Ouya Scores Hundreds of Games Through OnLive

Sarah LeBoeuf

Apr 28, 2011
Ouya Scores Hundreds of Games Through OnLive

Ouya's latest Kickstarter update heralds new games, new controllers, and a new design.

Kickstarter supporters of the mysterious Android-powered Ouya console were treated to a big project update this morning. In an email sent out to backers, the developers behind the project announced that Ouya would utilize the streaming service OnLive.

[gallery=847]

According to OnLive, "When OnLive first heard about Ouya, we were excited to see console gaming becoming more available and open. Like Ouya, we came to gaming with a new vision for making top-quality gaming accessible to more people, and we continue to look for ways to expand on that vision." The feeling was mutual: the email says that OnLive had been repeatedly requested as a feature by those who backed the console.

Using OnLive benefits Ouya in several ways, all of which should make supporters happy. With OnLive available at Ouya's launch, that means there will be hundreds of games already available to play on demand. Additionally, gamers can use OnLive on their PCs, Macs, and other digital devices, "never leaving a game behind." For those worried that the console wouldn't have enough software to make it worth the Kickstarter cost, this should ease some concerns. Even if it takes some time for indie developers to make their titles available on Ouya, the fact that there will already be a library of streaming games, as well as demos for nearly all of them, makes the console much more appealing.

On top of that, the Ouya makers also revealed the latest designs for the console and controller, both of which are still works in progress. The email pointed out that the colored controller buttons were placeholders, and "we won't leave out colorblind gamers."

If this news sways you, it's not too late to support Ouya on Kickstarter; the campaign, which currently stands at $5.5 million, is running until August 9.

Clearing the Eye

Jun 6, 2012
Remember the Zune? The N-Gage? Dreamcast? OnLive? Yeah, I barely do, either.

When this thing turns into a massive pile of failure, I called it.

MisterShine

Him Diamond
Mar 9, 2010
All my talk about "well, we really need to wait and see on this Ouya thing.."

Yeah, nevermind. We can all get excited now. That hilariously sad list of "top 20 games you want to see on Ouya!", well, not so sad anymore, since like half the games on that list are actually available on OnLive.

Apr 28, 2008
Matthew94 said:
Clearing the Eye said:

Everyone remembers the Dreamcast.

Everyone
What he said. I'll never forget the Dreamcast.

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
To be honest I think this is a great move for both companies. Perhaps it might push OnLive to boost its own stable too, which would make it a more attractive service.

Im still on the fence about Ouya in general but Im toying with backing it, feeling in a gambling mood.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
This still feels like vapor to me.

Mumorpuger

This is a...!
Apr 8, 2009
Irridium said:
Matthew94 said:
Clearing the Eye said:

Everyone
What he said. I'll never forget the Dreamcast.
I'll second that motion. I <3 Dreamcast.

Veylon

Aug 15, 2008
Clearing the Eye said:

Each of those had it's own reason for failure.
Zune: Buggy and overly expensive via generic MP3 players. And Apple.
N-Gage: Tiny screen and limited library.
Dreamcast: Cost too much and limited library.
OnLive: This is a failure?

The point of the article is that the Ouya is actually going to have a launch library, the biggest hurdle to viability. It's going to be (relatively) cheap, the second biggest hurdle. It's going to be fairly easy to program for, as it's already using an established OS. That's a fair number of positive points right there. It has the possibility of success, at least, unlike some of the other consoles that have been pushed. Remember Virtual Boy?

I'm still not getting one, though. I have a PC and I'm happy with it.

doublenix

Jul 16, 2009
It's actually a smart move both for OnLive and Ouya. The two would play nicely together in concept and spirit. Execution is going to be thing that brings it up or drags it to hell.

The biggest complaint I have for OnLive is that it tries to touch too many platforms that we're designed with their service in mind. Ouya is in an early enough stage where it can build around it if it chooses and become the preferred platform for OnLive service. More support would be driven to keep Ouya and OnLive compatibility and performance higher than any other platform. It could be damn good for both of them.

doublenix

Jul 16, 2009
Matthew94 said:
Clearing the Eye said:

Everyone
I remember the emulator disc I made for my Dreamcast that booted up playing Lil Jon's "Put Your Hood Up". Everyone loved that. LOL

Clearing the Eye

Jun 6, 2012
Veylon said:
Clearing the Eye said:

The point of the article is that the Ouya is actually going to have a launch library, the biggest hurdle to viability. It's going to be (relatively) cheap, the second biggest hurdle. It's going to be fairly easy to program for, as it's already using an established OS. That's a fair number of positive points right there. It has the possibility of success, at least, unlike some of the other consoles that have been pushed. Remember Virtual Boy?

Hm. I remember the name Virtual Boy and that Nintendo made it, but nothing else. Nothing. Someone really shit the bed with that console, lol.

Antitonic

Enlightened Dispenser Of Truth!
Feb 4, 2010
So where's this actually going to be available? Outside the US, or not?

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
Veylon said:
Clearing the Eye said:

Your last line is gong to be the problem for Ouya. If Onlive is going to be available on other platforms why buy Ouya. If you can play onlive on your PC, phones and tablets why buy the Ouya when you can have the same games with more functionality elsewhere.

getoffmycloud

Jun 13, 2011
albino boo said:
Veylon said:
Clearing the Eye said:

Your last line is gong to be the problem for Ouya. If Onlive is going to be available on other platforms why buy Ouya. If you can play onlive on your PC, phones and tablets why buy the Ouya when you can have the same games with more functionality elsewhere.
You can connect it to your TV and it is much cheaper.

Section Crow

Infamous Scribbler for Life
Aug 26, 2009
Their is something with that controller, I can't put my finger on it but it just seems... wrong.

I'm not really interested in this Ouya anymore, seems too specified.