Gears of War 2 Sells 3 Million

Nathan Meunier

Nov 19, 2007
Gears of War 2 Sells 3 Million

Apparently, people just love to chainsaw fight with the Locust Horde. The sequel to Epic's apocalyptic shooter hit the 3 million sales mark in its first month on shelves.

While it took the original Gears of War two and a half months to sell 3 million copies, the game's hotly anticipated sequel sold the same number of copies [http://www.gamespot.com/news/6202157.html] in the four weeks since its November 7 release - less than half that time.

"Microsoft confirmed to me this afternoon that Gears of War 2 sell-through surpassed 3 million units as of last week," Epic Games vice president Mark Rein told Edge [http://www.edge-online.com/news/confirmed-gears-2-passes-3m] earlier this week.

If things continue at this rate, GOW 2 is set to steadily outsell the 5.5 million copies the original sold worldwide following its 2006 release and eventual port to PC in 2007. Unfortunately for PC gaming enthusiast, GOW 2 is slated to remain an Xbox 360 exclusive. We can only hope Microsoft will change its mind when the game's sales eventually slow down on its console.

Brokkr

Nov 25, 2008
Wasn't it CliffyB who was complaining about the used game market killing the video game business? And how no one at Epic is allowed to buy used because of it. And yet numbers like these seem to tell a different story.

NeedAUserName

Aug 7, 2008
Brokkr said:
Wasn't it CliffyB who was complaining about the used game market killing the video game business? And how no one at Epic is allowed to buy used because of it. And yet numbers like these seem to tell a different story.
Yeah, but I'm pretty sure he was just trying to make more money, in a cheap way.

On topic, it isn't really to surprising, there are at least a million GOW fanboys.

Galletea

Inexplicably Awesome
Sep 27, 2008
I want to say what I'm feeling, but I don't want to start a war.
I'll just leave it at *sigh of despair*

ElArabDeMagnifico

Dec 20, 2007
Brokkr said:
Used games stopped this from selling 20 million!

nathan-dts

Jun 18, 2008
galletea said:
I don't think anyone on the escapist likes this game. So feel free to say what you feel

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
nathan-dts said:
galletea said:
I don't think anyone on the escapist likes this game. So feel free to say what you feel
You would be wrong. It's not disk-delivered rapture, and it is a tad short, but it's a solid title (with Horde mode as a nice draw) and I certainly don't feel that I've wasted my money.

-- Steve

nathan-dts

Jun 18, 2008
Anton P. Nym said:
nathan-dts said:
galletea said:
You would be wrong. It's not disk-delivered rapture, and it is a tad short, but it's a solid title (with Horde mode as a nice draw) and I certainly don't feel that I've wasted my money.

-- Steve
The reason the first Gears of war sold well wasn't the fact that it had a good campaign, hell it wasn't even because it had chainsaws; it sold so well because of the online multiplayer mode, which in Gears of war 2, takes 20 minutes to even start a match, not to mention lag issues and all the bullshit with the weapons acting up.

P.S For even more Gears of war 2 multiplayer crap, type "Gears of war 2 bullshit" into youtube.

EDIT: please note that this wasn't a shot at you personally.

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
Oh, I won't paper over GoW2's miserable versus multiplayer... it has all the flaws of the first with new ones piled on top, and their implementation of the Party system leaves much to be desired. But the co-op and Horde modes of online play are well done and can be immense time-sinks if you're not careful, and I think the campaign in the sequel is a substantial improvement on the original.

Not perfect, and not a Game of the Year candidate (especially this year, with such a crowded field) by any means, but I found it worth the purchase.

-- Steve

Mar 26, 2008
nathan-dts said:
galletea said:
You'd be dead wrong; it is my personal Game Of The Year, and I've played a lot of them this year (including the brilliant MGS4). I was sceptical coming into it but it far surpassed my lofty expectations.
I haven't met a person who has played it that would slag it off.

D_987

Jun 15, 2008
Gears of War 2's Multi-player may be lacking, but it has the best campaign out of any shooter I've played this year.

fluffylandmine

Jul 23, 2008
Indigo_Dingo said:
D_987 said:
Gears of War 2's Multi-player may be lacking, but it has the best campain out of any shooter I've played this year.
Since when is campaign the emphasis for a modern shooter? Sorta smacks me of being the fattest man in Ethiopia.
He weighs 275 lbs.(I know you use metric but you can see the point)!

Anyway I don't play any game for the story, I play them for gameplay.

D_987

Jun 15, 2008
Indigo_Dingo said:
D_987 said:
Gears of War 2's Multi-player may be lacking, but it has the best campain out of any shooter I've played this year.
Since when is campaign the emphasis for a modern shooter? Sorta smacks me of being the fattest man in Ethiopia.
I usually enjoy playing the campaign over multi-player.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
I have GoW 1 and 2 and I'm slowly playing through it. So far Gears of War 1 is... well, it's an interesting ballet watching these roided guys gliding from cover to cover. It's hard to state what I feel about it, it's fun but...I'm not sure if it won't be boring.

nathan-dts

Jun 18, 2008
Programmed_For_Damage said:
nathan-dts said:
galletea said:
You'd be dead wrong; it is my personal Game Of The Year, and I've played a lot of them this year (including the brilliant MGS4). I was sceptical coming into it but it far surpassed my lofty expectations.
I haven't met a person who has played it that would slag it off.
With the exception of me?

nathan-dts

Jun 18, 2008
Indigo_Dingo said:
D_987 said:
Agreed; all Shooters thrive on thier multiplayer: Resistance 1/2, Gears 1, MGO 2 etc etc.

nathan-dts

Jun 18, 2008
Indigo_Dingo said:
nathan-dts said:
Indigo_Dingo said:
D_987 said:
Agreed; all Shooters thrive on thier multiplayer: Resistance 1/2, Gears 1, MGO 2 etc etc.
MGO2? That actually means Metal Gear Onlinbe 2, would you mind explaining?
Well technically the newer MGS4 MGO is the second MGO because MGO which came with subsistence was the first.