Ouya Scores Hundreds of Games Through OnLive

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
I don't think it makes the Ouya any better. Any low-end PC can already run OnLive.
This console needs free-to-play exclusives.

D Moness

Left the building
Sep 16, 2010
NightHawk21 said:
Weren't all the games for Ouya supposed to be free? If so how is OnLive going to make money?
Nah as long as they have a free demo/trail Ouya devs see it as free to play.

OnLive great for the few countries that doesn't have lag with it , to bad for the rest of the world.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
This had better be a side feature sort of like Hulu plus on consoles and not the basis for the platform. If it isn't it completely misses the point of making an open source console.

If its a side feature, its actually a relatively decent idea... negate the limitations of the systems run of the mill 2005 PC style system specs whilst offering not only modern games but in some cases triple A level titles.

But if they want to build it around that platform this thing will be a gigantic failure because cloud gaming is a gigantic failure and what is the point of an open source console when the games are sheilded behind one of the most locked down and restrictive formats ever imagined?

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
So it's another thing that I can already have without buying a $100 cube.

MisterShine said:
That hilariously sad list of "top 20 games you want to see on Ouya!", well, not so sad anymore, since like half the games on that list are actually available on OnLive.
It's not a problem with availability, though, but that the Ouya can't run shit from this generation.

tautologico

e^(i * pi) + 1 = 0
Apr 5, 2010
Good thing the hardware will have an Ethernet port. Too bad for those of us who are not serviced by OnLive though.

MisterShine

Him Diamond
Mar 9, 2010
Phlakes said:
It's not a problem with availability, though, but that the Ouya can't run shit from this generation.
That's the thing though, if it supports OnLive and other cloud-based systems, it doesn't need to run shit from this generation by itself to be used as a feature of the system. Assuming cloud gaming gets larger (and I bet it will), while you won't get every triple-A game that comes out, getting access to most of them without buying a several-hundred-dollar console/PC would look mighty tempting to some consumers.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
I'll say what I said in the other thread on the matter:

I would demand my money back, if I gave them any. The point of the Ouya was a market place of freemium games. The point was to break away from the AAA industry and do your own thing for the little guys on an open Android platform. Now they're basically supporting the AAA industry and promoting a closed platform (arguably, the most closed platform in existence) for it.

If wanted to buy and play big budget games I have 4 platforms to play them on at the moment, I don't need another, and I'm firmly against everything OnLive represents. People in my country have severe bandwidth limits, streaming via OnLive absolutely has noticeable input lag if you try it and you don't own a damn thing you buy. Try playing a fighter with a 100m/s lag to every one of your actions and tell me how great OnLive is.

Draxz

May 2, 2012
tautologico said:
Good thing the hardware will have an Ethernet port. Too bad for those of us who are not serviced by OnLive though.
Antitonic said:
So where's this actually going to be available? Outside the US, or not?
Is there not a wireless setting to the Ouya? It must have some kinda Wifi? Though, Ethernet is better than wireless, I suppose... Apart from I'm gonna need a long ass lead to get it up to my room.

Can someone tell me when this is actually going to be released as well? By the way, I quoted Antitonic because I live in the UK and I want to know if they'll ship. Where is it even based?

(Sorry, I haven't done much homework).

Can someone quote me on this, please?

Excludos

Sep 14, 2008
Draxz said:
tautologico said:
Antitonic said:
So where's this actually going to be available? Outside the US, or not?
Is there not a wireless setting to the Ouya? It must have some kinda Wifi? Though, Ethernet is better than wireless, I suppose... Apart from I'm gonna need a long ass lead to get it up to my room.

Can someone tell me when this is actually going to be released as well? By the way, I quoted Antitonic because I live in the UK and I want to know if they'll ship. Where is it even based?

(Sorry, I haven't done much homework).

Can someone quote me on this, please?
Yes, it will have wifi. In fact, they planned on releasing it without a normal ethernet port, but decided to add one after high demands.

