Square Enix Makes Bid For Eidos

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Square Enix Makes Bid For Eidos

Warner Bros [http://www.square-enix.com/eng/index.html].

According to reports [http://www.mcvuk.com/news/32578/Square-makes-late-Eidos-bid-but-Warner-in-pole-position], both Warner Bros and Square will make rival acquisition bids for control of Eidos later this month. Experts, however, are already pegging Warner Bros as the winner of the stand off. It already owns 20 percent of Eidos, and would only have to spend $30 million to take a controlling stake.

Despite Warner Bros' apparent upper hand in this affair, Square seems to be showing that it's not playing around, either. Global president Yoichi Wada has visited the studios of Hitman [http://www.hitmanbloodmoney.com/] developer IO Interactive in Denmark already, and plans to visit the UK soon to push things forward. "I think Warners will still win, but it's very interesting that Square have expressed this late interest," an insider told MCV. "They are clearly looking for Western talent."

Square could also opt to only acquire key portions of Eidos, like particular franchises or studios, though it seems that Eidos shareholders would prefer a total buyout to maximize their gains.

Recent times have found the Japanese juggernaut struggling to expand its success to the global market. Titles like Deus Ex [http://www.finalfantasyxii.com/] could mean significant progress in the Western world for Square.

SinisterDeath

Nov 6, 2006
Sweet if square goes through with this hopefully they re-examine the legacy of kain series that got dumped on by lara croft. >_<

However if warner gets ahold of it they could easilly make lok a movie. Both are better than nothing.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
Hmmm... odd, Square continues to try and become the EA of Japan and stops making the games that we loved them for in the first place.

Good going Square /sarcasm.

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
Isn't Eidos the same company that screwed up Square's attempt to bring Final Fantasy VII and VIII to the PC? Why would they want them?

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
thebobmaster said:
crimson5pheonix said:
thebobmaster said:
crimson5pheonix said:
Tomb Raider with turn based combat?
Or with Japanese stereotypes.
Main villian is a bishi?
With a sword larger than his body.
Trying to destroy the world through an obscure plot that amounts to a slow death trap that he walks away from and assumes it works?

Nov 28, 2007
crimson5pheonix said:
Trying to destroy the world through an obscure plot that amounts to a slow death trap that he walks away from and assumes it works?
I said Japanese stereotypes, not Bond villains.

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
thebobmaster said:
crimson5pheonix said:
I said Japanese stereotypes, not Bond villains.
There's overlap between the two.

Aiden Rebirth

Nov 19, 2008
wasn't there a tomb raider anime, it be neat to take that art style and infuse that in to tomb raider, but dear god not into hitman, please no.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
I'm voting for Square because I want to see what they're gonna do. They've been making moves lately, and anything that shakes up the industry has a good chance of being GOOD.

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
crimson5pheonix said:
thebobmaster said:
crimson5pheonix said:
Tomb Raider with turn based combat?
Or with Japanese stereotypes.
Main villian is a bishi?
bishi? you a girl? although you did say a bishi and not your bishi....

Anyhu if Warner buys them they will run any good franchises they have into the ground. Squeenix buys them they wont even know what the hell to do with them.

But I just want a company that will get Freedom Fighters 2 released, god the first was an amazing game. And also hopefully fires some people and just funnels enough money into the hands of Warren Spector and Harvey Smith so they can come to Eidos and actually make this third Deus Ex live up to the ridiculous expectations that the first game has made for it (and make it not suck various parts of donkey anatomy).

cleverlymadeup

Mar 7, 2008
SinisterDeath said:
Sweet if square goes through with this hopefully they re-examine the legacy of kain series that got dumped on by lara croft. >_<
i think Silicon Knights might have something to say about that, since they're the developers

i think this might be a good thing, maybe square will have eidos make some good games for a change