Atlus Explains Persona 4 Arena Region Lock

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Atlus Explains Persona 4 Arena Region Lock

Persona 4 Arena will be region locked so Atlus can squeeze more cash out of Japanese gamers.

The news that the European and North American versions of Persona 4 Arena would be the first PS3 title to be region locked [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/trailers/5878-Persona-4-Arena-E3-Trailer] was met with confusion from fans of the developer. Atlus has traditionally always been friendly with the import market, as western gamers desperate for their JRPG fix help drive sales for the publisher's more niche titles. Many worried that Atlus' decision to prevent Japanese gamers from importing western versions of Persona 4 Arena could set a "dangerous and unnecessary precedent." Atlus insists that isn't the case.

According to a recent statement from the publisher, aside from the region lock, the two versions of the game are identical. The North American version features dual language support and is launching only two weeks after its Japanese counterpart. Therein lies the problem. Games are notably cheaper in the West due to the lowered value of the Japanese Yen, and Atlus doesn't want Japanese gamers waiting extra two weeks and importing the cheaper Western version.

So, Japanese gamers are definitely getting the shaft on this one, but at least Atlus are being honest about it. The full press release can be read below.

The last week brought with it news that Persona°4 Arena™ would effectively become the first PlayStation°3 system game to be region-locked. We can today confirm that this is true; the game will be region-locked in all its respective territories of release.

As we've ascertained from your impassioned responses online, this is obviously a tremendous frustration for many fans. We understand the various perspectives on the matter. Those who fear this is a slippery slope, the beginning of a dangerous and unnecessary precedent. Those who import foreign hardware for a multitude of reasons and expect to be unlimited in their software selection. Those who aren't necessarily affected by this issue, but who are principally opposed to it. We are not blind to these concerns and we pledge to grow ever more informed as to exactly what our fans want. It should be added that we were completely unprepared for the force with which the community communicated their disapproval.

There are, however, a few points to clarify. This is NOT the beginning of a new ATLUS policy, nor do we view it as a precedent or a slippery slope. If anything, your determination and dedication to what you believe in has certainly stood in the face of that. This is an isolated case, a situation precipitated by a number of factors, some of which are simply out of our North American hands. Moreover, and perhaps there is no way to convince our fans of this considering the magnitude of the betrayal many are feeling, but we are not doing this out of malice or a desire to control. Allow us to explain.

Persona 4 Arena achieves a number of triumphs for our North American publishing house. For years, our fans have asked us to include dual language audio in our games. Finally, with P4 Arena, we were able to deliver on that desire and include the exact same content as the Japanese release for our North American fans. Moreover, our North American community is often forced to wait months for a localized release (a plight our friends across the Atlantic can relate to). Again, with P4 Arena, we're able to release within two weeks of Japan. We pushed hard for these things. We know our fans want them--well really, EXPECT them--and we did our best to get as much for our release as possible.

The unforeseen consequence in all of this was that we had a version of our biggest game of the year releasing within a couple weeks in two territories, both identical in content, but at radically different price points. Importing, as great as it is for gamers who otherwise can't get access to a title, can also cannibalize the performance of a title in one territory to the benefit of another. While we're all one big ATLUS family, the reality is that the dramatic difference between the Yen and the Dollar makes for a dramatic difference in price. So the decision was made, perhaps at the expense of some of our fans, clearly at the frustration of many, to region-lock Persona 4 Arena.

For many of you, there is no explanation that resonates, no justification that atones for this fact. We can only endeavor to earn back your confidence and, to learn from your arguments. We absolutely recognize the fear that this is the beginning of a trend. We in no way view it as such. Please also keep in mind that the game's excellent online multiplayer is global, a fact that is in no way affected by the region-lock. Players can compete against fighters from all territories.

A tremendous team of talented developers and artists poured their blood, sweat, and tears into Persona 4 Arena, and every reaction we've ever received to the game has shown that those efforts are readily apparent. The decision to region-lock P4 Arena was a business one, one that has very clearly affected how many perceive the project, but we ask you to please not overlook the exceptional efforts of the people behind the game and to work with us through constructive dialogue.

Thank you.

Penguinplayer

Mar 31, 2009
Well, at least they are honest.

Don't care, still going to buy it for PS3.

Also, is there going to be an european version, or are poor europeans going to be locked away from an excellent game yet again? I am not from Europe but it would be interesting to learn how this problem affects europeans.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Makes sense. Atlus is a business after all.

Dresos

Jun 17, 2011
I guess "Understandable" is the word that best describes this situation.

MasochisticAvenger

Nov 7, 2011
You know what? I like this:

This is what we're doing, this is why we're doing it, we know some people are going to be annoyed by this decision and for that we apologize.

