BioWare Defends DLC Business Strategy

Marshall Honorof

Feb 16, 2011
BioWare Defends DLC Business Strategy

Gamers are happy to pay for DLC, online passes, and microtransactions, says BioWare.

If you played Mass Effect 3, you've probably noticed that the game has more DLC than you can shake an Omni-Tool at. Between multiplayer expansions, ending patches, online passes, and item packs, you could end up spending a lot of money on top of the initial $60 investment to see the end of modern gaming's most celebrated sci-fi trilogy. While some of the DLC is free, and the rest maxes out at about $10 a pop, BioWare has been raking in money hand-over-three-fingered-fist with these downloadable extras.

While giving a presentation at GDC Europe, Fernando Melo, director of BioWare's online development, laid out the company's business plan. "Fans do want more content," said Melo. "From the moment the game launches ... So it needs to be there when it's ready." Mass Effect 3 fans will remember From Ashes, the day one DLC pack that added an extra squadmate who could add quite a lot of backstory and combat advantages from a relatively early point in the plot. Even if fans do not want to dish out an additional 1/6 of the game's cost as soon as they get home from the store, Melo argued that there's no rush. "They choose when to pick it up, day one or later."

In addition to touting the virtues of an Online Pass - a one-time content access code that made up 11% of Mass Effect 2's DLC revenue - Melo believed that microtransactions are the best way to ensure a constant revenue stream from a game that has already been released. "If you have five DLC packs at $10 each, you can only ever earn a total of $50," Melo explained. Mass Effect 3, however, offers cheap, randomized multiplayer item packs, which are also purchasable with in-game funds. Offering real-money transactions for convenience or in-game money for time and patience offers the best of both worlds, according to Melo. "Gamers are actually happier, as they are able to spend money when they want."

For those who might scoff at Mass Effect 3's DLC and microtransactions, Melo did offer one interesting point: These sales subsidized the game's plentiful free multiplayer DLC, ensuring that players get a steady stream of varied content, and that developers get to stay on the Mass Effect 3 team. Whether or not gamers are really "happier" with this business strategy is hard to say, but at the very least, they're not too upset to open their wallets for it.

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-08-13-bioware-on-how-to-monetise-players-day-one-dlc-online-passes-micro-transactions]

INVALIDUSERNAME

May 23, 2012
Let the vitriol spew in 3...2...1...

Not that big of a deal. I figured the lottery multiplayer paid for the free packs, and quite frankly, if people are willing to pay for it, it's their business.

As for their singleplayer DLC, let's see if Leviathan is worth the $10.

Scorpid

Jul 24, 2011
Oh yes Mr. Melo I love nothing more then that feeling like I was just shook down for more money. Everyone takes joy in knowing that the first 60 dollars they put down was only the entry fee! Give us more please.

tmande2nd

Oct 20, 2010
This is why I am seriously happy that I deleted my Origin account, and uninstalled every thing Bioware from my computer.

They just are running around ripping people off, and trying to do the least amount of work.
Those MP packs? They were just some new maps and characters nothing interesting.

Bioware is simply dead to me.

Warped_Ghost

Sep 26, 2009
I actual enjoy the micro transitions because they keep the dlc free, the operations worth Bioware's time, and it still isn't pay to win.

Fr]anc[is

May 13, 2010
As obnoxious as I find the gambling to be, it's still not as spammy or obnoxious as say Saints Row 3 or Dungeon Defenders.

Absolutionis

Sep 18, 2008
Let the DLC flow. That means more content for when they release the actual version of their games.

I'm still waiting for a Mass Effect 3 Complete Edition to come out for a normal price (<$50). I'll be patient even if it takes another year and another EA stock dip.

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
DVS BSTrD said:
Marshall Honorof said:
For those who might scoff at Mass Effect 3's DLC and microtransactions, Melo did offer one interesting point: These sales subsidized the game's plentiful free multiplayer DLC, ensuring that players get a steady stream of varied content, and that developers get to stay on the Mass Effect 3 team.
Because that's all that really matters in this day and age isn't it? The Multiplayer.
Yeah, it's not like they're also working on single player DLC that'll be released this summer.

Oh wait.

Apr 28, 2008
So since this makes lots of money in the long run, that means they'll be able to afford to sell their games at a cheaper up-front cost, right? I mean, that's why there's a $60 price point, because they need to make back all the money they spent making it. But with these DLC's making a lot of money as well, that means we'll get cheaper games as a result of DLC helping make back the budget, right?

