"Shag A Gamer" Cuts to the Chase

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
"Shag A Gamer" Cuts to the Chase

A new U.K. dating site makes it easier than ever for gamers to get some online action.

Shag A Gamer is not a dating site. Dating sites, in theory at least, are for people looking for dates. Shag A Gamer is for people who want to shag. And "shag," as anyone who's ever watched an Austin Powers movie can tell you, is an English colloquialism for doing the nasty. The horizontal mambo. Chesterfield rugby. Playing hide the pickle. Taking ol' One-Eye to the optometrist. Riding the skin boat to Tuna Town.

I'm talking about bumping uglies, people. I'm talking about sex.

Date A Gamer [http://uk.shagagamer.com], after they noticed that a lot of members were using the site for drive-by banging rather than actual dating. "It got us thinking that, perhaps by providing a platform where geeks and gamers over the age of 18 could arrange to meet up and get it on, we could help people who may feel uneasy in social situations, find someone and get some action," Date A Gamer boss Tom Thurlow told Eurogamer. "People were using the Date a Gamer site to meet up for sex anyway, but this way they have a space where they can do this more openly in an arena they are comfortable in, in other words, online."

"We're all adults and by using this platform all members know what they are there for and the activity is far more transparent," he added.

That actually sounds pretty reasonable - "gamers get urges too," as Thurlow put it - but I'm not sure what benefit there is in targeting "gamers" beyond a certain degree of market differentiation. Not that the gamer demographic is particularly well defined for either shagging or dating; Thurlow acknowledged that the Date A Gamer database was built using a site called "Global Personals" that scans the rosters of existing dating sites for members who express specific interests in "computers" and "computer gaming." The Shag A Gamer database will be bulked up the same way, he said, but limited to those who also express a desire for "no-strings rendezvous."

But this kind of fun doesn't come cheaply. Browsing is free, and yes, I browsed - hey, gamers get urges too - but to be able to actually interact with anyone costs £19.95 ($31.20) per month, or £90 ($141) for a year. I don't have any experience in the economics of this sort of thing, but that sounds like an awful lot of money just to be able to fire off a few dirty IMs to random people on the internet.

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-07-16-dating-site-for-gamers-launches-shag-a-gamer-in-uk]

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom

Yeah I agree with Daystar. This is just terrible.

But at the same time, it's so fucking funny.

Apr 28, 2008
aha... ahaha... ahahaha... AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAHAHAHAHA!

This is just freaking hilarious. I'm sorry, but I can't stop laughing like a maniac at this news. Oh man, this is too good.

Such a perfect way for me to start my day.

captcha: Rosie idea

ahahahahaha!

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
I don't get it... how does "being a gamer" actually impact how great it would be to bang someone? I don't see how they correlate.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Dammit, Daystar ninja'd the gif.

Yeah, I don't know what to say. This is... about the only response I can come up with is to sigh.

bobmus

Full Frontal Nerdity
May 25, 2010
*Insert relevant Castle gif here*

This is hilarious, but desperately sad at the same time. Also, it will probably never even succeed in its primary purpose (no matter how cringeworthy that may be), as it'll get filled up with posing douchebags who play Fifa.

DeepComet5581

Mar 30, 2010
Wow. Umm...

I don't know what to say.

'Adult' dating and get-together websites are bad enough in general, but one specifically for GAMERS?! Somehow I don't think the gender ratios will be fairly proportioned, or that anyone will actually benefit from this abhorrent generalisation of Gamers.

Where do I sign up?

subtlefuge

Lord Cromulent
May 21, 2010
Sure, $141 annually is a helluva lot cheaper than a relationship, but I'll take the premium to not be caught dead on a website called "Shagagamer".

Also, the fuck?

subtlefuge

Lord Cromulent
May 21, 2010
Suki_ said:
Fappy said:
I don't get it... how does "being a gamer" actually impact how great it would be to bang someone? I don't see how they correlate.
I think your missing the point. I think its for people both male and female who are to socially inept to go out and get laid on their own find somebody to fuck. The gamer part is just so you get people who have similar interests.
So, the fact that you enjoy having sex with complete strangers and intentionally never seeing each other again doesn't count?

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
Fappy said:
Quick-time events?

As for OT: I mean, it's good for them and everything but I wont pretend I didn't giggle.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
I very much like that the picture features models. The kind of models who honestly wouldn't need to use this website to get laid.

MASTACHIEFPWN said:
I just...
I just want to die after reading something like this exists.
Why? Most lads mags in the UK feature something just like this, and magazines like that are aimed at the "cool" people.