3, 2009
UGGH Why does Max Payne 3 have to come out the same day as Diablo 3 i want to play both but can't afford too.

OT: It looks pretty good and the music is spot on, i'm not against them taking the game in a different root if its a good root so when i do get a chance to play it, i may enjoy it till then i shall be killing monsters for gold.

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
Ugh. The game is so close to being a good Max Payne sequel. So close! But still so far... :(

Ashcrexl

May 27, 2009
BreakfastMan said:
Ugh. The game is so close to being a good Max Payne sequel. So close! But still so far... :(
And you can definitely say this from a minute-37 trailer. No doubt.

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
Ashcrexl said:
BreakfastMan said:
Well, a trailer is supposed to put the best foot of the game forward, to make you want to buy the game. None of the trailers have done so for me so far. They have made it very clear, both in trailers and in news, that the game is not going to be what I think a new Max Payne sequel should be. I am going off what they give me.

Azuaron

Mar 17, 2010
War. War never changes.

I'm more excited for Max Payne 3 than I thought I would be. Honestly, I recently replayed the first two, and they aren't great.

Ashcrexl

May 27, 2009
BreakfastMan said:
Ashcrexl said:
BreakfastMan said:
Well, a trailer is supposed to put the best foot of the game forward, to make you want to buy the game. None of the trailers have done so for me so far. They have made it very clear, both in trailers and in news, that the game is not going to be what I think a new Max Payne sequel should be. I am going off what they give me.
oh sorry, i misinterpreted your statement to mean Max Payne 3 will not be a good game and should not have been made. Nonetheless, you shouldn't base your entire judgement of whether a game will fit to your tastes on trailers.

Fat Hippo

Prepare to be Gnomed
Legacy
May 29, 2009
That music brings back A LOT of memories...I really want to play Max Payne 2 now.

I just hope this game turns out good, because I haven't been very optimistic so far. I actually though 2 had the perfect ending, so even though I loved the game, I didn't WANT a sequel. So now I can only hope it doesn't blow.

dangoball

Jun 20, 2011
ducktapemax said:
Maybe by the end of this game he will finally be happy for once.
How dare you proclaim such heresy?! Max Payne and happy? Shun the thought!
But seriously, what would it take for someone like Max to attain happiness? That is outside the scope of my imagination.

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
Ashcrexl said:
BreakfastMan said:
Ashcrexl said:
BreakfastMan said:
oh sorry, i misinterpreted your statement to mean Max Payne 3 will not be a good game and should not have been made. Nonetheless, you shouldn't base your entire judgement of whether a game will fit to your tastes on trailers.
Oh, no, no, no. Didn't mean anything close to that.

Besides, what else am I supposed to go on for a unreleased game, besides trailers and news? I am only basing my opinion on what they are showing. Got nothing else to go on. D:

Zulnam

Feb 22, 2010
Man, I didn't get hyped for this game one second from day 1 when they announced it... But when you hear that awesome song...

I kind of hope the ending won't be happy. It's what made all the MP games be so awesome, story-wise. It was dark, grim, but realistic. It proved that just shooting your way through dozens of people does not gain you a happy life. Unlike, well, every other damn shooter on the market.

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
I hope the focus on multiplayer is not gonna be too big... i'm really not a multiplayer guy and there are just not enough good singleplayer-shooters.

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
Fat_Hippo said:
That music brings back A LOT of memories...I really want to play Max Payne 2 now.
Yeah. I hear that cello and I get goosebumps again. I'm really wondering whether or not I should replay Max Payne 2 before this comes out. It's still my favorite shooter.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
BreakfastMan said:
Ashcrexl said:
BreakfastMan said:
What a trailer actually tells you though is what marketing people think people in your demographic like.

I mean the main Skyrim trailer had 0 gameplay footage, is that really putting the best foot forward?

Saying that this trailer has been the closest to what I wanted to see from the game, the music and narration was tone perfect, now if they just include the non-combat levels I hope it's going to be worth playing

ducktapemax

Nov 17, 2009
dangoball said:
ducktapemax said:
Maybe by the end of this game he will finally be happy for once.
How dare you proclaim such heresy?! Max Payne and happy? Shun the thought!
But seriously, what would it take for someone like Max to attain happiness? That is outside the scope of my imagination.
Maybe Prozac and some friends?