The Last Story Finally Hits North America

kitsuta

<Clever Title Here>
Jan 10, 2011
The Last Story Finally Hits North America

Pre-order the long-awaited RPG from select retailers for an extra bonus.

As residents of one of the largest gaming markets - with only a handful of languages spoken over a huge area, to boot - North American gamers are understandably used to getting special treatment. Fans of foreign titles, like JRPGs, often get the English localization either months before or nearly simultaneously with other major markets, like Europe and poor Australia. This isn't the case for The Last Story though; the critically-acclaimed Wii game by Final Fantasy's ex-executive producer is officially hitting North American shores on August 14, 2012, almost six months after the Europe and Australian release back in February.

It's not all bad news though - local publisher XSEED Games is throwing in a limited edition of the $50 game for all early purchasers, which comes with a softcover art book and the all-important special-edition packaging. The edition is limited to the first - and possibly only - print of the game, although the number of copies XSEED Games plans to print is unknown. If you decide to pre-order to guarantee yourself a copy, you might consider picking it up from Amazon.com [http://www.amazon.com/The-Last-Story-Nintendo-Wii/dp/B007CSF3GO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1342104704&sr=8-1&keywords=last+story], EB Games Canada, or GameStop to get a bonus CD, which includes some of Nobou Uematsu's compositions from the game.

The game's presence in America may be attributable to Operation Rainfall, a vocal fan project which was originally formed to convince Nintendo of America to localize The Last Story along with two other RPGs. However, when Nintendo President of America CEO Reggie Fils-Aime also made it to America this April [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/115982-Nintendo-Confirms-The-Last-Story-for-North-America]. Whatever the case, supporters of the Operation and fans of JRPGs will be able to support the localization with their wallets next month.

Source: IGN [http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/07/11/the-last-story-north-american-release-date-announced]

Image Source: Giant Bomb [http://www.giantbomb.com/the-last-story/61-29904/all-images/52-406668/91kpebxpvql/51-2263682/]

Meight08

*Insert Funny Title*
Feb 16, 2011
Still wonder why they waste money on publishing a game like this in the us, The gamers over there are probably too busy playing cod or madden to bother with a game that doesn't include shooting and murder

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
This isn't the case for The Last Story though; the critically-acclaimed Wii game by Final Fantasy's ex-executive producer...
Wait a second.

A guy who worked on Final Fantasy went on to make a game called Last Story?

Is that a joke?

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
rolfwesselius said:
Still wonder why they waste money on publishing a game like this in the us, The gamers over there are probably too busy playing cod or madden to bother with a game that doesn't include shooting and murder
Cause people do want this. And Xseed is one of a few companies that goes "fuck mainstream".

Also, In before the haters.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Mmm that seen abit lacking compared to the UK/ European version of the limited edition since in that version you still get the artbook and aswell the CD soundtrack (not the full tracks mind you, just the guy favourite tracks) and a tin steelbook case cover.
However in saying so those aren't really worth it (the soundtracks are dull since there are better soundtracks out there like Xenoblade) as in my view the game isn't as great as it make out to be.

Clearing the Eye

Jun 6, 2012
I don't like that games like this one seems to be are called RPGs when they have all the narrative flexibility of Gears of War and the interactivity of movie. Is that indeed the case here?

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
nice, I'm sure this will make a lot of Wii owners happy
Zhukov said:
This isn't the case for The Last Story though; the critically-acclaimed Wii game by Final Fantasy's ex-executive producer...
Wait a second.

Is that a joke?
if it is, its a bad one, since, ya know, Last Story 2 is probably in the works XD

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
cursedseishi said:
Of course Reggie isn't going to say anything about Operation Rainfall, he was the one who said they'd have an important announcement regarding the whole thing, only to go "Yeah nope, no game for you lulz" on facebook, when that has been what they've been saying the entire time.

rolfwesselius said:
I play Call of Duty, Gears of War, AND Xenoblade. OOPS! Guess I broke your poor excuse for a broad, rather mentally-deficient, generalization!

I'll give you a D for effort though.
There are people who think we don't deserve these games because they're not the games THEY play.

Suicidejim

Jul 1, 2011
rolfwesselius said:
A) Silly generalization is silly

B) I'm going to go out on a limb here and assume the giant sword I can see in the concept art isn't for making oversized sandwiches.

OT: I like JRPGs, I like Nobuo Uematsu's music, I like this pre-order. Besides, if this is a response to Operation Rainfall, I should probably buy it out of principle, lest bad sales stop Japan from listening next time we ask for games to be localized for North America.

