Atlus Explains Persona 4 Arena Region Lock

SuperSuperSuperGuy

Jun 19, 2010
It doesn't really affect me. I'm going to buy it anyway. However, I really do appreciate Atlus giving us their reasons for region-locking. Sure, it may be for the money, but at least they're honest about it. Plus, it's not like they do things like this often, y'know? It's understandable for a company to need to do a little bit of money-grubbing once in a while. To do it often and unnecessarily (day 1 DLC, on disc DLC, etc.) is a different story.

I really like how Atlus gave us a well thought out written apology when they could have just, y'know, not have. It's a nice gesture.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
It's nice when people are as open as that, sometimes you dont need to hide decisions and mask everything with business jargon

antipunt

Jan 3, 2009
SachielOne said:
newdarkcloud said:
I understand, but then that leads to the question of why the same game, released in two different nations, have different price points?
Japan has always had higher prices for their entertainment media. And be thankful it went this way. The other possible option (used by the Gundam Unicorn Blu-Rays) was to raise the US price to Japan levels. We would not have enjoyed that.
Hmm...interesting, I never thought about it this way. Especially when considering that other post explaining why Japan's costs exceed ours.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Well, at least this time I didn't have to explain Arbitrage.
Last time region-locks came up, there was a lot of outrage.

infinity_turtles

Apr 17, 2010
loa said:
Yeah and this specific game is a special case that requires such measures for the very first time in the history of ps3 games because... no other game featured japanese voice tracks? Yeah, no.
Is asuras wrath region locked? That's the exact same "problem" after all since it comes with multiple languages too.
Nope, that hardly justifies it.

But at least they're honest and don't try some transparent PR bullshit.
From my understanding it includes the option for Japanese text too. If what I've heard is correct, identical game isn't an exaggeration, which in terms of Japanese games coming over here, may well be entirely unique so far.

Moromillas

May 25, 2010
Also, this 50 minute powerpoint presentation details why this game should be region locked.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
at the end of the day, even with the price difference, at least you can be fairly confident that the game is worth the money

with EA, you can expect to be jerked around for more cash regardless of the situation

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Clearing the Eye said:
EA does it: "lol EA and money, hur hur. I hate them so much."

Atlus does it: "Can't fault them--they are a business, after all. Makes sense."

>_>
Seconded to a degree.

Really, even if EA did the exact same thing, with the exact same heartfelt explanation, exact same tone, etc... people would still ***** to them.

That being said, Atlus has never really done anything to deserve that sort of backlash, as is unfortunately the case with EA. We can accept Atlus doing this because, well, they hardly ever do something like this and they are definitely a smaller company so they could use any cash they can get.

Shinsei-J

Prunus Girl is best girl!
Apr 28, 2011
Sounds fair and rational.
Jumplion said:
Really, even if EA did the exact same thing, with the exact same heartfelt explanation, exact same tone, etc... people would still ***** to them.
I'd say "That's perfectly reasonable, did they hire someone new?"

Meight08

*Insert Funny Title*
Feb 16, 2011
Clearing the Eye said:
EA does it: "lol EA and money, hur hur. I hate them so much."

Atlus does it: "Can't fault them--they are a business, after all. Makes sense."

>_>
Well one of those answers is by a retard, And one of them is by a realist.

lapan

Jan 23, 2009
Will the online mode be region locked too, or can i still play with my friends over the ocean?

May 25, 2010
lapan said:
Will the online mode be region locked too, or can i still play with my friends over the ocean?
I'm guessing you didn't read the big wall of text. Online multiplayer won't be region locked, you can play with anyone from any region.

lapan

Jan 23, 2009
GeneticallyModifiedDucks said:
lapan said:
I'm guessing you didn't read the big wall of text. Online multiplayer won't be region locked, you can play with anyone from any region.
Must have glanced over that, thanks for the info.

GamingAwesome1

May 22, 2009
Well, that's kind of crap but they do make a fairly persuasive argument, I do wish region coding would bugger off though.

Ah well, I'm just glad Atlus is even willing to bring these kinds of games overseas with such gusto, I think getting this game out so quickly to Western audiences makes up for this and the fact that they totally fucked over Europe with Catherine's release date which is the main reason I didn't buy that game because it totally slipped my mind by the time it came out over here.

Still gonna buy this on day one regardless.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
shinsei-J said:
Sounds fair and rational.
Jumplion said:
I'd say "That's perfectly reasonable, did they hire someone new?"
Yeah, I doubt that. I mean, ideally, yeah, you'd say that (I hope I would to), but most likely you and everyone else would react sourly to EA doing this because of their previous history.