Resident Evil 6 Has Four Hours of Cutscenes

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008

Resident Evil 6 will have four times the talking of its predecessors.

According to the British Board of Film Classification, Resident Evil 6 has precisely 4 hours and 15 minutes of cutscenes. It also features, rather unsurprisingly, "strong violence and gore," earning it an "18" rating, the equivalent of a "Mature" rating in NA.

For comparison, Resident Evils 5 and 4 clocked up about an hour of non-interactive talky-time each, and I'm fairly certain it's possible to complete the original Resident Evil in less than four hours. The four hour figure is made less daunting, however, by news that it'll be spread across a fairly substantial campaign. Each of the game's three separate campaigns are only slightly shorter than the single storyline featured in Resident Evil 5.

Each of the three campaigns focuses on a different two-person team; Leon S. Kennedy and Helena Harper; Chris Redfield and Piers Nivans; and Jake Muller and former sailor suit-clad dead weight, Sherry Birkin. Once those campaigns are finished, a fourth, featuring an as of yet unnamed protagonist, will be unlocked. Personally, I'm hoping for Carlos Oliveira, who basically fell out of the franchise's continuity following his part in Resident Evil 3: Nemesis.

Resident Evil 6 is scheduled for release on October 2nd for Xbox 360 and PS3. There's no date for the PC release just yet.

Source: IGN [http://ca.ign.com/articles/2012/07/09/resident-evil-6-features-four-hours-of-cutscenes]

LaughingAtlas

Nov 18, 2009
If memory serves, MGS4 had about 8 hours of cutscene. 8 hours.
[sub]Eight? Eight? EEEEEEIIIGHT!?[/sub]

EDIT: OT: I wonder if it's like Threads of Fate with roughly the same campaign or as differed as Assignment Ada was back in RE4..

EDIT 2: Fuck! Ninja'd right away! xD

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
Like I needed another reason to pass on this game besides not liking the last two numbered iterations. The last thing the games need is more time spent talking about their convoluted and ridiculous story lines than the amount of time it would take me to play through any of the first three titles.

Vie

Nov 18, 2009
[Snakevoice] Resident Gear?! [/Snakevoice]

So long as they have the cutscene to gameplay ratio firmly in favour of gameplay, I don't have a problem with it. They won't, but you know, we can dream.

JokerboyJordan

Sep 6, 2009
Seeing as you can complete most Resident Evil games under 5 hours, this might seem like a large amount. If you speed run that it.
As long as it's spread equally over the three narratives then I couldn't care less really, although I probably won't pay attention to the Chris storyline anyway.

MortifiedPenguin

Not So Despicable
Jun 8, 2012
So Capcom are adding long cutscenes, cheesy dialogue and dodgy voice acting. Sounds familiar to me, but I can't for the life of me remember which other popular series developed by another company based in Japan this came from.

*scratched head*

Flailing Escapist

Apr 13, 2011
Are they serious? The campaign of RE5 was maybe 3 or 4 hours long and all of these are shorter?

When I want to get into reading, I read a goddamn book. I don't pick up some short stories and call it a day.

Frontastic

Aug 3, 2010
"As yet un-named"? I thought they already said the fourth one was going to be Ada's version of events?

Either way, this doesn't bug me too much seeing as the cutscenes (ok the Wesker cutscenes) were one of the few saving graces of RE5, it was about the only truly well-made part of that game. Still though, the short campaigns are little worrying although seeing as the videos of the Gears of Redfield section was making me yawn, I can live with that one at least being short.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
Didn't they learn anyhting from MGS? People want to play a game, not watch a movie... a lesson I don't think Square-Enix has fully learned yet...

Moontouched-Moogle

Nov 17, 2009
DVS BSTrD said:
... and how long is the actual game?
Grey Carter said:

Each of the game's three separate campaigns are only slightly shorter than the single storyline featured in Resident Evil 5... Once those campaigns are finished, a fourth, featuring an as of yet unnamed protagonist, will be unlocked.
There you go. Given that, in addition to four times as many cutscenes, there are 3 campaigns of similar length to RE5 with a fourth to be unlocked, I think it's fair to say the gameplay-to-cutscene ratio as a whole would also be similar to Reisdent Evil 5, so that tells you how long the "actual game" is. Unless one of the storylines is chock full of cutscenes for some reason whilst another barely has any, but I guess it would still average out when taken as a whole.

T'Generalissimo

Nov 9, 2008
Who in the world wants more talking in a Resident Evil game? I suppose it's more oppurtunity for unintentional comedy, but Resident Evil dialogue is typically a mind-breaking experience.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
Vie said:
So long as they have the cutscene to gameplay ratio firmly in favour of gameplay, I don't have a problem with it. They won't, but you know, we can dream.
I'm sure the game play will last longer than 4 hours, unless each campaign is only an hour long. I'm going to guess at least 4-6 hours for each of the three main campaigns, although that might be a bit optimistic.

Ninjamedic

Dec 8, 2009
Genuine Evil said:
Capcoms writing I?s usually on the same level as sonic the hedgehog slashfiction, so unless they are going for an intentionally retarded story like dead-rising 2 did I cant see this going well.

EDIT: also for your entertainment here is some Resident evil 1 voice acting
And if the 15 hours cut-scenes are anything like the start to Resi 1.....

Narm on toast, haven't had the good stuff in a long time.

OT: If the Leon campaign is anything like the REmake, I just may be sold on this.

Shakura Jolithion

Nov 9, 2009
For most of the early resident evil games, you can beat them in under 2~3 hours (record speedruns clock around 1h30m~2h for some of them), and *have* to beat 3 hours to unlock specials.
On the one hand I hope they have a good amount of gameplay proportional to the cut scenes. On the other hand, I'm disappointed that there aren't more games like Resident Evil used to be; like Parasite Eve and Silent Hill 1~3 (haven't played any others) where you could spend 20 hours on your first playthrough out of fear and wandering, but once you knew how to play the game and got a grip on the system, you could run through it in a much shorter timeframe and still have tons of fun. Plus lots of story hinted at and intrigue without needing a thousand cutscenes to tell it... A vague story told through documents and other pickups is sometimes more interesting than one told clearly through a bunch of cutscenes.

Like Resi5, I'll probably just find a friend who buys it and borrow it rather than purchasing, I'm sure it will be fun but there's something I miss about those old tank-style movement horror games...