RandV80

Oct 1, 2009
Clearing the Eye said:
I don't like that games like this one seems to be are called RPGs when they have all the narrative flexibility of Gears of War and the interactivity of movie. Is that indeed the case here?
Refer to them as JRPG's then. 25 years ago Final Fantasy I was fairly similar to Ultima I and both were considered RPG's. From that point on however the Japanese console RPG's and Western computer RPG's took very different directions, where the latter was built in more of a D&D environment while the former took more influence from manga/anime. Since they've joined together on the last two console gens I can understand if there's some confusion when you call both "RPG's", but you can't just declare one something else when it has 25 years of history backing it up. This always comes up from time to time but that's about the easiest way you can explain the distinction.

Anyways, looks like some great timing, as I'm just finishing up my 100+ hour playthrough of Xenoblade... can't believe I've put that much time into the game. And ironically while I absolutely love the game I don't really care much for all the time sink extra stuff you can do, but they've made it just enticing enough that my OCD nature kicks in and compels me to do [/i]everything (or at least Colony 6 reconstruction + extra skill trees). Most games I wouldn't bother.

Clearing the Eye

Jun 6, 2012
RandV80 said:
Clearing the Eye said:
Refer to them as JRPG's then. 25 years ago Final Fantasy I was fairly similar to Ultima I and both were considered RPG's. From that point on however the Japanese console RPG's and Western computer RPG's took very different directions, where the latter was built in more of a D&D environment while the former took more influence from manga/anime. Since they've joined together on the last two console gens I can understand if there's some confusion when you call both "RPG's", but you can't just declare one something else when it has 25 years of history backing it up. This always comes up from time to time but that's about the easiest way you can explain the distinction.

Anyways, looks like some great timing, as I'm just finishing up my 100+ hour playthrough of Xenoblade... can't believe I've put that much time into the game. And ironically while I absolutely love the game I don't really care much for all the time sink extra stuff you can do, but my OCD nature compels me to do everything.
But if all you are doing is pushing a set of actors from cutscene to cutscene, clicking what attack you want which lifeless mannequin to perform, why call it any form of roleplaying game? The most actual decision making or player agency in the narrative of these things is the rare time you're given an A or B option--and again, it's fucking rare for them to ever do it. You don't get to decide what your character is, how they think, feel, act or develop and you have zero influence on the world around you.

I couldn't care less if people like them--they can play whatever they want. Hell, I don't even dislike them. But why call them something they aren't? They might have once been, but they sure as hell aren't now. Calling them roleplaying games is the same as calling a movie with a menu an RPG. It doesn't make them bad or shame people that like them. It's just... they aren't roleplaying games. What's so bad about being called an adventure game instead?

Scrustle

Apr 30, 2011
I need to get back in to this game. I was having fun with it but it kind of got neglected for other things like Zelda and Skyrim.

bakan

Jun 17, 2011
Lunar Templar said:
Zhukov said:
Wait a second.

Is that a joke?
if it is, its a bad one, since, ya know, Last Story 2 is probably in the works XD
Actually, Final Fantasy (I) was Squaresofts last try, too.
As it was their last chance to stay in business.

Furioso

Jun 16, 2009
Well, the only thing I know about this game is that it is from Japan and is called "The Last Story" but I thought Xenoblade Chronicles was fantastic, so I can only hope all the Operation Rainfall games are as good

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
bakan said:
Lunar Templar said:
Zhukov said:
Wait a second.

Is that a joke?
Actually, Final Fantasy (I) was Squaresofts last try, too.
As it was their last chance to stay in business.
i know, doesn't mean there won't be a Last Story 2 though :p

DrunkOnEstus

In the name of Harman...
May 11, 2012
I feel I need to clarify something here. Final Fantasy is called that because it was Squaresoft's last game that they had the finances to create. It was a wild success, and since it was their flagship franchise at that point they created sequels for it carrying the same name, regardless of the paradox of attaching numbers to the title.

The last Story is likely to be Sakaguchi's last game period is he plans on retiring from game development. It is somehwat of a callback to his roots of saving Squaresoft from bankruptcy with a game who's name represented finality, as well as a reference to it possibly being "the last story" he will tell through video games.

Side note: I am excited as HELL if the mastery of Lost Odyssey carries over to this and has grown.

Penguinplayer

Mar 31, 2009
Clearing the Eye said:
But if all you are doing is pushing a set of actors from cutscene to cutscene, clicking what attack you want which lifeless mannequin to perform, why call it any form of roleplaying game? The most actual decision making or player agency in the narrative of these things is the rare time you're given an A or B option--and again, it's fucking rare for them to ever do it. You don't get to decide what your character is, how they think, feel, act or develop and you have zero influence on the world around you.
By the way, I played this game and it's a specially egregious case of the "A or B" choosing, because the game let you choose between two options at certain times, but if you choose "wrong" the main character says he can't do that and you have to choose again. Makes me wonder why the hell the developers bothered putting the choices.

Oh well, it was a nice game, I hope it sells well.

Edit

Oh shit, I fucked up the quote, what did I do!?

Edit the Second

There, I fixed it.