There is no "when" yet, but people are speculating on 6 months to a year. They ship worldwide if you join the kickstarter, but you have to pay an extra $20 if you live outside of US. Presumably its going to work in similar ways when it gets released as well.

Meight08

*Insert Funny Title*
Feb 16, 2011
Phlakes said:
So it's another thing that I can already have without buying a $100 cube.

MisterShine said:
That hilariously sad list of "top 20 games you want to see on Ouya!", well, not so sad anymore, since like half the games on that list are actually available on OnLive.
It's supposed to run small indie games like bastion-limbo-braid.

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
Considering that my internet connection isn't good enough to play over onlive on any reasonable screen resolution, I'm not excited about this in any way. Especially considering the fact that OnLive will be supported, but you still need to pay for it on a monthly basis.

In 2 years, you will already give more money than on the PS3 on launch.

It all sounds nice, but in reality, this is just a ultra weak and extremely limited PC. You could always buy a multimedia PC, connect it to your TV and it would be better than the Ouya.

Also, isn't this kinda against the primary purpose of Ouya? It was supposed to be a hackable device to support indie developer and to show the AAA industry that it can't do as it wants.
But now they go and fully support the AAA industry? Sorry, but if I invested any money on it, I would demand it back. Being promised one thing and then getting another, completely opposite things is just criminal.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
Well that means there will be a paid and unpaid section on the little miracle cube. Perhaps free-to-play won't be the only option for it.

Vetta E-dom

Mar 10, 2012
Clearing the Eye said:
Remember the Zune? The N-Gage? Dreamcast? OnLive? Yeah, I barely do, either.

When this thing turns into a massive pile of failure, I called it.
Zune is Badass.. I have 3 and every one works perfect.

I would rather have a Zune then what ever apple garbage they decide to outdate this week.

Laughing Man

Oct 10, 2008
LOL, the kickstarter ain't even up and they already sold out.

The whole purpose of the Ouya was to provide an open source console for Android development to give small developers the chance of getting their games on the big screen. Then they took a poll of the games that the potential purchaser of this console were looking for and oops looks like they were never going to be able to provide the supply for the demand.

So along comes on live, well known for using open source games from small developers.... oh wait a minute, they mostly supply triple AAA titles on their service. Yup the guys at Ouya dropped their trousers and took it like a champ.

You had to have respect for the Ouya it truly was the stupidest concept for a console since the Steam box was brought in to rumour but to sell out so quickly in a bid to attract the Modern Warfare crowd... to sell out before they even have a product in the shop... to sell out before their kickstarter has even finished! Nice!

FantomOmega

Jun 14, 2012
Mumorpuger said:
Irridium said:
Matthew94 said:
Clearing the Eye said:
Remember the Zune? The N-Gage? Dreamcast? OnLive? Yeah, I barely do, either.

When this thing turns into a massive pile of failure, I called it.
Everyone remembers the Dreamcast.

Everyone
What he said. I'll never forget the Dreamcast.
I'll second that motion. I <3 Dreamcast.
What gamer worth his salt born before 2001 that doesn't know of the Dreamcast?

Aw man I can still remember that start-up Logo Intro noise, 2nd best only to the PSOne's, that sweet nostalgia...

I pity this current generation...

Draxz

May 2, 2012
Excludos said:
Yes, it will have wifi. In fact, they planned on releasing it without a normal ethernet port, but decided to add one after high demands.

There is no "when" yet, but people are speculating on 6 months to a year. They ship worldwide if you join the kickstarter, but you have to pay an extra $20 if you live outside of US. Presumably its going to work in similar ways when it gets released as well.
What are the other means to connecting to the internet?

And the price isn't too bad then by £Pounds~ In total that'll be around £80/£90 (At most) for a Ouya~

Draskinn

May 22, 2012
Ok I'm confused, it seems a lot of folks on here must not be able to walk and chew bubble gum at the same time. Just because they are going to have Onlive on the Ouya doesn't mean they took the indie game thing out back and shot it in the head. Good lord people they can do BOTH.