Right?

toomuchnothing

Jul 5, 2010
ME3 MP packs are a slippery slope. They work for me as is because its purely a co-op MP so someone who blows hundreds of dollars to max their ultra-rares benefits themselves but also benefits me as they will have some serious firepower even if they lack any real talent if they end up in a game with me. If this game had a competitive mode then I probably would never touch the thing simply because being able to buy power (guns/gear/characters in this case) would give anyone willing to drop real money on it an advantage over those who don't.

Its a system like that that scares me away from products and from what I've read the new Mech Warrior Tactics F2P game will basically do that very thing. Varying packs will contain different rarities of gear/mechs/pilots and they will all be purchasable with real world currency as well as in game currency. Just seems pointless to me to try to compete in a pvp orientated game that can offer such dramatic shortcuts and advantages to those with money to burn versus people who just play the game or buy substantially less shop items. Keep the microtransactions in those situations limited to cosmetic or even just side grades imo or at the very least offer some solid matchmaking that tries to balance opponents based on some sort of metric you've developed.

Sep 14, 2009
Absolutionis said:
I'm still waiting for a Mass Effect 3 Complete Edition to come out for a normal price (<$50). I'll be patient even if it takes another year and another EA stock dip.
good luck with that one, they are just about as bad as activision is on pricing, EA will sell it's soul 100x over before it releases a GOTY edition, let alone one that is less then 70 bucks. (seriously, when was the last time they chopped prices on any bioware DLC? anyone? if so, i must not be paying attention at those very rare times.)

Draconalis

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2008
Marshall Honorof said:
"If you have five DLC packs at $10 each, you can only ever earn a total of $50, and quite frankly, that's simply not enough. We want more of your money. MORE!" Melo explained.

Like... I understand that the AAA games cost so much that developers have pretty much worked themselves into a corner in terms of profit... but I really can't help but shake the feeling they are just a bunch of greedy douches...

It truly saddens me to watch the industry spiral out of control. It's nothing new, of course... but it's a terrible thing to watch none the less.

thethird0611

Feb 19, 2011
Ok, so a few things with this.

1. Most of the DLC is free (right now), and it makes the multiplayer feel fresh here and there, at no charge.

2. The item packs you can buy, hell, I dont mind, its extremely well implemented. The only time you see them is when you want to buy a pack, points or in game money. They are also available completly free with in game money, and the most expensive can be bought with just 3 successful victories. I dont mind it.

3. Day one DLC.... No. Im pretty sure most people agree. No. It should either be a pre-order bonus, or on the disc. No selling day one DLC. Leviathan? Well, I cant have judgement yet. Still have to see if its going to be worth the MS point. If its like Kasumi or Arrival, it will maybe be worth it.

Yeah. Death to pay-DLC. Life to expansion packs. Feel free to add non-intrusive micro transactions.

Draconalis

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2008
Irridium said:
So since this makes lots of money in the long run, that means they'll be able to afford to sell their games at a cheaper up-front cost, right? I mean, that's why there's a $60 price point, because they need to make back all the money they spent making it. But with these DLC's making a lot of money as well, that means we'll get cheaper games as a result of DLC helping make back the budget, right?

Right?

Heh heh... look at you... so cute with your hopes and dreams...

Awexsome

Were it so easy
Mar 25, 2009
I liked how ME approached it's online methods very much.

The microtransaction packs served both those wanted to fork over the money and for me it was a little thing to spend a few leftover points on when I had some on a couple occasions. Those who also want to blow their money to get some high tier stuff instantly can as well. Like they said those who do splurge for convenience pay for those who don't.

The biggest challenge of a model like that is imbalancing multiplayer which is a bigger issue in competitive rather than co-op but you still can buy good high tier packs yourself in a reasonable amount of time to not get frustrated over it.

Online passes don't seem like shady underhanded business tactics to me at all, just a fair way to chip a few bucks out of the used gaming market. Not trying to destroy it like some people fear the next console generation might try and do.

IMO a lot of the people complaining about all this optional stuff it fit right into that category of en... wait for it... titled. Cliche'd but true.

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
You made a mistake with the headline:

EA Defends DLC Business Strategy

There. Fixed it for you.

Yea.... I have nothing new to add. I've already stated that I am only buying the game used and never touching the DLC to any EA game.

Also, back a million years ago when Microsoft published part 1, it was 400 points for the Bring down the Sky mission that was both awesome and took 2 to 3 hours to plow through it.

And no customer has ever been happy about an online pass... ever.

blalien

Jul 3, 2009
I'm sorry people. I think a lot of you have legitimate points to make, but when your argument boils down to "I don't want to pay money for things," it becomes physically painful to read. Paid DLC and preorder bonuses aren't going away, for the simple reason that things cost money to make and the profit margin for video games is stretched razor thin. We might as well find a way that we'll be happy with it.