Rockstar Unveils Max Payne 3 Launch Trailer

DeepComet5581

Mar 30, 2010
Am I the only one who is looking forward to what Gav (Miracle of Sound) is going to do with this one? I am?

Okay...

This seems like a very cerebral shooter. While I don't normally go for shooters, I tend to be drawn to Max Payne for the more innovative gameplay mechanics, and this appears to have many oozing out of it's many... O.O

Besides, it's the first I've ever heard shooting being referred to as "Gunplay".

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
Uh, I like how Max says absolutely nothing of value whenever he opens his mouth. "There are two kind of people - those who build the future, and those who try to rebuild the past". Gee, no shit? Tell us more.

It was always a problem with the previous Max Payne games, but pretty much every neo-noir story feels the need to over write the damn monologuing. Look, we know what a noir story is! You don't need to copy everything out of Elroy/Chandler hand book.

The hard boiled genre is just a parody of itself in this day and age, and the tortured, mixed metaphors and the god awful pessimism of these throwbacks do nothing to convey serious, adult drama.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
maninahat said:
It was always a problem with the previous Max Payne games, but pretty much every neo-noir story feels the need to over write the damn monologuing. Look, we know what a noir story is! You don't need to copy everything out of Elroy/Chandler hand book.
That's not the problem, that's the point. The original game was a parody, although that was blurred somewhat by the nature of the genre and the cynicism of modern audiences. The line got even hazier in the sequel because it was played so straight and the story was so good. Max 3 looks set to continue in the same vein: wildly overwrought but played straight, resulting in a "serious" exercise in storytelling. It's the nature of the game. Complaining about it is like complaining about the sky being blue.

Senor Smoke21

May 23, 2008
DAT MUSIC.
I've bought the pre-purchase deal on steam so I could replay the first 2. Oh god the nostalgia.
I'm pretty hopeful that this one will be a decent sequel.