Interactive Kinect Ads Coming to Xbox This Fall

Hevva

Shipwrecked, comatose, newsie
Aug 2, 2011
Interactive Kinect Ads Coming to Xbox This Fall

Microsoft's "NUads" will soon be released to the public.

"for a while [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/111214-Microsoft-Shows-Off-Interactive-Kinect-Ads]. Marketing types worldwide will be pleased to hear that this week, having fine-tuned these hand-wavy 30 second commercial spots and gained a few advertisers, Microsoft has announced that it intends to launch the NUads on Xbox this fall.

Microsoft Advertising released this video [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXXoajzmOdU], which shows NUads from Unilever and Toyota in action, as part of its announcement. We see commercials asking viewers questions which they then respond to by hovering their cursors over an answer. An old man eats some curtains made of pizza for reasons best known to the Toyota advert within which he appears to reside. No ground shakes.

Marketing managers sound predictably pleased about the advent of the NUad. Those marketers include Ross Honey, the general manager of Xbox Live Entertainment and advertising. "NUads marks the beginning of a new era for TV advertising. It delivers the one thing traditional TV advertising is missing - engagement," said Honey. "We developed NUads to breathe new life into the standard 30-second spot. With NUads, brands can get real-time feedback from audiences, making TV advertising actionable for the first time."

There's no word yet on whether or not these interactive ads will appear during ads could change in the future [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/116941-TV-Style-Commercials-Coming-to-Xbox-Live] (they might start offering you prizes for waving your hands at them, for example).

That's about all there is for now, but expect to hear more once the NUads start popping up on homescreens. Could you be able to skip an ad [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Mirror_%28TV_series%29#2._.2215_Million_Merits.22] in exchange for Tweeting its contents? Could a careless arm wave end up in you alerting all of your Facebook contacts to how much you totally love watching septuagenarians eat window-mounted pizza? Horror, horror!

Source: Engadget [http://www.engadget.com/2012/06/15/interactive-nuads-xbox-360-kinect/]

Rainboq

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2009
And this is yet another reason why my natal sits in the corner, collecting dust.

Flailing Escapist

Apr 13, 2011
Wow, they are really happy about this. Too bad nobody fucking likes ads. This reminds me of those Hulu ads that ask you how you want to experience the commercial, which I never click on because, you know, fuck ads.

Uber Waddles

May 13, 2010
I guess the $200+ pricetag for the console, $60 I pay for new games, and $5-$15, depending on what package I choose, for a PREMIUM service thats already littered with ad's doesn't qualify me to just turn the ad's off. Instead, we get treated to MORE ads. On a premium service we pay a premium to use. Because thats good consumerism right there guys

When did it come okay to put ads into a paying service? Yeah, they're making them 'fun' for the kinect, but it doesnt explain why they have to be there in the first place. A major plus for most content you have to pay for is the stripping of ads.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
The only interaction I want with adverts is to either close them or change the channel when they come on.

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
Uber Waddles said:
When did it come okay to put ads into a paying service? Yeah, they're making them 'fun' for the kinect, but it doesnt explain why they have to be there in the first place. A major plus for most content you have to pay for is the stripping of ads.
I'm not sure, other than some time in the '80s. I know it was before CNN made a debut, because I remember ads for CNN coming.

Cable television used to be a premium service free of advertisements. It was a way to opt out of advertising by paying a premium. Broadcast television had ads, cable didn't.

Rainboq said:
And this is yet another reason why my natal sits in the corner, collecting dust.
I've been planning on getting one myself, but not for my 360. I could make good use of the SDK.

luvd1

Jan 25, 2010
That's what's been missing in my life, not being "inactive" with ads. And people wonder why they haven't seen me on live for ages. Fek off Microsoft.

Mar 30, 2010
Wow, so those adverts that I never watch are being revolutionised by an interface system I don't own? Coooool!!

Jeez, I can't even work up the enthusiasm to make a decent sarcastic comment.

Loop Stricken

Covered in bees!
Jun 17, 2009
Grouchy Imp said:
Wow, so those adverts that I never watch are being revolutionised by an interface system I don't own? Coooool!!

You certainly worked up the enthusiasm to post about something that doesn't affect you though, eh?

OT: Yay, interactive adverts. More things to be bothered by/aggrevated with/ignoring.

Keslen

I don't care about titles.
Jan 23, 2010
They think these polls will be actionable? That's actually hilarious. Even if they make damn sure to include a separate "I don't care, just get rid of this asinine annoyance" option in every single poll, that's all any response will ever actually mean within this kind of procedure.

Mar 30, 2010
Loop Stricken said:
Grouchy Imp said:

You certainly worked up the enthusiasm to post about something that doesn't affect you though, eh?

OT: Yay, interactive adverts. More things to be bothered by/aggrevated with/ignoring.
Oh darn, you've done gone figured me out. Fine, I admit it - this has to be the biggest marketing hammer blow of all time, and the mere thought of being able to affect the way in which products are presented to me has me as giddy as a little girl. There, you've made me say it, in front of the entire Internet.

I hope you're happy with yourself.

Absolutionis

Sep 18, 2008
So what happens to people that have an XBox but no Kinect?
I don't understand how this thing is meant to sell more of the somewhat-struggling Kinect.

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
Hmm... so Microsoft doesn't want me to go online ever. Excellent. When my gold membership runs out, I am just going to stop going online. I don't really care for online multiplayer. It has never been a draw for me, just a bonus. Now I get punished for it. Okay... you win. I won't play online anymore.

PS... Valve thanks you for freeing up more of my disposable income.

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
Rainboq said:
Natal...reminds me of a time when what is now called Kinect seemed like an intriguing prospect (likely because we didn't really know anything about it).

But really Microsoft? You actually think your typical 360/even KInect user will be remotely interested in this? For maximum disconnect between your pitch and actual audience, you should have plugged this at E3 as well.

Chris Mosher

Nov 28, 2011
I am even more glad now that I paid for a blue ray player for my netflix instead of paying a premium to MS. Now all I do with MS is fire up Fall out New Vegas and ignore the rest of this shit. WTF is paying to view adds??????