Swizz Beatz Dragged Into Megaupload Case

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Swizz Beatz Dragged Into Megaupload Case

The U.S. government may pursue Swizz Beatz in an effort to get around jurisdictional issues in the Megaupload case.

In the wake of the January takedown of Megaupload came the rather surprising revelation [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/115362-UPDATE-Feds-Take-Down-Megaupload] that its CEO of record was none other than Grammy-winning musician and producer Swizz Beatz. Beatz was one of several high-profile artists who publicly endorsed Megaupload in 2011, yet in spite of his connections to the company, he hasn't actually been involved in the action against it - until now.

The U.S. government's case against Megaupload and founder Kit Dotcom has stumbled badly in recent months, in part because of reasonably solid claims [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/117536-Megaupload-Wins-Evidence-Disclosure-Battle] that the U.S. has no jurisdiction over foreign corporations. Because it has no jurisdiction, Megaupload lawyers argued that it could not, and did not, properly serve the summons against the company, and the whole case thus falls apart. "In the absence of effective service of process, criminal proceedings against Megaupload cannot commence," attorneys wrote in a May filing.

But the U.S. government's most recent filing attempts to counter that claim and Megaupload's motion to dismiss the case by arguing that Beatz is a U.S. citizen, and that the company can be properly and effectively served through him.

"After Defendant Dotcom became Defendant Megaupload's Chief Innovation Officer, the company appears to have employed at least two Chief Executive Officers in the United States: first David Robb and then Kasseem David Dean (also known as Swizz Beatz)," the latest filing in United States v. Kit Dotcom, et al., reads. "These individuals represented the company before the Office of the United States Trade Representative ('USTR') in relation to Megaupload.com's inclusion on the Notorious Markets review, and, more recently, Mr. Dean through counsel has refused to cooperate with the government's investigation. Delivering a summons to Mr. Dean, a resident of the United States, in his capacity as apparent Chief Executive Officer should also constitute proper service of process upon an officer of the company."

It looks like a bit of an end-run and I have no idea how likely it is to hold water, but it does make Dotcom's position seem a little more precarious. One of the biggest questions is whether or not Beatz is still an officer of the company; his role as CEO received attention primarily because nobody knew about it until Megaupload was busted, but he's gone unmentioned ever since, as the attention has turned entirely to Dotcom. If he is, the U.S. government's hand may have just been strengthened considerably.

Source: Scribd [http://torrentfreak.com/feds-drag-rapper-swizz-beatz-into-megapload-case-120718/]

OniaPL

Nov 9, 2010
All I can say to this is:

Pick an actual name. Swizz Beatz? What is this, MMO username generator? Looking forward to the times when xxShadowgunzxx, Gangstalicious and Thuglife4evah are running around outside.

Tony2077

Dec 19, 2007
OniaPL said:

Pick an actual name. Swizz Beatz? What is this, MMO username generator? Looking forward to the times when xxShadowgunzxx, Gangstalicious and Thuglife4evah are running around outside.
an mmo name generator would have given him a good name not what ever that is that why i think some people should be banned from picking names

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
I think we are all in agreement that, regardless of whether Megaupload should or should not have been taken down, the US government are acting more and more like fraudulent amateur libel lawyers as this case goes on, which is funny because it shows how important this case is: As a landmark case all legal seizures of websites will refer to this one in court, and their pig ignorance now shows just how badly they mucked it up, because if they fail to win this case their power over international domains will be castrated.

mirage202

Mar 13, 2012
What really gets me is that it is an elected body doing all this. Not the legal department of a corporation, not the personal lawyer of an affected party, but an actual government. The people that are yes, supposed to enact laws, not enforce them.

Since when did Americans allow their politicians to stop governing, and start trying to actively police the rest of the world? Or are almost three hundred million people so brain dead from TV advertising to actually realise this?

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
mirage202 said:
What really gets me is that it is an elected body doing all this. Not the legal department of a corporation, not the personal lawyer of an affected party, but an actual government. The people that are yes, supposed to enact laws, not enforce them.

Since when did Americans allow their politicians to stop governing, and start trying to actively police the rest of the world? Or are almost three hundred million people so brain dead from TV advertising to actually realise this?
There is a movement, but since the police are apparently not american and don't give a damn ABOUT americans, they kind of busted it up instead of throwing down their beat-sticks and sitting down with us.

Neofishie

Sep 23, 2010
Regardless how this turns out, I think we can agree that the headlines surrounding this case are priceless.

In regards to how this does play out, the lack of forethought from the States in this case is astounding. Has no one ever told them that if you don't have a Plan B, you'll be on Plan H before you know it?

Seriously, this is just sad.

evilneko

Fall in line!
Jun 16, 2011
mirage202 said:

Federal prosecutors aren't elected.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
Swizz Beatz and Kim Dotcom...?

I don't even...what? What kind of names are those?

It reminds me of Regular Show, when Rigby renamed himself to 'Trash Boat'.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
Kopikatsu said:

sounds like names from 30 rock

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
I'm not a lawyer, but, if the Prosecutor opted not to file against Swizz Beats back in January, wouldn't that mean the entire extradition attempt was in bad faith? Because they deliberately chose not to file a with an officer of the corporation, claimed to the court that it was impossible, but then dragged one out once it was convenient for them?

likalaruku

Nov 29, 2008
Is it wrong of me to want the government to lose simply on the grounds that they're slimy & greedy with a swollen ego?

Neofishie

Sep 23, 2010
Blablahb said:
Neofishie said:
In regards to how this does play out, the lack of forethought from the States in this case is astounding. Has no one ever told them that if you don't have a Plan B, you'll be on Plan H before you know it?
Why would they need a plan B? Even when the case inevitably falls apart, they've still destroyed Megaupload through illegal seizing of property and money.

The copyright mob has already won this, the remainder is only a question of how much US tax money is going to disappear into this case before the FBI and other copyright lapdogs are forced to finally withdraw and move on to their next victim. Whatever the case, Megaupload is destroyed, and the people behind it are ruined. The company is defunct, its subcontractors have moved on, its files are lost and its cloud of servers have changed hands.
Is Megaupload done for? Yes, no doubt about that.

But if the case against them falls apart, then they'll lose the ability to destroy the replacement (or several smaller replacements, as what's more likely to happen). The only reason why the gov't could do it this time was because they had done something no one had done before, at least on such a scale. That's my take on the purpose behind the court battle, anyways.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
How exactly does on prosecute a body that exist on the internet? It's international. Is it a legal loophole? Can you open your murder business online and never be prosecuted? Something sound off about that.

MarlonBlazed

Jun 9, 2011
Kopikatsu said:

His is a perfectly valid stage name, it's obvious Swiss Beatz means that he uh... His music is full of holes? Maybe he imports all his tracks from Switzerland. Or maybe he is a multi-tool that makes music.

The z just means he's from the streetz, not to be confused with the streets, the streetz is the poverty stricken area in Neverland.

gphjr14

Aug 20, 2010
OniaPL said:

Must be new to the whole music industry thing.
Don't see a lot of scary spice or deadmau5s running around so I think you can relax.