Tera Guild Leaders Kill Their Own for Political Gain

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Tera Guild Leaders Kill Their Own for Political Gain

The fight to be Vanarch in Bluehole Studio's Tera isn't exactly what anyone would call fair.

Being Vanarch in Fantasy MMO Tera is a big deal. Even though their term of office lasts three weeks, Vanarchs in this world have a lot of in-game authority with all the guild bennies that implies. Unfortunately politics on Tera's North American PvP servers is about as honest as Tammany Hall, and some guilds are farming their alts for extra points.

The exploit is breathtaking in its simplicity. In order to even have a shot your candidate has to be a level 50 leader of a level three guild and pay a hefty fee, which includes a non-refundable point award payment. Once that hurdle is jumped, the next step is to create a farm guild out of your guild's alts, and feed them into the mincing machine for extra points. Points can also be earned from other actions - say, by doing deeds in the game world that earn praise from your fellow players -but kill farming has proven by far the easiest road to political victory. The points are then used by the Vanarch as currency, to pay for pretty much anything the Vanarch wants to do. They fund both the political campaign itself, and whatever policies the Vanarch chooses to carry out after the campaign is over.

So long as the PvP guilds farm their points, not only are they more likely to be able to afford to run for the Vanarch slot, they're also going to be more powerful when they get it. In the Tera game world Vanarchs get to set tax rates, turn special vendor services on and off, and everyone in the Vanarch's guild gets special tricked-out speed mounts. Want to adjust the PvP settings on the server? Want to add special skill trainers or buff your clerics? Talk to the Vanarch; he has the power to get it done.

It could be argued that this aspect of the game is a natural outgrowth of the Vanarch system. The official guide published by the developer says that "accepting bribes for voting is nice, but it's much more fun to do the bribing, especially if it means winning a vanarchy." So political victory in Tera isn't supposed to be clean; but whether or not the developer intended for things to get this dirty is an open question.

Sources: Kotaku [http://tera-forums.enmasse.com/forums/general-discussion/topics/Kill-Trading-for-Vanarch]

saintdane05

Aug 2, 2011
inb4 sexist armor.

OT: So, there are bribes and cheating to get elected. How is this different from real life, again?

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
Vanarchy is so pointless for the Guild involved. The only person that benefits is the Vanarch himself. A horse that ran at 290 instead of 280 is garbage (it amounts to about a horse's length lead after a 1 minute run)

Vanarch guilds still pay taxes in the zone they rule over. As well, Guildies have to do all the work to get the points needed for the Vanarch to rule. So much work for a stupid horse D:<

No taxes for Guild mates of the vanarch dammit!

Also, women in the game are basically naked for all for all intents and purposes from the end game gear. Not that i have a problem with that. xD

oldtaku

Jan 7, 2011
Seems like a great metaphor for our locked in two party system. The only big difference is every four years we feed the Vanarch to the grinder too, though he may get a mulligan.

Paragon Fury

The Loud Shadow
Jan 23, 2009
While I can see this being an intended part of the game, the problem is on PvP servers, the griefing guilds (the asshats who would normally have 0 chance at a Vanarchy) use this to beat other guilds out then enforce their asshat policies.

As for the armor, people keep missing a few things; though I can't blame them since Bluehole and En Masse keep using the Castanic woman for their ads.

The armor your character wears is far more dependent on class than anything else. With the exception of the Castanics, whose entire race both male and female is highly sexualized (and to a lesser extent the High Elves), female characters, in particular those in the Warrior, Lancer and Slayer class all have appropriately huge and protective armor, particularly for high-end gear, just like their male counter-parts. The magic classes and Archers are the ones with the more revealing armor - and some of the Beserker armor can be revealing too.

koroem

Jul 12, 2010
This was an oversight in the design of the system. The senior producer for EME has already stated it will be fixed and action will be taken:

To quote Minea.

"Using another guild composed of alternate characters to farm GvG points for the vanarch election is not an acceptable way to become a vanarch and we take this matter seriously. We are investigating this issue and will take appropriate action."

To add further clarify, we are going to continue to iterate on the GvG system and plug holes where needed. I have seen many good ideas of how to 'fix it' but none are bullet proof. In the meantime we are going to take action and reset points to 0 if you are kill trading with alts.
http://tera-forums.enmasse.com/forums/general-discussion/topics/Kill-Trading-for-Vanarch?page=14#post-570492

kortin

Mar 18, 2011
Valdric_gundam said:
Sounds like Politics in a nut shell.
I figured I'd help you out with that. ;P

Hmm, really not sure if I like the system, but it doesn't really affect me because I'm pretty much done with pay to play games and will not be playing TERA unless this changes.

draythefingerless

Jul 10, 2010
EVE Online has been doing this and much worser stuff and more complex too for much longer. Its quite interesting. quite quite interesting.

evilneko

Fall in line!
Jun 16, 2011
Buretsu said:
Meanwhile, EVE Online players are rolling their eyes over how wimpy and nice these people are.
QFT.

DTWolfwood said:
Also, women in the game are basically naked for all extensive purposes from the end game gear. Not that i have a problem with that. xD
Rather off topic. :p Also I think you meant "for all intents and purposes." :p

knight4light

Jun 24, 2011
Buretsu said:
Meanwhile, EVE Online players are rolling their eyes over how wimpy and nice these people are.
this is true. but *shrugs* we eve players cant always hog the infamous publicity.

draythefingerless said:
EVE Online has been doing this and much worser stuff and more complex too for much longer. Its quite interesting. quite quite interesting.
more games need to be so real that stuff like this can happen more often. makes it fun. Good going tera! :D

BodomBeachChild

Nov 12, 2009
Buretsu said:
I bet you get quoted a lot today haha. "Steal all your corps BPOs and ISK and we'll take ya in" -pilot hands in stuffs- BAM pod killed. Life in EVE.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
evilneko said:
Buretsu said:
QFT.

DTWolfwood said:
Also, women in the game are basically naked for all extensive purposes from the end game gear. Not that i have a problem with that. xD
Rather off topic. :p Also I think you meant "for all intents and purposes." :p
danke and it was to comment 2 ^

Apr 28, 2008
As others have said, feels a bit like EVE.

Not that that's a bad thing. I love hearing stories about all the shenanigans that come out of that game. One more game doing this means more stories. Sweet!