Yeah it sucks seeing as how I live in Australia so I'll have to pay out the ass to get this probably a year after everyone else gets it, but at least they've actually offered a valid explanation.

Not a lot of companies would be willing to do that.

Deadyawn

Jan 25, 2011
And that, ladies and gentlemen, is how you handle a pr backlash. It wont make everyone happy but anyone who will continue to resent them for their decision would be unlikely to be persuaded any other way. At the very least it should pacify most of the fanbase.

I don't really play stuff from Atlus but I respect the sincerity here.

newdarkcloud

Aug 2, 2010
I understand, but then that leads to the question of why the same game, released in two different nations, have different price points? Other fighting games are released w/o the need for region lock, and from Japan. I'm asking strictly because I'm curious. I don't think Atlus intends to milk their audience.

Clearing the Eye

Jun 6, 2012
EA does it: "lol EA and money, hur hur. I hate them so much."

Atlus does it: "Can't fault them--they are a business, after all. Makes sense."

>_>

SachielOne

Former Escapecraft Op
Aug 10, 2009
newdarkcloud said:
I understand, but then that leads to the question of why the same game, released in two different nations, have different price points?
Japan has always had higher prices for their entertainment media. And be thankful it went this way. The other possible option (used by the Gundam Unicorn Blu-Rays) was to raise the US price to Japan levels. We would not have enjoyed that.

loa

Jan 28, 2012
Yeah and this specific game is a special case that requires such measures for the very first time in the history of ps3 games because... no other game featured japanese voice tracks? Yeah, no.
Is asuras wrath region locked? That's the exact same "problem" after all since it comes with multiple languages too.
Nope, that hardly justifies it.

But at least they're honest and don't try some transparent PR bullshit.

MammothBlade

It's not that I LIKE you b-baka!
Oct 12, 2011
This is NOT the beginning of a new ATLUS policy, nor do we view it as a precedent or a slippery slope.
You don't want to commit yourselves to saying something like that. Unless you're suggesting that minimal release delays and identical versions are a one-off too. So whilst it's a heartfelt statement I don't know about the more subtle implications of this.

SachielOne

Former Escapecraft Op
Aug 10, 2009
DVS BSTrD said:
But WHY has it always been higher? Is it the same shaft that Australia got stuck up it's ass?
There are a large number of factors that contribute to this. Some of those include a strong yen, high labor and raw materials costs, Japanese culture, and about six to twelve layers of intermediaries (some or all of whom are working together to drive up the price) between the manufacturer and the end consumer. The full explanation is quite complex, and would require far more knowledge than I am able to pull up with a series of quick Google searches. Suffice it to say that this is a deep, dark rabbit hole.

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
Somethin is goin to have to give based off of this though. If the full dual language support and quick release in multiple territories keeps up for their later titles they will absolutely have to keep region lockin games unless this backlash has persuaded them otherwise. If they don't keep the region lockin, then they'll have to start pushin back the dates of their future NA releases to compensate.

Kinda sucks, but meh. At least they're honest about it.

Clearing the Eye said:
EA does it: "lol EA and money, hur hur. I hate them so much."

Atlus does it: "Can't fault them--they are a business, after all. Makes sense."

>_>
I think I missed the part where EA told us exactly why they were pullin a dick move with a logical explanation instead of makin up shit on the spot or outright lyin about the reason.

Quiotu

Mar 7, 2008
Like with a lot of others, I give Atlus a lot of respect for this. Say what you will about Atlus... you may not like their games, and I've honestly not liked their pricepoint for DD games until recently, but they do tend to not bullshit you. They listen to their fanbase and do their best to explain things without business lingo or smoke and mirrors.

Atlus isn't EA or Activision... hell, they're not even Capcom. Atlus is basically the THQ of Japan, except they haven't lost their way lately. Atlus publishes niche, different games that require specific marketing and shipping tactics to profit from. They do this extremely well... them and NIS are the best at selling low budget original games for profit. Sadly this means that their bottom line is different, and they can't lower prices like giant publishers.

Basically they're stingy with prices, but I understand why. And they make sure their fans understand why as well. So if this is what it takes for Atlus to continue giving us these quirky Japanese titles here, then I'm okay with this.

newdarkcloud

Aug 2, 2010
SachielOne said:
DVS BSTrD said:
But WHY has it always been higher? Is it the same shaft that Australia got stuck up it's ass?
There are a large number of factors that contribute to this. Some of those include a strong yen, high labor and raw materials costs, Japanese culture, and about six to twelve layers of intermediaries (some or all of whom are working together to drive up the price) between the manufacturer and the end consumer. The full explanation is quite complex, and would require far more knowledge than I am able to pull up with a series of quick Google searches. Suffice it to say that this is a deep, dark rabbit hole.
I can accept this. Thank you for your explanation. All is right with the world.